Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:34 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,557 times

Advertisements

Not at all
This is a little insulting to me, I may live in Cali but I am a die-hard eagles fan and there is no way Philly is going to be a 6th borough to a bunch of Giants fans. Besides Philly is totally different culturally, a good example is food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:38 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
No...philly is its own city

and this is coming from someone origially born and raised in philly but resides in nyc

philly is a very working class blue collar brick and mortar city. It isn't as nearly divded as nyc is.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:42 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
In short

NYC - Very Arrogant and Elitist
Philadelphia - No Arrogance
how do you call a city arrogant? are you talking about the people? if thats the case than you dont know too many new yorkers or philadelphians. plenty of arrogant ... here in philly. angry and arrogant.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-17-2010 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: profanity

Old 09-17-2010, 08:20 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,103 times
I know both cities very well....

NY the city itself has this Elitist Pretentious Snobbery about it because its the biggest in the USA, considered the 'World Captial', the Media portaits it as Heaven for all, and that it's sh*t dont stink....its not just the people, most of the people are victims of it or held hostage to it...

Philadelphia does not have this attitude - Sure you'll have snobs in Rittenhouse and out on the Main Line but the city as whole and the way the government functions understands that Philadelphia has its strides and problems, the city doesn't try to pretend to be this big Glamorous Mecca....

I love that about Philadelphia - its a night and day difference from NYC with the Pretentiousness factor....And everyone on here knows I have my issues with Philly but the realness of the city is definently not one of them...

Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,112 times
Quote:

NY the city itself has this Elitist Pretentious Snobbery about it because its the biggest in the USA, considered the 'World Captial', the Media portaits it as Heaven for all, and that it's sh*t dont stink....its not just the people, most of the people are victims of it or held hostage to it...

Philadelphia does not have this attitude - Sure you'll have snobs in Rittenhouse and out on the Main Line but the city as whole and the way the government functions understands that Philadelphia has its strides and problems, the city doesn't try to pretend to be this big Glamorous Mecca....

I love that about Philadelphia - its a night and day difference from NYC with the Pretentiousness factor....And everyone on here knows I have my issues with Philly but the realness of the city is definently not one of them...
you are talking out of your.... you can't relate the upper west side of manhattan residents to the blue collar residents of queens and staten island. i dont see much "pretentiousness" there, as you call it. outside of manhattan and brooklyn, most people that live in the 5 borough are born and raised, just like people here in philly. and you can cut the crap right now about how "real" philly is. have you been in center city lately? south street? thats real to you? Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-17-2010 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-17-2010, 11:02 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,683 times
Quote:

Seriously? You're generalizing and stereotyping populations of whole cities. That's just absurd. There are parts of Philly that are very NYC-esque and vice versa. Some of the snobbiest people on the Eastern Seaboard reside in Philadelphia and its environs, and some of the most humble live in NYC. And calling our city government understanding to Philadelphia's problems??? You've gotta be kiddin me?!? What is NYC's government then? Completely aloof?

The differences between the cities have nothing to do with the quality of human beings residing in each. Both are major urban areas with a high level of diversity: ethnically, culturally, socially, and economically. The difference is situational. Both cities evolved on their own down separate paths and both developed their own unique characters. But this does nothing to broadly generalize the whole population.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
you are talking out of your rectum. you can't relate the upper west side of manhattan residents to the blue collar residents of queens and staten island. i dont see much "pretentiousness" there, as you call it. outside of manhattan and brooklyn, most people that live in the 5 borough are born and raised, just like people here in philly. and you can cut the crap right now about how "real" philly is. have you been in center city lately? south street? thats real to you? retarded.
Excuse me - That you're opinion....Philadelphia people is not like NYC....Maybe you want it to be to feel more like Philadelphia's on same level as NYC's level or something.. Trust me Philadelphia is nowhere near NYC's Snobbery and Elitest Attitude.....

Come back to reality.....Please! Philadelphia is not NYC

Old 09-17-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Seriously? You're generalizing and stereotyping populations of whole cities. That's just absurd. There are parts of Philly that are very NYC-esque and vice versa. Some of the snobbiest people on the Eastern Seaboard reside in Philadelphia and its environs, and some of the most humble live in NYC. And calling our city government understanding to Philadelphia's problems??? You've gotta be kiddin me?!? What is NYC's government then? Completely aloof?

The differences between the cities have nothing to do with the quality of human beings residing in each. Both are major urban areas with a high level of diversity: ethnically, culturally, socially, and economically. The difference is situational. Both cities evolved on their own down separate paths and both developed their own unique characters. But this does nothing to broadly generalize the whole population.
What's abuserd is you notion that Philadelphia and NYC are the in the same catagories here.

No Son you have it wrong....

In the "Is Philadelphia NYC's 6 boro" you guys are offended to be thought of as an NYC boro

Here you saying the 2 cities are like sisters cities..

Make up your mind....Philadelphia does NOT have the attitude of NYC...I'm sorry it doesn't.....

NYC considers itself the WORLD CAPITIAL....Philadelphia does not...That's right there tells you the two levels the cities....and Manhattan Overshawdows all other parts of the city...but in all economies Manhattan is NYC. PERIOD BK, QNS, SI, Bronx are not the poster for NYC...

Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
I think many of the more recent posts have a good point.

If one thinks of Center City vs. (Lower) Manhattan, the latter does have a reputation for an astronomical wealth and "cool" factor. So it wouldn't be surprising if, for better or worse, those who have been able to thrive there are rather proud of themselves.

On the other hand, I believe that Philly proper and New York's other five boroughs are similarly down-to-earth, albeit with the previously mentioned "attytood" that might put off anyone not from the Northeast.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:21 AM

Right - I mean come on....NYC is the only city that competes against itself....

Ever heard of term Bridge&Tunnel people...that was a way for Manhattanites to thumb their nose on anyone that didnt live and breath the island of Manhattan....BK-QNS-SI-BX could've been suburbs of NYC for all these people cared...I mean talk about Elitism that's the pinnacle right there. There are even some that consider North of 96th street not to be "Manhattan" but they can't get away with that one as easily without being consider partially CRAZED....

Philadelphia doesn't even look down on Jersey let alone city competition - Imagine a Center City vs the Rest of Philadelphia type warfare...

Only two people I know have shown this type of Character, Both Mayor Street and Nutter....Center City was all that matters...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia