Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 04:38 PM

12,952 posts, read 18,810,807 times

Advertisements

An interactive map site is attached. You can fill in the spaces and choose a rent or income map. Try out the size button. You might have to play with it. Are the maps marked accurately for Philadelphia?

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2013 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 05:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,789,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
An interactive map site is attached. You can fill in the spaces and choose a rent or income map. Try out the size button. You might have to play with it. Are the maps marked accurately for Philadelphia?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
based on my personal knowledge the maps seem to be reasonably accurate, but I do wonder how they gathered the information.

Last edited by Yac; 05-28-2013 at 07:51 AM..

Old 05-27-2013, 07:53 PM

9,386 posts, read 9,368,861 times
Amazing the amount of wealth in the suburbs of Philadelphia, compared to the actual city of Philadelphia

Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 AM

4 posts, read 9,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
based on my personal knowledge the maps seem to be reasonably accurate, but I do wonder how they gathered the information.
It's all publicly available data from the Census Bureau.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,898,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Amazing the amount of wealth in the suburbs of Philadelphia, compared to the actual city of Philadelphia

Yep.. Who wants to pay 4% wage tax when you make good money? Its killing the city. When people start making real $$, they leave

Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,075,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Yep.. Who wants to pay 4% wage tax when you make good money? Its killing the city. When people start making real $$, they leave
Absolutely!

Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,307,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
There are still a good number of people outside the city that work in the city, so they still pay the wage tax. I think the number one reason people leave the city is because of the public schools and raising kids.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:17 AM

12,952 posts, read 18,810,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
There are still a good number of people outside the city that work in the city, so they still pay the wage tax. I think the number one reason people leave the city is because of the public schools and raising kids.
Someone needs to start an organization with the purpose of having everyone who has children about to start school finding each other and asking why leave? - we all want the same thing.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 AM

640 posts, read 1,297,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Yes I agree with this. Adding a longer commute and higher real estates taxes in the burbs is what you get for better schools.

Why dont people come together to make Philadelphia schools better then people could shorten their commute and pay less real estate taxes. And it would also bring more professionals back to the city. Start from the core of the city and spread out to the rest of the city. Just a thought

Also this Map is amazing good post.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM

9,368 posts, read 13,034,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Yes I agree with this. Adding a longer commute and higher real estates taxes in the burbs is what you get for better schools.

Why dont people come together to make Philadelphia schools better then people could shorten their commute and pay less real estate taxes. And it would also bring more professionals back to the city. Start from the core of the city and spread out to the rest of the city. Just a thought
It's a classic collective action problem. But the recent rise in Meredith Elementary's stature is an organic grassroots neighborhood school success story that can be repeated. You need the right critical mass of people willing to take the risk. Greenfield in Center City, currently an "eh" school as far as test scores go (but still among the City's finest K-8 publics) will probably be the next one to take off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia