Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great post, I think most of us on here are aware that Philadelphia has been stabilizing/ getting wealthier, and poverty is not as clear and simple as posting a percentage, however your average Joe only see 26% poverty, so unless that number falls, Philadelphia will always have that stigma about being poor.
I agree and further more, our poverty rate of 26% is much more comparable with Boston's 21% (more wealth and much smaller land area) than Detroit's 36%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 07:56 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Great post, I think most of us on here are aware that Philadelphia has been stabilizing/ getting wealthier, and poverty is not as clear and simple as posting a percentage, however your average Joe only see 26% poverty, so unless that number falls, Philadelphia will always have that stigma about being poor.
And LA has 60,000 homeless people and an actual skid row right next to DTLA. San Francisco is losing its middle class and has a ton of homeless and the Tenderloin.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:06 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
And LA has 60,000 homeless people and an actual skid row right next to DTLA. San Francisco is losing its middle class and has a ton of homeless and the Tenderloin.
Again very true, but your average Joe doesn't know that unless they visit those cities. Philadelphia's glaring 26% statistic is published in papers across the country, and that results in a negative stigma toward Philadelphia.

And trust me I am taken back by the homeless situation every time I visit LA, but that seems to fall by the wayside for whatever reason.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Again very true, but your average Joe doesn't know that unless they visit those cities. Philadelphia's glaring 26% statistic is published in papers across the country, and that results in a negative stigma toward Philadelphia.

And trust me I am taken back by the homeless situation every time I visit LA, but that seems to fall by the wayside for whatever reason.
Ah, no, it's well known now how bad the homeless problem is in LA. Regarding "average Joes"( who are you talking about exactly?) Philly's "bad" sports fans might have a pretty substantial impact too on our image.

More, importantly, though how do we solve the problem which, in part, is a product of the industrial collapse that happened here.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Ah, no, it's well known now how bad the homeless problem is in LA. Regarding "average Joes"( who are you talking about exactly?) Philly's "bad" sports fans might have a pretty substantial impact too on our image.

More, importantly, though how do we solve the problem which, in part, is a product of the industrial collapse that happened here.
Average Joe is meant to be average America. So the 75% of the population that doesn't know any better beyond statistics.

And yes, our sports fan have a similar impact, even though other cities are just as bad/ worse. My point for the poverty follows the same guideline.

Well that is a tough one! I think the addition of more service level jobs is a start. Fighting crime and dilapidation of neighborhoods is another huge task that needs to be improved, improving the schools, access to fresh food, community outreach, etc.

I stated some obvious ways to improve poverty, but the next question is, how do we implement/ focus in on these issues.

Also, affordable housing is not the answer IMO.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:03 AM

A new chapter in 'The Philadelphia Story': 15 luxury houses coming to grounds of famed Ardrossan estate - Philly

On another note, here is an update on the Ardrossan land in Radnor. 15 luxury homes on a 10 acre plot.

I actually drove through the estate grounds back in December, stunning landscape (much of it is protected) and there are a few insane homes being construction on large plots. Those are separate from this Pohlig development. If anyone is ever in that area, I suggest taking a turn on Iven Ave!

Sandy, you should arrange a PhillyMag tour of this site, I would love to see photos!

Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 PM

New neighbor planned for Rodin Museum on Parkway: A 10-story condo building - Philly

Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Average Joe is meant to be average America. So the 75% of the population that doesn't know any better beyond statistics.

And yes, our sports fan have a similar impact, even though other cities are just as bad/ worse. My point for the poverty follows the same guideline.

Well that is a tough one! I think the addition of more service level jobs is a start. Fighting crime and dilapidation of neighborhoods is another huge task that needs to be improved, improving the schools, access to fresh food, community outreach, etc.

I stated some obvious ways to improve poverty, but the next question is, how do we implement/ focus in on these issues.

Also, affordable housing is not the answer IMO.
Well, for me it's sad, very sad, that you can't make the kind of personal commitment to a local solution that you might if you lived here.

Lack of affordable housing is one of causes of homelessness and middle-class out migration in certain cities out west. So I'm not sure how that isn't part of the solution for some people.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Well, for me it's sad, very sad, that you can't make the kind of personal commitment to a local solution that you might if you lived here.

Lack of affordable housing is one of causes of homelessness and middle-class out migration in certain cities out west. So I'm not sure how that isn't part of the solution for some people.
I don't get your drift? Are you saying I should feel bad because I am not down there helping???

Affordable housing would benefit those in the workforce (workforce housing), not those in poverty. Unless you have proof contradicting that, I stand by my statement.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:36 PM

288 posts, read 244,615 times
This is a good read about not the lack of affordable housing, but the lack of...well I won't spoil it here:

Reality Check: The Rent is Too High - The Philadelphia Citizen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia