Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2017, 10:36 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
What's sad about her is that her late husband, Lucien Blackwell, was a progressive activist who was greatly admired... even nationally. She essentially got where she is through a kind nepotism and riding on his coat tails.

Truthfully, ending parking-on-Broad St probably isn't a winnable battle right now.
That makes a lot of sense.

What is frustrating about the parking situation is that everyone is attacking the symptoms. We need a comprehensive transportation approach to South Philly. Including SEPTA offerings/improvements, parking regulations (cost and number of available permits), potentially parking facilities (new garages for overflow street parking), biking routes that make sense (including infrastructure to boot), and beautification programs to fix what is shifted. Broad Street parking is just one of those things that should be easily fixed (especially since most parking there are from NJ or other places). Then we need actual policing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:48 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
That makes a lot of sense.

What is frustrating about the parking situation is that everyone is attacking the symptoms. We need a comprehensive transportation approach to South Philly. Including SEPTA offerings/improvements, parking regulations (cost and number of available permits), potentially parking facilities (new garages for overflow street parking), biking routes that make sense (including infrastructure to boot), and beautification programs to fix what is shifted. Broad Street parking is just one of those things that should be easily fixed (especially since most parking there are from NJ or other places). Then we need actual policing.
This is very insightful because although I am essentially minutes from S. Philly, via subway, I don't know that much about the day-to-day issues.

Re Lucien Blackwell. His wall mural is on the nw corner of 42nd and Haverford. He's shaking Jimmy Carter's hand. He came out of Philadelphia's civil rights' period along with Cecil B Moore.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
This is very insightful because although I am essentially minutes from S. Philly, via subway, I don't know that much about the day-to-day issues.

Re Lucien Blackwell. His wall mural is on the nw corner of 42nd and Haverford. He's shaking Jimmy Carter's hand. He came out of Philadelphia's civil rights' period along with Cecil B Moore.
Thanks for the history. One of these days I'll check-out the mural on 42nd in person. It is sad that our quality of leadership is so weak now. This is a time where a strong leader could make real gain.

Re: South Philly. I think everyone assumes that South Philly is in great working order because of the subway and because it's so established with bus routes and a grid. But there is so much opportunity to improve our facilities and the reality is that away from Broad Street, it's all bus routes. Combine that with reverse commuters to the burbs and people who literally work a mile away in the Navy Yard, and you have a lot of people who drive. It's America's version of urban living; great urbanity, solid street life, an insane number of cars and traffic. The number of vehicles on the streets parked is mind-boggling. There are many residents who don't want to plant trees because it may inconvenience them when opening their car doors. Yes, people care so much about easy/direct access to their car that they would prefer treeless streets.

It's a sickness in my mind. I get having convenience access to a car, but people don't want to walk a few blocks because we've made it a right to have a parking spot. Even Acme speaks to this. Acme should be off the sidewalk with the parking lot in the back. Absolutely insane.

But there is a big win every once in a great great while. The pedestrian improvements at 12th, Morris, & Passyunk is so much better. So much better. People fought it tooth and nail because it removed 3 parking spots, but the ADA told everyone to shut up because it's just happening. The entire neighborhood is better for it.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:12 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Will AC Hotel Finally Move Forward at NFL Films Building? - OCF Realty

Old 08-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the history. One of these days I'll check-out the mural on 42nd in person. It is sad that our quality of leadership is so weak now. This is a time where a strong leader could make real gain.
I've already talked about this: younger people seem disinclined to go into politics or public service in general. There should be a generational shift going on by now. That does not seem to be happening. Street protests are not going to solve much of anything going forward. The fact that Ed Rendell still gets consulted about stuff shows you the ridiculous situation we are in.

Old 08-31-2017, 07:18 AM

Broad + Pine, Coming Soon to a CDR Near You - OCF Realty

Nice addition to S Broad St. (renderings included)

Old 08-31-2017, 07:55 AM

Closely related to my rant just a few posts back.

Quote:
Though a monthly parking space requires a significant cash investment, the city virtually gives away its on-street parking. An annual permit from the Philadelphia Parking Authority still costs $35, less than a round of craft beers. The fee is so cheap it encourages people to warehouse their cars on the street, making it difficult to find parking.
Quote:
Raising the permit fees would be politically tricky. But it’s a far better solution for Philadelphia than a bill being advocated by Council President Darrell L. Clarke that would double the parking requirements for housing projects in the densest sections of the city — the places that have the least need for more off-street parking.
Why Center City parking garages are disappearing

Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Closely related to my rant just a few posts back.

Why Center City parking garages are disappearing

Clarke is such a disgrace. Phildelphia will never reach world class status with people like him running the city, that is a fact.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Clarke is such a disgrace. Phildelphia will never reach world class status with people like him running the city, that is a fact.
You bet!

The challenge is that competitors to Clarke are rare and I'm not convinced anyone could move him out because his constituents think he's doing ok AFAICT.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
How many times do I need to say this? As long as YOUR generation sits on your hands and does close to zero to get rid of fools/tools like Clarke the situation will not change at all. Since millennials are the largest generation now, and the oldest of you is about 35 years old, there should be nothing holding you back. Complaining, like you are above, is meaningless if so many of you refuse to actually get your hands dirty. It will be uphill battle no doubt it though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia