Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times

Advertisements

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/10/9/...lphia-new-name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 02:21 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
No one will ever call it by it's new name. That's my prediction. Funnily, I think, he would be offended that they want to go ahead with this. It's dumb and a waste of money.

Old 10-09-2017, 02:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I, for one, look forward to all the money that will be spent on renaming station signs, Amtrak ticketing, marketing materials, etc. And it just rolls off the tongue!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:19 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I, for one, look forward to all the money that will be spent on renaming station signs, Amtrak ticketing, marketing materials, etc. And it just rolls off the tongue!
That is where the priorities are lol.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:48 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Just as "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport" does, or "Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport."

Which doesn't mean the legislation wasn't silly; just nothing out of the ordinary. Frankly, in the case of the former, I objected more to the bill requiring the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority to rename the Metro station serving the airport with the full name of the facility. Would "Reagan National Airport" have been so horrible?

And yes, most of us will simply call it 30th Street, just as most users of the airport outside Baltimore still call it just "BWI."

Old 10-09-2017, 09:22 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
I couldn't figure out where to post this, but I thought it was definitely worth sharing. MSE, there's a Germantown mention, too

Philadelphia public art project ponders the meaning behind monuments | PBS NewsHour

Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 PM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I couldn't figure out where to post this, but I thought it was definitely worth sharing. MSE, there's a Germantown mention, too

Philadelphia public art project ponders the meaning behind monuments | PBS NewsHour
I was told by the staff at the monument by Oregon station that the Germantown monument, a work called "The Battle is Joined," is one of the most popular sculptures arising from the Monument Lab project.

It consists of a reflective metal shroud erected around the monument to the 1777 Battle of Germantown in Vernon Park. The metal shroud has a funhouse-mirror effect.

Apparently, much like Christo wrapping islands and park trails in fabric, artist Karyn Olivier's encasing of the Battle of Germantown Monument has caused the community to "discover" it anew through the act of seeing themselves in it.

I attend services at First Presbyterian Church in Germantown, which abuts Vernon Park. While walking around between services and lunch last Sunday, a friend of mine and I walked into the park and did a double take when we came upon the metal block.

I think part of its power and appeal comes from the fact that this casing makes us and our surroundings the monument - it draws us into the battle memorial. (Which explains the title.)

BTW, visitors to Monument Lab sites are offered the opportunity to answer the question "What do you think would be an appropriate monument for Philadelphia today?" I did so at the Oregon Station monument, which is inside the shipping container that serves as the interpretive center; it is a celebration of immigration, featuring the stories of people who came here to live from all over the world.

I'll just say that the docents thought my suggestion quite appropriate and had a good laugh at it too. You can see it on my Facebook Timeline (https://www.facebook.com/sandysmith80) or when it goes on display at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts along with all the other recommendations at the end of the installations.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you. I can see naming a city street after him but that's it.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just as "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport" does, or "Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport."

Which doesn't mean the legislation wasn't silly; just nothing out of the ordinary. Frankly, in the case of the former, I objected more to the bill requiring the Washington Metropolitan Area Transportation Authority to rename the Metro station serving the airport with the full name of the facility. Would "Reagan National Airport" have been so horrible?

And yes, most of us will simply call it 30th Street, just as most users of the airport outside Baltimore still call it just "BWI."
Reagan was a 2 term president and Thurgood Marshall was....Thurgood Marshall. Gray did nothing substantial enough to get this honor.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:16 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Absolutely agree with you. I can see naming a city street after him but that's it.
In both the private and public sector so many insignificant things are being "accomplished" while more important things persist. It's almost as though our "leaders" have given up because they don't have the backbone to make real change for the things that matter...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia