Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 03:33 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddieb226 View Post
Thanks a bunch for the reply. Our kids currently go to private school, so that is a definite option for us. We do however like to be in a more suburban/country type setting. I have an aunt who lives in Reinholds pa and I really like the privacy, however it's just way to far from philly to commute. I'll definitely look into your suggestions, thanks again!
Someone already suggested Jenkintown which you should consider. Other school districts that will have some houses in your price range in that general vicinity to look at include, Abington, Springfield Township and Colonial (houses in Plymouth and Whitemarsh Townships are in the Colonial school district). All of those districts will give your husband access to a train with a 45 minute or less ride to Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 03:33 PM

21 posts, read 19,040 times
Thank you so much for the suggestion. We decided to up our budget after being approved for a VA home mortgage for $475,000. I think will help our search significantly. We would like to stay on the PA side because my husband is a gun collector . We were looking at homes in Birdsboro, Downington, Mohnton, not sure how realistic that commute would be but we like the more county private feel it has in those areas. Are there any towns a little closer to Philly that might offer the same feel, land, and bang for your buck as those places?

Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 PM

712 posts, read 701,036 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the suggestion. We decided to up our budget after being approved for a VA home mortgage for $475,000. I think will help our search significantly. We would like to stay on the PA side because my husband is a gun collector . We were looking at homes in Birdsboro, Downington, Mohnton, not sure how realistic that commute would be but we like the more county private feel it has in those areas. Are there any towns a little closer to Philly that might offer the same feel, land, and bang for your buck as those places?
It would take more than two hours to get into the city at rush hour from Mohnton and roughly two from Birdsboro. Unless your husband enjoys having a brutal super commute you’re looking way too far outside of the city. Since you you live in Mobile perhaps you’ve been to Atlanta. If you’ve been there at rush hour then you will know what to expect in Philadelphia. Living in Mohnton would be like living in LaGrange and commuting to Atlanta every day.

If you want a country feel your best bet is to look for somewhere within reasonable driving distanced the Downingtown or Thorndale rail stations or within reasonable distance of the stations on the northern end of the Doylestown Line starting at the Link Belt station. The commute will still be very long but at least it doesn’t require driving well over an hour through soul crushing traffic. Also bear in mind that a monthly rail pass from those areas are $204/month.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:43 AM

I really appreciate your feedback on this one. I didn't realize it was such a long commute. Google maps says its about an hour but I did not know traffic was that bad. This is really helpful for our search. Thank you!

Old 08-24-2019, 09:19 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,595,514 times
Quote:
I really appreciate your feedback on this one. I didn't realize it was such a long commute. Google maps says its about an hour but I did not know traffic was that bad. This is really helpful for our search. Thank you!
Some people commute from Delaware to center city. Just throwing that out, don't know how feasible for your needs.

Last edited by Maddie104; 08-24-2019 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-24-2019, 04:43 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Since your husband likes guns, you should definitely choose PA. When my husband retired from the military in the 1990s, he took a job in New Jersey.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:14 PM

HA! yes, that's the major reason he wants to stay in PA. He's a good ole' country boy at heart. Me being from NY I could care less but it's important to him so I support that. I'm getting good feedback on here and I certainly appreciate it. So far, we have found some nice houses in Morgantown, Downington, Landenberg, Denver, and Oxford. I know that might be a far commute, but these areas have more of what we are looking for. He is willing to drive to public transportation and commute to Philly up to an hour if necessary. I hope we are on the right track.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
Quote:
HA! yes, that's the major reason he wants to stay in PA. He's a good ole' country boy at heart. Me being from NY I could care less but it's important to him so I support that. I'm getting good feedback on here and I certainly appreciate it. So far, we have found some nice houses in Morgantown, Downington, Landenberg, Denver, and Oxford. I know that might be a far commute, but these areas have more of what we are looking for. He is willing to drive to public transportation and commute to Philly up to an hour if necessary. I hope we are on the right track.

For your own (or your husbands) sake please make sure you do your research on commute times. You will easily be looking at 90+minute commutes each way from these towns door to door. Looking at traffic right now on google maps is inaccurate as traffic is significantly lower in the summer months. After labor day traffic will be back to its normal, horrific, levels. I just worry you are underestimating commute time. 46 miles takes a lot longer to travel in the Philadelphia area than it does in Alabama. For example I live in NW philly on the edge of the City. I sometimes drive to work in center city. My house is about 9 miles away. During the summer months I can drive to work in about 30-35 minutes. After labor day it will often take at least an hour. Each of the options would involve hour+ long train rides plus significant drives to train stations. That may be something you are willing to accept to live in a more rural area but just be aware.

Old 08-26-2019, 09:36 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
We live close to Chadds Ford (southeast of Downingtown) and my wife occasionally drives into the city for work and it is not an easy commute at all during rush hour. But if you truly want the country life within your budget, that's a sacrifice he'll have to make.

Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM

Thank you so much for the input, I am definitely trying to make the right decision. Commute is a big factor, he is wanting to use the train system so I'm not sure how much that will help commute time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia