Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 03:47 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
MSE ... let's be fair ... Mumbai is a city of 21 Million people. 21 million. It was a city with very little or no highrise construction until the beginning of this century. Philly is no Mumbai or Dubai or Shanghai.
Also Mumbai doesn't have NIMBYism, the city or a developer can basically come in and kick everyone out and built whatever they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Believe it not ...

Relatives and friends from other big cities (like NYC and Chicago) who visit me are actually charmed by the checkerboard juxtaposition of lowrise, midrise, and highrise we have here in Philly. They say it makes this city have a more human scale ... not as canyon like ... a more interesting streetscape.
I agree that Philadelphia has a great mix, I am just tired garage fronted of Mc-rowhomes replacing prominent lots.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I agree that Philadelphia has a great mix, I am just tired garage fronted of Mc-rowhomes replacing prominent lots.
Oh, I agree with you 100%!!!!

Several years ago someone wanted to put either a garage, carport, or at least a driveway beside their "twin" home on my block (here in University City just yards away from Clark Park) and they were flatly turned down. How do they get away with it in Center City???

Old 06-06-2016, 04:42 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Hello Inga Saffron.... Well... I'm just kidding.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:28 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Oh, I agree with you 100%!!!!

Several years ago someone wanted to put either a garage, carport, or at least a driveway beside their "twin" home on my block (here in University City just yards away from Clark Park) and they were flatly turned down. How do they get away with it in Center City???
Actually, garage front homes are no longer common in Center City, where the RCOs take a very dim view of them, as they take away curb parking spaces.

In fact, I can't think of a neighborhood anywhere in "Greater Center City" (river to river, Girard Avenue to Tasker Street) where developers are building garage-front homes now. The usual arrangement now puts the garages in the back (when they're included) and provides access via a rear alley accessed either from a side alley or street (if one exists) or a driveway under one of the units (if there isn't a side alley or street).

The exception to this rule, of course, is the single or 2-unit infill rowhome. These come in two varieties: without parking, and garage front. The former is as common as the latter, if not more so.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Actually, garage front homes are no longer common in Center City, where the RCOs take a very dim view of them, as they take away curb parking spaces.

In fact, I can't think of a neighborhood anywhere in "Greater Center City" (river to river, Girard Avenue to Tasker Street) where developers are building garage-front homes now. The usual arrangement now puts the garages in the back (when they're included) and provides access via a rear alley accessed either from a side alley or street (if one exists) or a driveway under one of the units (if there isn't a side alley or street).

The exception to this rule, of course, is the single or 2-unit infill rowhome. These come in two varieties: without parking, and garage front. The former is as common as the latter, if not more so.
Two were just built here (infill):

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9307...7i13312!8i6656

There was also a larger project that was up near the Ben Franklin Parkway with street-facing garages (I think), but I can't find the article anymore. Whether it's infill or a larger project, they should NOT be built. If someone wants parking, either put it around the back or pay for a spot in a garage.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

2nd and Arch St across from Betsy Ross house is a prominent example.

More often than not there is a driveway in the rear, but there still are several instances where they garages are street facing. Also, unless its 1-2 new infill rowhomes, the fact that half blocks are being replaced by Mc-rowhomes instead of multi-story/multi-family housing is disappointing... 8 on Race is a perfect example, and the several homes at 21/22 and Walnut and the Please Touch replacement homes should not be happening in prime dense Center City. We need multi-story/multi-family developments.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Changing Skyline: After $14 million on light masts, North Broad remains in the dark ages - philly-archives

Ya'll probably read this.
I rarely venture to North Broad Street so I do not know how the project turned out.
What a waste of money!
Their fates will be similar to those doodoos at the corners of South Broad Street and Washington Ave's intersection. Which up to this point, I have no idea what they are.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:14 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
Changing Skyline: After $14 million on light masts, North Broad remains in the dark ages - philly-archives

Ya'll probably read this.
I rarely venture to North Broad Street so I do not know how the project turned out.
What a waste of money!
Their fates will be similar to those doodoos at the corners of South Broad Street and Washington Ave's intersection. Which up to this point, I have no idea what they are.
It's still an open question as to whether the towers were a waste of money because the projects that will be enhanced by them are still either being constructed(Divine Lorraine to be finished by year's end)or still in the planning stages(Met at Broad and Poplar).

Of course Saffron rarely gives updates on anything she writes about or admits to mistakes at all. Thank goodness local developers seem to be over" her shrill "announcements".

Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's still an open question as to whether the towers were a waste of money because the projects that will be enhanced by them are still either being constructed(Divine Lorraine to be finished by year's end)or still in the planning stages(Met at Broad and Poplar).

Of course Saffron rarely gives updates on anything she writes about or admits to mistakes at all. Thank goodness local developers seem to be over" her shrill "announcements".
Actually I was about to say. Divine Lorraine will fix that area a bit more.
It is not like Temple has not done a good job around that movie theatre.

I have not heard about Met....Hmmm must look for articles now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia