Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I believe the latter is supposed to get under way by the end of this year - SEPTA was waiting until the big conventions cleared out this summer before tearing up the station. My commute to work's going to be fun for the next year or so.

BSLX isn't as far along in the pipeline as the NHSL KofP spur, but it is up there on SEPTA's list. SEPTA's in the early stages of environmental review on this.

Of course, if it were up to me, the Northeast Spur (Boulevard subway) would be above all these except the City Hall rebuild, which is necessary for full accessibility. But that's off the table.
Re: City Hall station rehab. It looks like some kind of excavation going on between Walnut-Locust, some upper level area, and City Hall on the south side. I noticed it this week. So, yes, I believe what you're saying about when the rehab will actually start.

The Northeast Spur, imo, is a waste of resources. It's time has come and gone. We need extensions to actual job centers to KoP and the Navy Yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 AM

377 posts, read 475,035 times
This is a cool way to help put into perspective all the construction happening in the city: Mapping the 32 high-rises under construction in Philly right now - Curbed Philly

Old 08-10-2016, 12:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Just curious if there are any plans for future subway lines in the core of the city?
I have long-believed that the primary subway expansions should occur outside of Center City. If there was enough capital available, the Broad Street Line should be extended both northwest (Cheltenham and Ogontz via Stenton and Ogontz Avenues) and south (Navy Yard and Gloucester City, NJ); the Broad-Ridge Spur should be disconnected from the BSL main line, rejoined to the 8th Street PATCO tunnel, and extended northwest (Andorra via Ridge Avenue) and into South Philly (25th and Oregon via 25th Street Viaduct, Grays Ferry Avenue, South Street, and 8th Street); the Northeast Extension would go from the flying junction at Erie to Roosevelt Boulevard and Southampton Road; and PATCO would be extended west to University City (38th and Spruce via Locust and Spruce Streets). Additionally, Franklin Square station would be reopened under my perfect-world plan.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I have long-believed that the primary subway expansions should occur outside of Center City. If there was enough capital available, the Broad Street Line should be extended both northwest (Cheltenham and Ogontz via Stenton and Ogontz Avenues) and south (Navy Yard and Gloucester City, NJ); the Broad-Ridge Spur should be disconnected from the BSL main line, rejoined to the 8th Street PATCO tunnel, and extended northwest (Andorra via Ridge Avenue) and into South Philly (25th and Oregon via 25th Street Viaduct, Grays Ferry Avenue, South Street, and 8th Street); the Northeast Extension would go from the flying junction at Erie to Roosevelt Boulevard and Southampton Road; and PATCO would be extended west to University City (38th and Spruce via Locust and Spruce Streets). Additionally, Franklin Square station would be reopened under my perfect-world plan.
A BSL spur from Snyder up to 2nd street MFL, running under Passyunk would be so excellent from my perspective (and I know it would be impossible to do at this point). It's really too bad more of the originally planned system didn't get built:

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...ransit-system/

Old 08-10-2016, 08:11 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
This is a cool way to help put into perspective all the construction happening in the city: Mapping the 32 high-rises under construction in Philly right now - Curbed Philly
Is the 19th and Chestnut tower officially happening now?

Also, any updates on 1900 Walnut?

Old 08-10-2016, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
A BSL spur from Snyder up to 2nd street MFL, running under Passyunk would be so excellent from my perspective (and I know it would be impossible to do at this point). It's really too bad more of the originally planned system didn't get built:

What Could Have Been: Proposed Rapid Transit Lines for Philadelphia | Property | Philadelphia Magazine
Why do people who fool around with these head games about adding extra transit never factor in disruptions and the construction insanity with the added anger that will insue? Putting a subway under Passyunk would absolutely cause people to stop going there during construction thereby destroying the vibe it's worked hard to create for itself.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Why do people who fool around with these head games about adding extra transit never factor in disruptions and the construction insanity with the added anger that will insue? Putting a subway under Passyunk would absolutely cause people to stop going there during construction thereby destroying the vibe it's worked hard to create for itself.
Not sure if you're saying I'm advocating for a subway line to actually be installed (I did mention above that it could not happen at this point). Regardless, I'm not. At the very least, it would be far too difficult and expensive.

And how are they head games? Those of us (like yourself) that see where transit could be improved talk about it all the time. It's not like Knueppel's going to read City Data and say "wow, now that's an idea", and go out and find $300B and neighborhood support to do a project like this...

Last edited by AJNEOA; 08-11-2016 at 04:57 AM..

Old 08-11-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you're saying I'm advocating for a subway line to actually be installed (I did mention above that it could not happen at this point). Regardless, I'm not. At the very least, it would be far too difficult and expensive.

And how are they head games? Those of us (like yourself) that see where transit could be improved talk about it all the time. It's not like Knueppel's going to read City Data and say "wow, now that's an idea", and go out and find $300B and neighborhood support to do a project like this...
I've been using transit for a really long time. I used it when I was driving too. So I do see why it interests people to talk about what could be. It's fun to you. Sure I would like more service but we can't even improve/build stuff that's actually been proposed multiple times, so from my pov the "extras" talk is pointless.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I've been using transit for a really long time. I used it when I was driving too. So I do see why it interests people to talk about what could be. It's fun to you. Sure I would like more service but we can't even improve/build stuff that's actually been proposed multiple times, so from my pov the "extras" talk is pointless.
That's fine. There are plenty of topics on here I think are pointless (e.g. hoping for upscale retail that will never make it to CC). I guess I just avoid interacting with those posts/threads.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:44 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
That's fine. There are plenty of topics on here I think are pointless (e.g. hoping for upscale retail that will never make it to CC). I guess I just avoid interacting with those posts/threads.
You can thank KoP for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia