Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2018, 11:40 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I have no idea how you can call Domb ‘clueless’. I’m ready to appoint him mayor after exposing the financial mismanagement taking place at City Hall. His bill about collecting back taxes is about the only common sense to come out of city hall since Nutter left.

If Domb does chose to run against Kenney, I know who I will vote for. I don’t mind Kenney as a person, but talk about someone who has got nothing done..
Except his Domb's "plan" to collect taxes was just a regurgitation of a plan the City already tried in the mid 90s with horrible results. Domb intentionally used outdated and incomplete data from the NTLA to try to support his claims. The local media's unwillingness to fact check Domb has been amazing. The media one week will run an article (often written by Domb or the NAR) using data from 2013 discussing how little the City is doing to collect taxes. Then the next week it will run an article using data from 2013 onward about how aggressive the City has gotten in collecting property taxes and then will interview people from the legal services world about why that is bad. They never attempt to reconcile the views. Domb never acknowledges what is actually happening.

We can all agree the City should "collect taxes" but nobody actually seems to know what the City does. If you listen to people like Domb you would think the City is not actually doing anything. If you spend 90 seconds looking at public records for yourself you will see that it just isn't true. So yes collecting back taxes is a good thing; Domb's plan, however, was stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 05:58 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Blackwell and Clarke have shown that they are idiots over and over. From holding up construction projects for political reasons to not backing policies that would actually help their neighborhood.

Blackwell has spent most of her time constructing bills to increase parking requirements even though every bit of data says that’s the opposite of what we need.

I have no idea how you can call Domb ‘clueless’. I’m ready to appoint him mayor after exposing the financial mismanagement taking place at City Hall. His bill about collecting back taxes is about the only common sense to come out of city hall since Nutter left.

If Domb does chose to run against Kenney, I know who I will vote for. I don’t mind Kenney as a person, but talk about someone who has got nothing done..
Clarke essentially copies what Street did during his council time with the same awful results. Clarke was his protege.

I actually forgot about Domb's involvement in that. The Kenney admin could have ruined the Amazon hq2 initial request. Obviously that didn't happen. Not a fan of his at all though.

Personally I want someone younger challenging Kenney.

Old 07-17-2018, 11:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
The Met Philadelphia: Here's what the new concert venue will look like when it opens on North Broad - Philly

Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Very interesting/important article from PhillyVoice today on Philadelphia's relative high rate of disability:

Quote:
Philadelphia residents have the highest rate of physical, emotional and cognitive disabilities among large U.S. cities, a statistic that appears to reflect the deeper degree of poverty found in cities near the top of the list, according to new research from the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Data from the U.S. Census Bureau's 2016 American Community Survey found that 16 percent of Philadelphians, or about 246,000 people, suffered from some form of disability that year.
https://www.phillyvoice.com/pew-phil...rge-us-cities/

The article goes on to compare Philly to other larger cities, like NYC or Chicago, where disability rates are over 5% lower.

This is something everyone should be mindful of during the constant talk of issues like high poverty; the fact of the matter is Philly is a critical hub of social services for these individuals. They really aren't able to obtain high-paying employment due to no fault of their own. People with special needs need to live somewhere.

I think it actually shows a great level of compassion that so many of these folks can find a comfortable home in Philly.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:40 AM

I'm really excited about this. It helps make losing the Boyd easier to take.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Very interesting/important article from PhillyVoice today on Philadelphia's relative high rate of disability:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/pew-phil...rge-us-cities/

The article goes on to compare Philly to other larger cities, like NYC or Chicago, where disability rates are over 5% lower.

This is something everyone should be mindful of during the constant talk of issues like high poverty; the fact of the matter is Philly is a critical hub of social services for these individuals. They really aren't able to obtain high-paying employment due to no fault of their own. People with special needs need to live somewhere.

I think it actually shows a great level of compassion that so many of these folks can find a comfortable home in Philly.
Interesting study.

I know more than one individual who has a disability who is not poor though. One of them commutes to Ambler, from CC, every week day to work. This person is legally blind and uses a walker. So obviously there are, as always, exceptions.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:33 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Farm For the City Dresses Up Thomas Paine Plaza - OCF Realty

Great use of Thomas Paine Plaza. This plaza is the final link for the rebirth of all the public spaces around City Hall. Hopefully a permanent update comes soon.

Old 07-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Made in America is moving off the Ben Franklin Parkway in 2019. Is it leaving Philadelphia for good? - Philly

Does anyone else think this move is a mistake?

Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No! Good riddance.

Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
No! Good riddance.
What is your reasoning? Simply not liking the music is not good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia