Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia a Rust Belt City?
Yes 30 26.32%
No 76 66.67%
Depends 8 7.02%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:53 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,090,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Why doesn't SEPA just make its own state? then we can be happy and watch the rest of former Pennsylvania rot.. sorry Pittsburgh
Then they'd say the reason the rest of the former Pennsylvania was rotting was because the Philadelphia region "took" everything away.

I've always thought that the five SEPA counties plus South Jersey would make a great state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Pittsburgh is also in the green on that map.

Chicago is still considered rust belt, though, which surprises me.

Old 11-01-2016, 12:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I don't like to pile on, but it's actually quite sad and depressing how much the Philadelphia region is now "carrying" Pennsylvania economically. Based on the most recent September 2016 jobs numbers, I'd estimate at least 90% of the jobs created in the past year in Pennsylvania are based in the Philadelphia region, whereas the Philadelphia area only contains under 40% of Pennsylvania's population: Monthly News Releases

Pittsburgh is notably showing great growth in a really lucrative few sectors, but unfortunately, this is not enough to create a prevailing trend.
Pittsburgh needs to stop its population decline - their entire region, not just the city - if they want to improve their economic contribution to the state:

"Among the nation’s 30 largest metropolitan areas, Pittsburgh is the only one deemed to have fewer people on July 1, 2015, than were counted during the official 2010 census. The region is estimated to have lost 5,051 people last year and 3,240 overall since the official count, despite small gains from 2010-12."
Census shows population decline in Pittsburgh region | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 11-01-2016, 02:23 PM

93 posts, read 96,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Pittsburgh needs to stop its population decline - their entire region, not just the city - if they want to improve their economic contribution to the state:

"Among the nation’s 30 largest metropolitan areas, Pittsburgh is the only one deemed to have fewer people on July 1, 2015, than were counted during the official 2010 census. The region is estimated to have lost 5,051 people last year and 3,240 overall since the official count, despite small gains from 2010-12."
In Pittsburgh's favor is, it has a downtown that actually is larger then its Metro population would suggest. It just lacks the retail component it lost as many cores did. It had newer skyscrapers before Philly lifted its height limit. Giving a impression for years of a bigger core.
But to Philadelphians. (my opinion) Pittsburgh may as well be in the Midwest. Yet alone in PA too. It probably has a closer tie to Cleveland despite sports rivalries. Philly's influence is in PA is basically to the Susquehanna River to Harrisburg south to Gettysburg. But quickly loses influence Allentown through the Northeast to NYC. Not All of course.

Even East of the Susquehanna river. Its surprising the number of Pittsburgh sports fans are a good % of the mix. Some of this is related to or seeing a sense of a connection, more of Central PA a bit more to Pittsburgh way. Even East of the River. As for Pittsburgh's influence. It is quickly west of the Susquehanna river ALL toward Pittsburgh. Very quickly. So it has basically Most of Central PA west of the river and all of Western PA.

It is not about hate. But Philly had its negative connotations ( signifying or suggestive of an associative or secondary meaning in addition to the primary meaning). As a tight Row-home city that outside of Philly were seen as a lower-end and Old housing stock much cheaper then newer unattached housing. This really does NOT including Colonial era quaint neighborhoods in Philly's CC. Also the stigma of dirty and debris strewn streets and highly visible in neighborhoods. Pittsburgh got far less of that.

This is not merely a broad misconstruing of true facts exaggerated. I know Central Pa east of the river and long standing connections and family there. It is NOT about being misinformed on Philly's gentrification.
But when I found out the Philadelphia has had NO STREET-CLEANING for years by the city. Just Center City does. It certainly does not help appearances even today in some neighborhoods especially.

Budget Cuts Force Philadelphians to Clean Their Own Streets - NBC News

Article has in BOLD "Philadelphia is the only major American city without a comprehensive street cleaning. But they do loan out brooms."
The lack of any major cleaning services in the rest of the city is largely a persistent aftereffect of budget cuts in 2009 amid the recession. Once you LOOSE such a undertaking in cost. It's hard to bring it back. Also the tightness of most of Philly's neighborhoods. Have residents with few places to move cars for street-cleaning and were happy to see it stopped. Perhaps till they saw the difference it made?

I personally do not see some declines in population as a negative thing. It probably is not a every year thing from now on anyway. Even Chicago experience years of growth to declines recently. Statistically though. Its majority loss was in Black flight from its Southside Gang infested parts we hear negativity on. But its core is anything but declines in anything and its North side.

All our Major cities and not so major ones. Have budget issues to politics ones and corruption. But city services are something that usually gets cut in RADICAL Budget issues. Yet Philly CAN BOAST of a Revived Core spilling out to other areas other then CC.
Chicago's financial issues are worse in pension promises debt. But it HAS NOT CUT Beautification investing and infrastructure improvements and STILL HAS a CITYWIDE Street-Cleaning. Reading EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD street has a cleaning April through November at least twice a month. Downtown is probably daily for how clean it is.

Don't mean to infiltrate another city into the thread. But for comparison I mention differences.
Always though WHEN YOU POINT OUT ANOTHER CITIES NEGATIVES OR POORER SHOWING IN VS. YOUR CITY and post they need to improve in something. Others no doubt. Can post issues YOUR CITY NEEDS TO CORRECT.

As for Philly being a RUST-BELT CITY or not? In appearances many times. It does. I did not vote though.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:29 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
New York City can get away with being disgusting and dirty (which it is), yet Philly gets a bad rap for it. Ugh.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoForIt View Post
In Pittsburgh's favor is, it has a downtown that actually is larger then its Metro population would suggest. It just lacks the retail component it lost as many cores did. It had newer skyscrapers before Philly lifted its height limit. Giving a impression for years of a bigger core.
But to Philadelphians. (my opinion) Pittsburgh may as well be in the Midwest. Yet alone in PA too. It probably has a closer tie to Cleveland despite sports rivalries. Philly's influence is in PA is basically to the Susquehanna River to Harrisburg south to Gettysburg. But quickly loses influence Allentown through the Northeast to NYC. Not All of course.

Even East of the Susquehanna river. Its surprising the number of Pittsburgh sports fans are a good % of the mix. Some of this is related to or seeing a sense of a connection, more of Central PA a bit more to Pittsburgh way. Even East of the River. As for Pittsburgh's influence. It is quickly west of the Susquehanna river ALL toward Pittsburgh. Very quickly. So it has basically Most of Central PA west of the river and all of Western PA.

It is not about hate. But Philly had its negative connotations ( signifying or suggestive of an associative or secondary meaning in addition to the primary meaning). As a tight Row-home city that outside of Philly were seen as a lower-end and Old housing stock much cheaper then newer unattached housing. This really does NOT including Colonial era quaint neighborhoods in Philly's CC. Also the stigma of dirty and debris strewn streets and highly visible in neighborhoods. Pittsburgh got far less of that.

This is not merely a broad misconstruing of true facts exaggerated. I know Central Pa east of the river and long standing connections and family there. It is NOT about being misinformed on Philly's gentrification.
But when I found out the Philadelphia has had NO STREET-CLEANING for years by the city. Just Center City does. It certainly does not help appearances even today in some neighborhoods especially.

Budget Cuts Force Philadelphians to Clean Their Own Streets - NBC News

Article has in BOLD "Philadelphia is the only major American city without a comprehensive street cleaning. But they do loan out brooms."
The lack of any major cleaning services in the rest of the city is largely a persistent aftereffect of budget cuts in 2009 amid the recession. Once you LOOSE such a undertaking in cost. It's hard to bring it back. Also the tightness of most of Philly's neighborhoods. Have residents with few places to move cars for street-cleaning and were happy to see it stopped. Perhaps till they saw the difference it made?

I personally do not see some declines in population as a negative thing. It probably is not a every year thing from now on anyway. Even Chicago experience years of growth to declines recently. Statistically though. Its majority loss was in Black flight from its Southside Gang infested parts we hear negativity on. But its core is anything but declines in anything and its North side.

All our Major cities and not so major ones. Have budget issues to politics ones and corruption. But city services are something that usually gets cut in RADICAL Budget issues. Yet Philly CAN BOAST of a Revived Core spilling out to other areas other then CC.
Chicago's financial issues are worse in pension promises debt. But it HAS NOT CUT Beautification investing and infrastructure improvements and STILL HAS a CITYWIDE Street-Cleaning. Reading EVERY NEIGHBORHOOD street has a cleaning April through November at least twice a month. Downtown is probably daily for how clean it is.

Don't mean to infiltrate another city into the thread. But for comparison I mention differences.
Always though WHEN YOU POINT OUT ANOTHER CITIES NEGATIVES OR POORER SHOWING IN VS. YOUR CITY and post they need to improve in something. Others no doubt. Can post issues YOUR CITY NEEDS TO CORRECT.

As for Philly being a RUST-BELT CITY or not? In appearances many times. It does. I did not vote though.
The problem with the comments in your post is that there is really no city in Pennsylvania that does not have (more than) its share of problems. This is probably due to many factors, including de-industrialization, unions and their anti-business policies, and a lack of concern by rural legislators who prey on hate/fear/ignorance. All of this said, there is really no suburban place in Pennsylvania that is growing like gangbusters, either. So why certain PA residents find it necessary to complain about a place they know little about, while at the same time their own little corner of PA is dying a slow death, is beyond me. Imagine the nerve of someone in Erie or Altoona or Johnstown or Braddock or East Stroudsburg or Allentown or Reading or Harrisburg or Coatesville or Scranton or Wilkes Barre or Kutztown or Lock Haven or Oxford or Greeley or Sterling or in rural Bradford or Forest County saying "Well, that Philadelphia sure is a bad place - the people there are poor and the whole city is run down." IMO that defines almost every area in PA.

The suburbs of Philadelphia are generally wealthy, and there are nice places in the Lancaster/Lebanon County areas, plus nice sections of the Lehigh Valley, plus some nice sections of the Pittsburgh area, and there is some middle class around Penn State (taxpayer-funded) but other than this, many places in PA have lower educational attainment and lower income levels and stagnant/negative population growth (which has been going on for decades now). This does not mean that these are nasty areas to be avoided, but they are not stellar, and the residents of these places need to consider this before they vomit off their hatred toward Philadelphia.

Last edited by BPP1999; 11-01-2016 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-01-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGoForIt View Post
Apparently you are not familiar with my postings. I'm on record that Philly needs to improve its poverty, schools, nimby'ism and business climate. I don't feel the need to raise that in every thread that compares Philly with another city, however, unless these are the aspects under consideration.

Do the caps mean you're yelling?

Old 11-01-2016, 03:54 PM

93 posts, read 96,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
New York City can get away with being disgusting and dirty (which it is), yet Philly gets a bad rap for it. Ugh.
Sadly it's true. To overcome some already negative stigmas and stereotypes. Other cities but NYC, SF and maybe LA and I guess New Orleans? Have to do their best in Aesthetics and to CHANGE the perceptions of Visitors, by going the extra mile. Sorry but true. I know a city as Chicago would not get away with things Manhattan can especially. It's lucky to have its alleys also. At least trash can be hid their. You even still hear Pittsburgh gets a more favorable to livability aspect then Philly does. Its one of the Whitest large cities also. Not sure how it did that?

A vast majority of the population in the Pittsburgh region and the nation identified as White, non-Hispanic. In fact, Pittsburgh is the Whitest metro area in America with a population of 1 million or more The share of Blacks in the city was higher than the shares of Blacks in the county, Pittsburgh MSA, and the nation.
Asians and Hispanics were a small proportion of the population in the Pittsburgh area. By contrast, the share of Hispanics in the nation surpassed that of Blacks.

2015 2016
Pittsburgh demographics

White 66%
Black 26%
Asian 0.4%
Latino 2%

Philadelphia demographics

White 42.5%
Black 43.2%
Latino 8.5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
The problem with the comments in your post is that there is really no city in Pennsylvania that does not have (more than) its share of problems. This is probably due to many factors, including de-industrialization, unions and their anti-business policies, and a lack of concern by rural legislators who prey on hate/fear/ignorance. All of this said, there is really no suburban place in Pennsylvania that is growing like gangbusters, either. So why certain PA residents find it necessary to complain about a place they know little about, while at the same time their little corner of PA is dying a slow death, is beyond me. As an example, imagine someone in Erie or Altoona or Johnstown or Braddock or East Stroudsburg or Allentown or Reading or Harrisburg or Coatesville or even in rural Bradford or Forest County saying "Well, that Philadelphia sure is a bad place - the people there are poor and the whole city is run down." IMO that defines almost every area in PA, including many of the rural ones.
First I will say no one is yelling to another poster by me. All I will address on that.

Smaller cities all through PA have similar issues. Poorer residents where cheaper older stock of housing (generally row-housing varieties) As was the standard Philly set for PA it seems. The smaller old cities in central PA east of the Susquehanna river. I have family in. Has Row-homes that can be gotten for $20,000 to $25,000. No exaggeration. Newer housing is much more.

It is just in Philly Row-homes are transformed to high-end housing. Location, location in part. But elsewhere it's seen as lowest level housing. But enough on that. I stand by what my earlier post stated and it is what it is. I have NO INTENSION of getting into any tat for tat arguing as if I am bashing Philly. I am not even trying to say Pittsburgh in any way. Pittsburgh is a better city. But it has less negative connotations today. Then it did as a Steel city going full steam.

All my post was about was Philly has seen a harder time overcoming its negative connotations. I added no neighborhood street-cleaning. As the only major city with none outside its downtown and core. Does NOT HELP as one aspect the city had the bad wrap on not a very clean city. In the first place.
I in no way insinuated no improvement and gentrification going strong is changing many aspects of it. But for reasons I CERTIANLY ill not go into in opinion or fact here. Philly still has a bit of a IMAGE PROBLEM and Baltimore. Despite inroads in improvements in all I basically will say. Let actual Philadelphians or ex ones? Do their defending the thread topic.

I only brought in Pittsburgh when my post followed this post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

I mentioned Chicago as a city whose much improved aesthetics are aiding it in improved reputation. In cleanliness due to extra efforts in its core and a citywide street-cleaning fleet where one can actually call to have olds appliances and mattresses picked-up. The improvements are in part by tourist expectations surpassed. All despite its gangland murders always in the news and blame for giving us President Obama and ultra-liberal city politics as corrupt and city deep in promised pension debt it can't reply support.

My last post at least in this thread. I also did not vote here. But will in a few days.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine to vine View Post
apparently you are not familiar with my postings. I'm on record that philly needs to improve its poverty, schools, nimby'ism and business climate. I don't feel the need to raise that in every thread that compares philly with another city, however, unless these are the aspects under consideration.

Do the caps mean you're yelling?
steeps???

Old 11-01-2016, 05:35 PM

^^^ Bingo! Brace for the rowhouse castigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia