Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
QOL, in a growing part of the city, may have been a deciding factor. Can the city afford to alienate these residents? Not really.
That said, I don't like how it was handled.
Snowflakes! If they don’t want to be subjected to the temporary inconveniences that this event might produce they can move to the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Snowflakes! If they don’t want to be subjected to the temporary inconveniences that this event might produce they can move to the suburbs.
You sound a bit angry about it. And, yes, I do agree with many comments here about this though.

I live near the parkway. It's not just MinAm. Every event that seems note worthy tends to go there: many shows/events, all the marathons( except the Broad St run) ,parades. The biggest recent events, not counting MinAm, were the Pope's visit, NFL draft, Eagles Super Bowl stuff. Right now there's no alternative since Penn's Landing is not that suitable until its transformation. There's the massive cleanup, police overtime, etc. We all pay for this.

The people living in Fairmount/Spring Garden/Francisville, lower Brewerytown have been, and continue to be, a vital part of the city's renaissance. I would not describe us as "snowflakes". And there is not opposition to big events( we know about how important they are) as much as there are complaints about visitors(wrt to some events) to our neighborhoods who have little or no respect for the people who live there.

One event that we are pretty upset about its ending is the Bastille Day party along Fairmount Ave with ESP sitting in for the actual Bastille. It has been quite a show case for local performance artists as they re-tell the events leading up to the storming of the Bastille in 1789. It's fun(throwing Tastycakes to the crowd during the " Let Them Eat Cake" climax), educational, has lots of energy and has attracted thousands of people over the years.
ESP has other plans about how they will use those funds going forward. It sucks that it's over after 24 years.

PS. Don't forget about the Footwerx tap show I told you about at the Roberts Theater. It's next Friday.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:32 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Did someone else say "good riddance" besides me? I only looked at headlines about it.

Oddly JZ didn't mention that the year it was in LA and here, the LA portion failed to either attract enough people or it was managed poorly. Or LA didn't want it again.

Sounds like he is making it into something racial. Sigh.
That is where he lost me, not everything has to be about race...

Quote:
The crotcheties are dying or moving out. The majority of the people in immediate vicinity(i.e. Fairmount) are Gen-X or Millennials.

It WAS in LA for one year(2015?). It was in both cities, concurrently, and didn't work so well in LA. It was canceled there never to return.
I think 2015 it was in LA as well, and it was basically a flop. I was very happy that Philadelphia kept the spotlight for the event and LA actually messed it up. BUT, if Philadelphia decides to cancel this event it could easily turn into a big LA thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm with you on these. The benefit to our national profile and reputation exceeds the cost and inconvenience of staging the events where they're staged, and in the case of the "30 Under 30" summit, I can't see what the inconvenience is.

How did we lose 30 Under 30? Was it like this, where the organizer read about it in the press first?
The year after Nutter had worked to make Philadelphia the permanent city, Kenney came in and didn't agree with the proposed costs for the event and didn't communicate well with the summit committee, so they basically said F*** it, and went to Boston.... Way to go to Kenney.

Quote:
QOL, in a growing part of the city, may have been a deciding factor. Can the city afford to alienate these residents? Not really.
That said, I don't like how it was handled.
Is a 2-3 day concert really alienating residents?.... These people live on or near the Parkway, its not a country pasture, its a major boulevard that hosts major events from time to time. I feel no pity for people who live in that area, they CHOSE to live there. If people pissing on their step a few times a year is their biggest problem, then I rest my case.

The only suggestion I would make is to increase police/ security in surrounding neighborhoods to prevent any rowdiness from spilling over.

I know people from all over the country who come to Philadelphia for this event, they bring their friends and all their spending money, and a lot of them ended up coming back to the city on other occasions because they loved it.

The chance of this event ending would definitely be a blow to the city, just like the summit.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:28 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
The year after Nutter had worked to make Philadelphia the permanent city, Kenney came in and didn't agree with the proposed costs for the event and didn't communicate well with the summit committee, so they basically said F*** it, and went to Boston.... Way to go to Kenney.
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." -"Cool Hand Luke"

Seems that clear communication may not be a hallmark of this administration.

Though if the way the mayor described this botch is accurate, the fault isn't his this time - it's Live Nation's for not having looped Jay-Z and his production company in.

This may be like the Navy Yard fiasco of about 20 years ago now. Gov. Tom Ridge managed to scuttle a deal with a German shipbuilder to take over the shipyard portion of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and every Democratic politician in the city was on his case save one: Ed Rendell, who stayed mum.

About two years later, the city landed the Norwegian shipbuilder that's there now. He got help from the state in doing so. IOW, he knew then he would need the Governor later, so why beat up on him?

Jay-Z may have just thrown a fit in print, but since it seems that all parties involved want this event to continue to take place here, there are probably back-channel conversations going on right now, along with some ruffled-feather-smoothing.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:52 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
LOL! Like many of the people in this city are going to grow alongside a rich celebrity's company...

I agree. I'm simply speaking of the negative press that his statement will likely provoke.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
"What we have here is a failure to communicate." -"Cool Hand Luke"

Seems that clear communication may not be a hallmark of this administration.

Though if the way the mayor described this botch is accurate, the fault isn't his this time - it's Live Nation's for not having looped Jay-Z and his production company in.

This may be like the Navy Yard fiasco of about 20 years ago now. Gov. Tom Ridge managed to scuttle a deal with a German shipbuilder to take over the shipyard portion of the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and every Democratic politician in the city was on his case save one: Ed Rendell, who stayed mum.

About two years later, the city landed the Norwegian shipbuilder that's there now. He got help from the state in doing so. IOW, he knew then he would need the Governor later, so why beat up on him?

Jay-Z may have just thrown a fit in print, but since it seems that all parties involved want this event to continue to take place here, there are probably back-channel conversations going on right now, along with some ruffled-feather-smoothing.
There is a new wave of news updates on the Made in America situation, and now the mayor is apologizing for miscommunication, so maybe there is a possibility that the event will stay on the Parkway, or the different parties can at least agree on a new venue?
I also thought it was silly that city would state the event is no longer vital to the city's tourism draw... conceited much? I love Philadelphia, but it's not New York. The city needs every major event it can get to stay relevant, New York doesn't need to do that.

Jay Z's letter might have been overkill, but it did spark a debate over the possible cancellation of the event.

The Summit issue was negligence on the city's side, and poor communication as you stated.

Nutter was a very good mayor (visionary by Philadelphia standards), since his departure, the administration has been unconcerned with raising Philadelphia's vision and profile. Nutter knew we were in a league with DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Kenney... idk what he thinks, but not that, and the rest of the administration doesn't help much.

If Nutter had lost the summit or any other major event due to the city's wrong doings, he would fight to get it back. Kenney has a s*** happens view, which might work in small-town West Virginia, but not Philadelphia.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:02 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There is a new wave of news updates on the Made in America situation, and now the mayor is apologizing for miscommunication, so maybe there is a possibility that the event will stay on the Parkway, or the different parties can at least agree on a new venue? Jay Z's letter might have been overkill, but it did spark a debate over the possible cancellation of the event.

The Summit issue was negligence on the city's side, and poor communication as you stated.

Nutter was a very good mayor (visionary by Philadelphia standards), since his departure, the administration has been unconcerned with raising Philadelphia's vision and profile. Nutter knew we were in a league with DC, LA, NYC, Chicago, etc. Kenney... idk what he thinks, but not that, and the rest of the administration doesn't help much.

If Nutter had lost the summit or any other major event due to the city's wrong doings, he would fight to get it back. Kenney has a s*** happens view, which might work in small-town West Virginia, but not Philadelphia.
It must be double negative week. Quote from the article chris mentions. Article below.

“The Parkway is very important to Jay,” Perez said, “so I’m not sure that not having the Parkway will work.”

Mayor Kenney: 'I love Jay-Z' and want to keep Made in America in Philly

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I agree. I'm simply speaking of the negative press that his statement will likely provoke.
Yeah, understood. And you were right. Kenney responded to Jay-Z's letter in the paper last night. Typical weak Kenney backpedaling.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:06 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
It must be double negative week. Quote from the article chris mentions. Article below.

“The Parkway is very important to Jay,” Perez said, “so I’m not sure that not having the Parkway will work.”

Mayor Kenney: 'I love Jay-Z' and want to keep Made in America in Philly
I suspect that if the money is there, Jay Z will be willing to have the concert in a corn field in Nebraska.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:08 AM

744 posts, read 776,436 times
Quote:
Nutter has essentially vanished. The latest wiki entry has him on the Homeland Security Advisory Council which he was during the Obama admin. He's certainly not there now. He hasn't morphed into the kind of Phila cheerleader the way Rendell did post being mayor and PA governor. So I loved him as mayor but now? Not so much.

I'm not a Kenney fan but putting enough of a package together, wrt Amazon hq2, to warrant inclusion on the 20 city list wasn't a small thing.

I think Trump's victory messed up his plans. I think he was counting on obtaining a cabinet position. Seems like he since taken a bunch of part time gigs. I think I heard that he is writing a book? But I agree he should be more active.

I am glad that Kenny took HQ2 seriously but I would like our chances much better under Nutter. It also seems like many QOL issues have gotten much worse under Kenny (ex. homeless in the regional rail stations). Kenny is way to worried about offending his ultra liberal but non-pragmatic followers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia