Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,759 times

Advertisements

I am a recent graduate living in Phoenixville, PA in a studio apartment. I work for the state in Norristown and id like to stay within 30 - 40 minutes of work in traffic. I am looking to rent a small apartment for myself or possibly a 2 bedroom with a friend. I am single and hoping to be in a place that has its own things to do, but i would also like to be able to walk to the train to center city. I like to go out at night and dont like to worry about a ride. I am curious if, where, and how much city wage tax should be a concern of mine. I dont need much space. I dont have pets. I am slightly cheap, but i want a good location. My price range might be below what i could actually spend. Id like to stay under 8 or 900 with with all bills totalled. If i am going to have a room mate, id want it to save me a couple hundred dollars a month in rent. I would like to feel safe. If i go out drinking id like to be able to stumble home with the biggest threat to my safety being myself. Im an average sized guy, so i wouldnt call myself unmuggable. Id like to be where there is plenty close by to do, people to meet, and convenient public transportation. I guess my favorite hobby that could be location affected is volleyball, which i play at a low end competitive level. I have considered conshohocken, but that is when i was not looking to be east or work. i would be looking to move any time between a couple months from now and a year from now. My family and friends are from pottstown, which is a half hour west of norristown, that is an influence to some degree. Thoughts or questions?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM

3 posts, read 6,160 times
I worked for the state in Norristown too. When I moved to Philly the additional taxes reduced my paycheck $45/biwkly. Worth it in my opinion. Conshy might be a good place for you.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:22 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Conshohocken sounds right up your alley and would give you a pretty quick commute, although your price range might be difficult to accommodate by yourself -- a roommate would definitely make it doable. Possibly Ardmore, but it's even more expensive and much harder to find a cheaper, more modern apartment on the Main Line.

Ambler or Lansdale could be other options for you, although I'm not as familiar with those towns.

Good luck.

Last edited by Duderino; 01-19-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-19-2012, 12:41 PM

I dont mind a studio place at all, but even with that i understand. I have a friend who wants to move to conshy or philly, but his price range is lower than mine. What are the bars like there. I like a good mix. Some irish pub, a place with phillies game specials, maybe a quizzo game, and a night club where i can say is dumb as **** but end up there once in a while anyway. Phoenixville has all those things within a short walk from my place, so if im gonna move there, i would hope conshy does too.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struby View Post
I dont mind a studio place at all, but even with that i understand. I have a friend who wants to move to conshy or philly, but his price range is lower than mine. What are the bars like there. I like a good mix. Some irish pub, a place with phillies game specials, maybe a quizzo game, and a night club where i can say is dumb as **** but end up there once in a while anyway. Phoenixville has all those things within a short walk from my place, so if im gonna move there, i would hope conshy does too.
Yes, everything you've mentioned can definitely be found in Conshy, and it's a fairly short train ride to Manayunk and Center City if you're looking for a different scene. Great restaurants abound, as well. In terms of nightlife options, you'd definitely be set.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM

Where are such places, cuz google maps isnt giving me much.

Is conshohocken safe. Is the area around the train station safe to walk drunk in the dark? Are train stations in other places like manayunk safe walking to bars?

Thanks everyone for the input.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by struby View Post
Where are such places, cuz google maps isnt giving me much.

Is conshohocken safe. Is the area around the train station safe to walk drunk in the dark? Are train stations in other places like manayunk safe walking to bars?

Thanks everyone for the input.
Fayette Street is the main drag in Conshy, and basically everything can be found along there or right nearby.

In terms of safety, crime is essentially unheard of in these areas, aside from some petty property crime, perhaps. Manayunk being in the city, however, I'd be just a little more aware of my surroundings, but it's still a very safe neighborhood overall.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:57 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Bensalem is a good place to live.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:00 PM

Excellent, thanks everyone, any other info is welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia