Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2015, 05:11 PM

6 posts, read 14,985 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I will be moving to Philadelphia either in November or December 2015. I've been looking online for a few weeks now for a place to live; Craigslist, trulia, zillow, apartmentratings.com, rent.com.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- Apartments, duplexes and rooms are fine, not as open to roommates.
- Basic unit is fine, I'm very simple(studio preferred).
- I would like to live as close as possible to the University
- I do have a budget, I'm a single female.
- I want the area to be safe.
- I don't mind travelling to the campus if needed (I have a car). Limit is 12-15 miles away from campus.
- If I do need to live farther from campus, I'm hoping to take the transit or bus during the winter (I hate driving in the snow, makes me nervous. However I do have experience. I'm moving from Ohio).
- I've never had a roommate but with the right female roommate its possible.

I've listed 12 apartments already and a noted few places from Zillow, but I'm wanting to get feedback from people who are familiar with the area.

The area's I've been looking at are: King of Prussia, Radnor, Rosemont, Bryn Mawr, Havertown and Philadelphia. I'm noticing that the Philadelphia area near Havertown seems sketchy? Should I be worried about that area?

I'm so surprised that I can't find many available duplexes, studios in the area on craigslist! I keep hearing that craigslist has good deals but I haven't found any on craigslist. Unless I'm searching wrong.

Any suggestions would be helpful! I'm so excited about this move and I have heard many good things about Villanova! Yay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 08:42 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
You say, 'I do have a budget' but then don't say what it is. That would be helpful. Also, looking for an apartment or a house to rent? I live in Havertown; I'm not sure what area you're talking about when you say 'the Philadelphia area near Havertown.' Can you expand?

Old 11-12-2015, 11:30 PM

6 posts, read 14,985 times
The most $1k.

I've been looking at Havertown too. I would actually like a studio, but I'm having a hard time finding them in my price range which is really surprising to me since there are 3 schools near Villanova. :O I would think there would be a lot available since there are students everywhere.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:37 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Here's a complex in Devon, about 10-20 minutes (~ 5 miles or so) west of Villanova. They are older but in no way seedy or in a bad area:

Available Main Line Apartments, Devon Apartments

The Main Line is an expensive area so you may have a hard time finding something for under $1,000.

Try this as well: Home Properties Of Devon - Avon Road | Devon, PA Apartments for Rent | Rent.com®
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia