Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,520,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Indeed they are. I sometimes wish people would look them up before spouting off information they may very well be dead wrong about.
Well, you have to concede that this can be rather difficult in terms of statistics when there are a lot of variables to sort through. Although, that isn't necessarily an excuse for having no humility when discussing what is essentially your opinion unless you can conclusively show otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM

9,426 posts, read 13,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Well, you have to concede that this can be rather difficult in terms of statistics when there are a lot of variables to sort through. Although, that necessarily isn't an excuse for having no humility when discussing what is essentially your opinion unless you can conclusively show otherwise.
The information I just pulled was from American Factfinder. That's a relatively user-friendly tool everyone has access to. Type in a place and you get population, age, business and industry, education, housing, income, origins and language, poverty, and veterans tabs, each one of which link to additional data sets.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:11 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,772,056 times
Well there you have it. 19103 (Rittenhouse Square) and 19106 (Society Hill) are just as wealthy as Moorestown, Haddonfield, Chadds Ford and Washington Crossing. If you add in Chestnut Hill, it would be up there too.

I guess we'll see Frank trying to argue that though. He will claim that we are wrong because he "just knows" and he "has more experience than us." We are wrong just because he says so.

I mean really. How can you call any one of these more wealthy than the others? Just look at the listings. Million dollar listings in all of them

Moorestown
42 million dollar listings out of 267 or 15% of the listings
Highest listing: $5.9 mill
Moorestown Real Estate & Moorestown Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Cherry Hill
7 million dollar listings out of 911 or .07% of the listings
Highest listing: $2.9 mill
Cherry Hill Real Estate & Cherry Hill Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Haddonfield
12 million dollar listings out of 197 or 6% of the listings
Highest listing: $1.9 mill
Haddonfield Real Estate & Haddonfield Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Society Hill, Philadelphia
27 million dollar listings out of 187 or 14% of the listings
Highest listing: $4.6 mill
19106 Real Estate & 19106 Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Washington Square West, Philadelphia
15 million dollar listings out of 124 or 12% of the listings
Highest listing: $4.5 mill
Washington Square West Real Estate & Washington Square West Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia
32 million dollar listings out of 109 or 29% of the listings
Highest listing: $5.6 mill
Rittenhouse Square Real Estate & Rittenhouse Square Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Fitler Square, Philadelphia
8 million dollar listings out of 47 or 17% of the listings
Highest listing: $3.9 mill
Fitler Square Real Estate & Fitler Square Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia
10 million dollar listings out of 69 or 14% of the listings
Highest listing: $4.9 mill
Chestnut Hill Real Estate & Chestnut Hill Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

West Mt. Airy, Philadelphia
10 million dollar listings out of 123 or 8% of the listings
Highest listing: $4.9 mill
West Mount Airy Real Estate & West Mount Airy Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Washington Crossing
4 million dollar listings out of 59 or 6% of the listings
Highest listings: $2.4 mill
Washington Crossing Real Estate & Washington Crossing Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Chadds Ford
16 million dollar listings out of 123 or 13% of the listings
Highest listing: $4.5 mill
Chadds Ford Real Estate & Chadds Ford Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

Blue Bell
6 million dollar listings out of 119 or 5% of the listings
Highest listing: $6.9 mill
Blue Bell Real Estate & Blue Bell Homes For Sale — Trulia.com

They all look pretty equally wealthy to me.

Frank, facts are facts my friend, no matter how hard it is for you to accept it.

It doesn't look like there are many areas with "SO MANY MORE!!!!" Million dollar listings than to Center City to me.

I mean how can you honestly argue that one area is wealthier than the others? Seriously?

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 05-29-2013 at 09:28 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
The information I just pulled was from American Factfinder. That's a relatively user-friendly tool everyone has access to. Type in a place and you get population, age, business and industry, education, housing, income, origins and language, poverty, and veterans tabs, each one of which link to additional data sets.
Indeed, there is enough data out there if one wishes to use it to back their claims instead of wishing it to be so.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
But those neighborhoods have huge houses that were subdivided into apartments... or simply allowed to fall into disrepair.

You really can't assume a place is a "wealthy neighborhood that will always be wealthy." Toll Brothers construction is crap. I could easily see some of their developments going downhill in the years to come. If people stop by-and-large liking auto-centric areas far from the city, it stands to reason that Garnet Valley and the like will decline at least in part.
Well I do not see that. If a town like brookhaven has survived since the 1940s without going majorly downhill, (even though I am nervous for the future) than garnet valley will survive for 200 years. Like modern day swarthmore, rose valley, main line towns, they have been established for hundreds of years and still remain wealth strong points, because of the way the homes were built(lost size and home size), and the wealth and cost of living in those towns have always been high. Chester and Levittown have never been expensive places to live therefore are more susceptible to decay over time, and were built for industrial workers and returning veterans back in the day. GV and Glen mills and other towns are built for doctors, investment bankers, real estate people etc.

Im not talking about tolls quality either, im just talking about the general aesthetics and demographics of an area. There are plenty of other builders who have built in glen mills/garnet valley who have done some beautiful neighborhoods, better than toll.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,576,737 times
Sweet Jesus why do you people care where millionaires live? I could care less. I'd rather 1,000 people earning $50,000 moved to the city than 10 people earning $50,000,000.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Sweet Jesus why do you people care where millionaires live? I could care less. I'd rather 1,000 people earning $50,000 moved to the city than 10 people earning $50,000,000.
I agree to an extent and I feel there is quite the strong emphasis on wealth on here sometimes, but, hey, it is a statistics/data forum. It is all of interest, right?

Anyway, there should a graph in here that would be of interest to you.

Dear America... | David Mitchell's SoapBox - YouTube

Old 05-30-2013, 04:42 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,951,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well there you have it. 19103 (Rittenhouse Square) and 19106 (Society Hill) are just as wealthy as Moorestown, Haddonfield, Chadds Ford and Washington Crossing. If you add in Chestnut Hill, it would be up there too.

They all look pretty equally wealthy to me.

Frank, facts are facts my friend, no matter how hard it is for you to accept it.

It doesn't look like there are many areas with "SO MANY MORE!!!!" Million dollar listings than to Center City to me.

I mean how can you honestly argue that one area is wealthier than the others? Seriously?

Okay. Facts are facts.

Here are the facts..

Household income.

Rittenhouse- $55k
Soc hill- $93k
Gladw- $165k
Chadds- $102k
Wash cross- $147
Moores- $107k

Since when does $55k = $165k? or for that matter, the closest is $93 and 102k. Where did you go to school where you think that is equal?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 AM

9,426 posts, read 13,113,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Okay. Facts are facts.

Here are the facts..

Household income.

Rittenhouse- $55k
Soc hill- $93k
Gladw- $165k
Chadds- $102k
Wash cross- $147
Moores- $107k

Since when does $55k = $165k? or for that matter, the closest is $93 and 102k. Where did you go to school where you think that is equal?
I was examining a certain subpart of that data to account for the single-household skew that is going to be much more prevalent in 19103/19106 than any of those suburban towns. Again, families in 19103/19106 are among the wealthiest in the region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Well I do not see that. If a town like brookhaven has survived since the 1940s without going majorly downhill, (even though I am nervous for the future) than garnet valley will survive for 200 years. Like modern day swarthmore, rose valley, main line towns, they have been established for hundreds of years and still remain wealth strong points, because of the way the homes were built(lost size and home size), and the wealth and cost of living in those towns have always been high. Chester and Levittown have never been expensive places to live therefore are more susceptible to decay over time, and were built for industrial workers and returning veterans back in the day. GV and Glen mills and other towns are built for doctors, investment bankers, real estate people etc.

Im not talking about tolls quality either, im just talking about the general aesthetics and demographics of an area. There are plenty of other builders who have built in glen mills/garnet valley who have done some beautiful neighborhoods, better than toll.
You yourself said parts of the Main Line are starting to stagnate, which I happen to agree with. If it can happen there, there's no reason it can't happen further out into the suburbs. Or you can think everything will stay exactly the same forever. Your choice.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:16 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:

You yourself said parts of the Main Line are starting to stagnate, which I happen to agree with. If it can happen there, there's no reason it can't happen further out into the suburbs. Or you can think everything will stay exactly the same forever. Your choice.

Well I was more comparing Garnet Valley and Glen Mills to Rosemont, Malvern type areas not Wynnwood or Ardmore.

I do no think everything will stay the same, I just never see those towns I mentioned ever becoming a levittown, or Glenolden, or Chester type place, ever. If anything Garnet Valley and Glen Mills and others are becoming even more overpriced and high end, pushing most of the remaining average middle class elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia