Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2021, 10:29 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,318,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
I was just at the IGA in Fishtown and one of the girls who works there said management is going to continue the mask mandate for employees.

Sickening.

I got my shot - nobody can accuse me of trying to murder grandmas, 400#ers or little Moishe!

Yea, any business that is still requiring masks for employees is maddening. I believe there was only 50 new cases yesterday in a city of 1.6 Million. Like the masks need to go.

I think they should expedite ending the mask mandate on transit, but that is out of the city and states control. That is a Federal mandate.

Maybe they will by July 4th, since cases are so low. But some states are not vaccinating very well... so I believe this is why it is still in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2021, 12:38 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I'm not sure it's "sickening" for service industry employees to wear masks when we're still only at around 50% of adults fully-vaccinated. Employees are free to work elsewhere, after all. Like it's not enough for a business to be fully open, you are "sickened" by folks wearing a mask to be a little cautious for a bit longer....? I guess I don't understand the umbrage over folks still being mindful about a pandemic that still isn't quite over yet. It doesn't effect you whatsoever.

Regardless, it's a private business, so they're within their rights to make such requirement. There's all kinds of dress code requirements for literally every job. Is it "sickening" to be required to wear pants? Or should nudity be a right?
I think nudity should be a right, but I'm pretty sure I would be equally sickened at times. I completely support any place that wants to continue their mask mandate. People may not like it, but it is their right to be more cautious for a little bit longer as you point out. I think that's a good way to put it. And the pandemic is not over, there will be future surges. The vaccination rate is still far too low.

Old 06-11-2021, 01:05 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Quote:
I'm not sure it's "sickening" for service industry employees to wear masks when we're still only at around 50% of adults fully-vaccinated. Employees are free to work elsewhere, after all. Like it's not enough for a business to be fully open, you are "sickened" by folks wearing a mask to be a little cautious for a bit longer....? I guess I don't understand the umbrage over folks still being mindful about a pandemic that still isn't quite over yet. It doesn't effect you whatsoever.

Regardless, it's a private business, so they're within their rights to make such requirement. There's all kinds of dress code requirements for literally every job. Is it "sickening" to be required to wear pants? Or should nudity be a right?
Yeah, it's sickening for management to force employees to wear a stupid face mask when nobody else has to.

And I'm usually not the empathetic type. Apparently you don't care about the 'commoners' at all.

Your last paragraph is a ludicrous comparison, btw.

Question: Ok, it's a private business. Got it. Do you think bars should be able to decide whether they want smoking in their bar or not? Since it's private, shouldn't it be their choice?

Last edited by Hedonism; 06-11-2021 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 01:15 PM

1,465 posts, read 623,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I think nudity should be a right, but I'm pretty sure I would be equally sickened at times. I completely support any place that wants to continue their mask mandate. People may not like it, but it is their right to be more cautious for a little bit longer as you point out. I think that's a good way to put it. And the pandemic is not over, there will be future surges. The vaccination rate is still far too low.
So if a business owner wants to allow people to smoke in their bar, you're ok with that?

Old 06-11-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
So if a business owner wants to allow people to smoke in their bar, you're ok with that?
Is there not a law that states that you cannot smoke inside an establishment unless you have been granted some sort of exception? Is there a law that is written that says an owner cannot mandate that people wear masks in their own establishments? Do masks give people lung cancer? Are we not still living through a pandemic?

Old 06-11-2021, 04:30 PM

I believe the new case count in the city was around 45 people yesterday.....

Out of a City of 1.6 Million. That is .00002 of a percent...

So yea. The pandemic is over. The science says the risk is over. Anyone still wearing masks is literally not reading facts.

I was 100% for following the rules, wearing masks and the closures before the vaccine was readily available.

Now you can walk into a Rite Aid and get the J&J no questions asked in about 5 minutes with no wait.

There is no reason to wear masks. Zero.

The pandemic is over. And honestly those who still wear masks after this weekend, are not as "educated and woke" as they want to perceive.

Also Pennsylvania is ranked 8th in vaccinations. We have 73% who have received one vaccination and I believe 55% who received both.. Of the tri state region. Pennsylvania is actually the most vaccinated state. It is proven that even just one dose, is 80% effective against the virus which is significant.

And the numbers prove it. 45 cases in a day, no longer qualifies COVID as a pandemic.

Old 06-11-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I believe the new case count in the city was around 45 people yesterday.....

Out of a City of 1.6 Million. That is .00002 of a percent...

So yea. The pandemic is over. The science says the risk is over. Anyone still wearing masks is literally not reading facts.

I was 100% for following the rules, wearing masks and the closures before the vaccine was readily available.

Now you can walk into a Rite Aid and get the J&J no questions asked in about 5 minutes with no wait.

There is no reason to wear masks. Zero.

The pandemic is over. And honestly those who still wear masks after this weekend, are not as "educated and woke" as they want to perceive.

Also Pennsylvania is ranked 8th in vaccinations. We have 73% who have received one vaccination and I believe 55% who received both.. Of the tri state region. Pennsylvania is actually the most vaccinated state. It is proven that even just one dose, is 80% effective against the virus which is significant.

And the numbers prove it. 45 cases in a day, no longer qualifies COVID as a pandemic.
That's all fine and well, but owner still have the right to mandate it if that's what they want to do. You can complain all you want, but some people still are vulnerable to the disease. And it is not over, we are in a lull. Have you not read the news about the new variant that started in India? We could very well see another wave.

No one is saying the governor should lock everything down again, but owners have the right to play it safe if they feel they are still concerned. If you don't like it, go someplace else.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
That's all fine and well, but owner still have the right to mandate it if that's what they want to do. You can complain all you want, but some people still are vulnerable to the disease. And it is not over, we are in a lull. Have you not read the news about the new variant that started in India? We could very well see another wave.

No one is saying the governor should lock everything down again, but owners have the right to play it safe if they feel they are still concerned. If you don't like it, go someplace else.
I mean it is just not science at this point....

There were only 50 cases out of 1.6 million people yesterday in Philadelphia. That is .00002 percent.

If cases increase, then sure reinstate some provisions with masks.

Otherwise, it is not scientific.

If the vaccine was not readily available I would also feel differently.

I am a lifelong Democrat and appreciated the protections when we were in the height of what was then a pandemic.

But... now the people who are arguing that we still need to keep wearing masks, are actually battling with emotions and "identity" more than science and facts.

I guarantee Democrats are going to loose the midterms in 2022 if this is the outlook they continue to have. And I am a Democrat. Because at this point, it is not scientific to require to wear a mask other than a Hospital. It is just plain dumb.

Montgomery County, Pennsylvania a county of 830,000 people saw only 3 new cases yesterday.

You are more likely to parish in a car accident than by COVID at this point... does this mean we do not drive anymore? Give me a break.

I am a Democrat, but I am 100% saying, delaying and not adopting and owning the fact the pandemic is scientifically no longer a pandemic is going to hurt the party.

3 cases in a county of 830,000 is not a pandemic.

50 cases in a city of 1.6 million people is not a pandemic.

This is science.

Old 06-11-2021, 06:13 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I mean it is just not science at this point....

There were only 50 cases out of 1.6 million people yesterday in Philadelphia. That is .00002 percent.

If cases increase, then sure reinstate some provisions with masks.

Otherwise, it is not scientific.
To be clear, I'm not against ending the mask mandate at all. I think it's very reasonable at this point to end it. But that's very different from saying that no one should wear a mask at this point, ever, which clearly isn't wise especially as children under 12 are not able to be vaccinated quite yet.

And as a parent of a vulnerable child, and knowing others, it's short-sighted to say everyone should throw away the masks completely, right away.

Everyone wants COVID to be erased from social consciousness. I get it. But everything is open. You don't have to wear a mask at any point if you don't want. So why the frustration?

Until people of all ages (across the world) have broad access to the vaccine, let's not get carried away with "shaming" people who have every right to be more cautious for personal reasons of which you're likely not aware.

And this has nothing to do with political party, or it shouldn't. I know of a young family whose daughter has a recent history of cancer, and her parents are pretty Republican to say the least. You can guarantee they'll be masking in public until she has access to a vaccine.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-11-2021 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-11-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
To be clear, I'm not against ending the mask mandate at all. I think it's very reasonable at this point to end it. But that's very different from saying that no one should wear a mask at this point, ever, which clearly isn't wise especially as children under 12 are not able to be vaccinated quite yet.

And as a parent of a vulnerable child, and knowing others, it's short-sighted to say everyone should throw away the masks completely, right away.

Everyone wants COVID to be erased from social consciousness. I get it. But everything is open. You don't have to wear a mask at any point if you don't want. So why the frustration?

Until people of all ages (across the world) have broad access to the vaccine, let's not get carried away with "shaming" people who have every right to be more cautious for personal reasons of which you're likely not aware.
I empathize with what you are saying.

The facts are. The mask does nothing to protect you from contracting the virus. It helps to stop you from spreading it.

With that, if cases go up. Then sure lets maybe rethink the masks. But when cases are 3 a day in a county of 830,000. It is no longer a pandemic whatsoever.

I am all for wearing them, if cases increase and we are not out of it. But at this point, continuing to wear it, is out of Covid anxiety and not actual science based data and facts and that is for Pennsylvania specifically which is a top ranked state for vaccinations and low case rate.

I am fine with wearing them on air and train travel because that is all intra state and you have more likelihood to come in contact with someone from a low vaccinated state.

The whole notion is: Lets keep watching the numbers... right now the numbers confirm factually. We are no longer in a pandemic. The masks are not needed. .00002% is not deemed necessary to wear a mask, and those who continue to do so, wear them out of anxiety not science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia