Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2018, 07:42 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Wow, I gotta tell you I am surprised about the reaction to the noose thing. LOL I'm black and most of us think it was a silly prank.

Now don't get me wrong, if you want to get a surefire reaction out of black folk, the easiest way to do it is to start with the KKK and lynching but I do think we can differentiate between 10 year olds and white supremacist.

I'm with Newtown on this one. I think it was one of those "do something really stupid" and think later. LOL, like the wonderful mensa case that was at the airport last April when some friends and I were flying to Florida, boyfriend couldn't get a standby so he got mad and said something like "I need to blow this place up" and then was frantically trying to explain to the cops that came out en masse that it was just a joke.
Totally get that and if it had been anything other than a hanging, I might be able to dismiss it solely as a prank, too, but I can't. Thanks to the dolt in the WH right now, we are being forced to accept some bad behavior if only because we're being overwhelmed with it on a daily basis.

When my son was in boot camp (usmc), they had to do an exercise where they went into a building that filled up with gas (without gas masks). Some of the other recruits made comments that "his kind" should be used to that (knowing he was jewish) and they all laughed about it. Was it just a stupid joke? Of course it was and I suspect even the guys saying it weren't all that anti-semitic. But they still said it and even though my son would never admit it, I think it hurt, just a tiny bit.

Just saying we need to be vigilant now more than ever.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
No of course not, but he has "normalized" behavior that previously was unthinkable.
So are you and the other poster saying that if Trump wasn't president, this wouldn't have happened? I think Trump is a piece of trash, but I'm not sure any of the crazy/stupid things he's said could possibly have influenced kids of this age to do something like that.

Sorry, I just can't stand attributing so many things to a president. I felt the same when Obama was in office.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
So are you and the other poster saying that if Trump wasn't president, this wouldn't have happened? I think Trump is a piece of trash, but I'm not sure any of the crazy/stupid things he's said could possibly have influenced kids of this age to do something like that.

Sorry, I just can't stand attributing so many things to a president. I felt the same when Obama was in office.
I am not attributing their specific behavior to Trump. Yes, it could have happened regardless of who's in the white house. I am saying his toxic behavior has consquences and that we need to be vigilant. That's all.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I am not attributing their specific behavior to Trump. Yes, it could have happened regardless of who's in the white house. I am saying his toxic behavior has consquences and that we need to be vigilant. That's all.
I do agree with that. I just don't like those types of suggestions.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What's silly is how a nonprofit posted his bail, what are the reasons for that?

And regarding your last sentences, you do an awful lot of assuming about posters on here..... You don't even know what I do for a living to make these large generalizing statements.
You have posted plenty of things(so have I) which would create an impression of what you believe. And, of course, it is just an impression.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You have posted plenty of things(so have I) which would create an impression of what you believe. And, of course, it is just an impression.
Yeah, but you leap more than most IMO. Since our PM exchange where I explained why you made an incorrect assumption about me, you came back and made an assumption about something else..again. I find your assumptions/statements to be personally insulting TBH.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Yeah, but you leap more than most IMO. Since our PM exchange where I explained why you made an incorrect assumption about me, you came back and made an assumption about something else..again. I find your assumptions/statements to be personally insulting TBH.
I'm NOT accusing you. But there has been more than one occasion where I take it very personally when certain neighborhoods in this city are thought less of by posts on this board because of assumptions about the people living there.

Should I not find those remarks insults?

I don't intend to insult anyone but I'm very direct in what I say. It is off putting for some people.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm NOT accusing you. But there has been more than one occasion where I take it very personally when certain neighborhoods in this city are thought less of by posts on this board because of assumptions about the people living there.

Should I not find those remarks insults?

I don't intend to insult anyone but I'm very direct in what I say. It is off putting for some people.
You should find something insulting if it's insulting. I'm not suggesting you change how you feel when statements are made.

Last edited by AJNEOA; 08-06-2018 at 08:16 AM..

Old 08-27-2018, 01:49 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Not to sound negative but I could not imagine seeing anything remotely like this happening in prime neighborhoods in Manhattan, DC, or Boston.

I was just in Philadelphia this weekend and CC looked great with the crowds of people and crowded restaurants everywhere, but then I read stuff like this happening blocks from where I was staying.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...ice-brutality/

Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not to sound negative but I could not imagine seeing anything remotely like this happening in prime neighborhoods in Manhattan, DC, or Boston.

I was just in Philadelphia this weekend and CC looked great with the crowds of people and crowded restaurants everywhere, but then I read stuff like this happening blocks from where I was staying.

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...ice-brutality/
In this day and age, why would a cop full-out punch someone like that? Doesn't he comprehend the scrutiny in 2018? And I wasn't there so I don't know if he was scared or frustrated or if someone did something in the hours leading up to this event. That's a big problem with these videos. But maybe he's just a brutal cop who should not wear the uniform...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia