Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Sixteen Stories For Long Vacant Triangle on Spring Garden Street? - OCF Realty

16 stories coming to 12th and Spring Garden! No renderings yet.
Rail Park is coming so, Yah!

That plot was ready for development as a bunch of townhouses were built just south. Happy to see it all go forward!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 12:07 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
US Army Tours Five Cities In Search For Futures Command HQ - Rotor & Wing International

According to this article from yesterday, the Army Command HQ search is down to 5: Philadelphia, Austin, Boston, Minneapolis, and Raleigh.

Seems like a perfect fit for a fancy new building in the Navy Yard.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Rail Park is coming so, Yah!

Today is finally the day. Hard to believe kind of. For a little bit, I didn't think any of the park would ever actually be built. The park opens to the public at 11am. Anyone going?

https://www.instagram.com/therailpark/

Old 06-14-2018, 06:32 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Today is finally the day. Hard to believe kind of. For a little bit, I didn't think any of the park would ever actually be built. The park opens to the public at 11am. Anyone going?

Sounds great! Just read about it, thanks to your link.

Old 06-14-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:

I went.

It's a lot better than I thought it would be and a lot wider, in parts, than the NY High Line. Of course the shubbery will take a while to look decent and a small portion is still under construction.

Two entrances: Broad and Noble. And a stairway is located on Callowhill just west of the 11th St

I absolutely love the timeline/historic map that locates every late 19th/ early20th century factory and so on that surrounded where the current First Phase is and the proposed next sections to come on

I think once the William Penn Foundation got involved First Phase creation picked up steam.

The part that might never happen is the part, the Viaduct, still owned by whatever the Reading Co. is called now.

Can't wait for Inga Saffron to put her typical negative spin on it.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM

273 posts, read 206,773 times
Quote:
US Army Tours Five Cities In Search For Futures Command HQ - Rotor & Wing International

According to this article from yesterday, the Army Command HQ search is down to 5: Philadelphia, Austin, Boston, Minneapolis, and Raleigh.

Seems like a perfect fit for a fancy new building in the Navy Yard.
Sounds like they don't want to build; they'd like renovate an existing building and be up and running in summer 2019, according to the articles.

Honestly, I'm kind of shocked that Philadelphia is in the running and I wonder if this isn't a result of the city's public Amazon pitch.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Honestly, I'm kind of shocked that Philadelphia is in the running and I wonder if this isn't a result of the city's public Amazon pitch.
I think 10-15 years ago, your shock would have been more warranted, yet slowly-but-surely Philly's rennassaince has reached a tipping point where its enormous assets are finally being recognized and appreciated on a national--and even global--scale after decades of outright neglect.

Certainly much more room for improvement across the city, but huge part of the city realizing its potential is Philadelphians accepting that Philly deserves to be among the top. So much of success comes down to simple psychology.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think 10-15 years ago, your shock would have been more warranted, yet slowly-but-surely Philly's rennassaince has reached a tipping point where its enormous assets are finally being recognized and appreciated on a national--and even global--scale after decades of outright neglect.

Certainly much more room for improvement across the city, but huge part of the city realizing its potential is Philadelphians accepting that Philly deserves to be among the top. So much of success comes down to simple psychology.
Could not agree with you more about that "tipping point". Some evidence of one new asset is the just opened Rail Park. It's easy to predict now that development could accelerate around it. Given that probably several hundred people showed up midday , on a week day, for the opening says something about how differently, and positively, many Philadelphians are now viewing the city.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:04 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
When we first moved here in 2011, we noticed Center City was quieter during the summer when the students departed for the summer and the locals headed to the shore. Recently, not so much. CC seems to buzz just as much during the summer as it does during the rest of the year.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
When we first moved here in 2011, we noticed Center City was quieter during the summer when the students departed for the summer and the locals headed to the shore. Recently, not so much. CC seems to buzz just as much during the summer as it does during the rest of the year.
One of the culprits: Center City Sips, the Wednesday happy-hour promotion the Center City District runs during the summer.

We at Phillymag called it "the party that ate Center City" in a feature in the summer of 2016. And if you ever went to a bar that participates in Sips, you'd quickly learn why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia