Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM

4 posts, read 13,280 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My fiancee and I are looking at moving to Philadelphia in the next month. We are interested in a place on Ridge Ave. in East Falls.

I've read nice things about East Falls (as far as relative safety, reasonable prices, proximity to Center City, commute, etc), but my question is more about taking buses through the more "not nice" areas of Philly.

See, my fiancee is attending Temple Pharmacy School, which is unfortunately situated adjacent to some areas in need of a little TLC. The most direct commute to Temple Pharmacy (at the Health Sciences Center) is by way of the #60 bus right down Allegheny to Broad. Google Maps Street View tells us that Allegheny should probably best be avoided at all costs, as do most people on this forum.

Is a bus ride down Allegheny a bad idea from East Falls, or should she be okay between 9AM (earliest class) and 3pm (her latest class).

Thanks for any comments you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 05:28 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,726,206 times
Riding the bus should be fine. It's not like it's the wild, wild west or anything.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:58 AM

316 posts, read 1,017,037 times
She could take the Regional Rail from East Falls to Temple, but no idea on getting from the train station to Health Sciences Center, not totally sure where that is.

Can she drive? Because if she can, then she could do that.

But in general, you're living in East Falls, choosing to go to school at Temple. Allegheny might be dicey at times, but then so is Temple, but its not like there are bullets flying through the air. Taking the bus shouldn't be that big of a deal if this is where you want to live and go to school.

Also, not sure about pharmacy school and how it works, but having been in grad school and hearing others comments as well, your class times don't tend to dictate the time you spend at the school, sometimes sure, but sometimes hours after class you are still there studying or doing other stuff. So keep that in mind.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,726,206 times
The Pharm school is on the hospital campus, so regional rail would either bring you to main campus where you could change for a shuttle bus or to North Broad, which is a longer walk than you would get from the 60 bus.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:58 AM

316 posts, read 1,017,037 times
Oh then definitely. Didn't know hospital campus was going by health sciences center name. Yes, too far, I mean North Broad stop is closer and still not close. Taking the train and a shuttle would add completely unnecessary time to the commute, its not worth it just to avoid riding on Allegheny. Taking the bus up Allegheny would be such a short trip from East Falls to the hospital area. Either drive or take the bus.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 13,280 times
Thanks all...we pretty much figured it would be alright to go up Allegheny on a bus. It's not like she'd be walking up Allegheny at midnight with headphones on, carrying a suitcase full of money. I just wanted to make sure. I appreciate your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia