Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

Science Center apartment project, a little taller, now good to go | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

New U City apartment tower ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 4,130,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
It to me is still is another missed opportunity of a one seat ride, wish the gauge was the same. Also to MSE's post I agree there is an opportunity to link other areas. A future spur along 202 and 422 would be good, especiially if coupled with smart TOD growth.
The city/region can benefit from strangths and msart development in both the burbs and the city. The sum of the whole can be greater than the parts. DC can evidence well as a pretty close neighbor
I asked about this before the el reconstruction started and a dual gauge had been briefly discussed at high levels but apparently there were other problems like traction and platform heights so the idea was quickly discarded.

IMO, the whole thing should have been double-tracked in a tunnel under Market St. with the NHSL running express between 69th St. and 2nd St (69th. 50th, 40th, 30th, 20th, etc). and the 101 and 102 trolleys doing the local stops - kind of like BART/Muni under Market St. in SF but with cross-platform transfers.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I asked about this before the el reconstruction started and a dual gauge had been briefly discussed at high levels but apparently there were other problems like traction and platform heights so the idea was quickly discarded.

IMO, the whole thing should have been double-tracked in a tunnel under Market St. with the NHSL running express between 69th St. and 2nd St (69th. 50th, 40th, 30th, 20th, etc). and the 101 and 102 trolleys doing the local stops - kind of like BART/Muni under Market St. in SF but with cross-platform transfers.
That would have been much better IMHO

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Additional information and what looks like it could be the final design (note the offset) - Image curtesy )well poached) of summers

Work on Market Street high-rise to start this fall

Old 08-28-2013, 07:33 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,706,631 times
I love that UCity is getting more height. Sorry I haven't been contributing much to this forum, I've been so unbelievably busy with work and such that I just haven't had time. Looks like KidPhilly is on top of things. Thanks! Keep up the good work

Old 09-03-2013, 07:32 AM

Renderings surface for Kimmel Center renovation | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,636 times

It's a bit tough for me to reconcile this article's text about future charming streetscapes with the image of the building with the curb cut + street level garage.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,266,897 times
Thanks for finding this. I asked if anyone had any renderings a few weeks back. It looks great and it will certainly enliven the 1500 block of Spruce - now a brick wall.

As for this . . .
. . . I say hogwash. First, the author indicates the type of construction under debate looks cheap because it is. If it looks cheap now, it will only look increasingly cheaper 10, 20 and 30 years hence. As for the argument that bland construction provides a context that will allow future (and better designed) construction to play off of, give me a break. As a developer, why would I want to locate something beautiful and more expensive next to something ugly? It takes just as much effort to design a beautiful building as it does an ugly one. Good design today will sustain itself and spur good design in the future.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
It's a bit tough for me to reconcile this article's text about future charming streetscapes with the image of the building with the curb cut + street level garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
As for this . . .

. . . I say hogwash. First, the author indicates the type of construction under debate looks cheap because it is. If it looks cheap now, it will only look increasingly cheaper 10, 20 and 30 years hence. As for the argument that bland construction provides a context that will allow future (and better designed) construction to play off of, give me a break. As a developer, why would I want to locate something beautiful and more expensive next to something ugly? It takes just as much effort to design a beautiful building as it does an ugly one. Good design today will sustain itself and spur good design in the future.
The author replies:

The photo I chose to accompany my essay probably wasn't the best one to run with it, because that building is cheap, looks it, and has a bunch of architectural problems that will keep it from aging well, like that all-out-of-proportion mock-classical cornice on what's otherwise a strictly Modernist knockoff box.

But I still maintain that some of the buildings that make up today's "background" - the night sky against which the stars shine - were probably of similar quality and character when built. The difference may well be that the builders did understand things like proportion and context when they built them, things that clearly escaped the grasp of the builder of the house in the photo. I've seen other Modernist boxes equipped with metal or stucco tumors that don't look all that bad considering, and those may well recede into tomorrow's background. You might also want to read the full blog post I linked to for a better elaboration of this argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia