Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:56 PM

241 posts, read 592,421 times

Advertisements

I'm considering an opportunity in Princeton NJ... but I don't think Princeton NJ is a fit for me living-wise. I'm a single young female professional. In my ideal world, I'd live in an urban loft / apt in the middle of downtown with no car. Alas, I don't live in my ideal world. I was hoping that a suburb of Philly would be reasonable... thoughts?

How bad is the commute going that direction?

Any suburb for me to research in? Safety is important. I rent. My idea is to have some compromise of having a more reasonable commute to work, while having easy access into town on the evenings of my choice... Preferably, on evenings / weekend that I don't go into Philly, the surrounding area is not completely dead. Some local shopping, dining, entertainment options would be nice.

I am starting to look at Bucks County, but need specifics to really dig deeper...

Thank you in advance for your thoughts

Last edited by yee8p; 06-29-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 03:20 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,597,091 times
If your job in Princeton is near the train station, you could still live in center city Philly. You would take the SEPTA R7 train to Trenton and then transfer to the NJT train to Princeton. It would be an over one hour trip and might be more time than you want to spend traveling, but I wanted you to know that it is doable and not complicated.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 AM

177 posts, read 531,215 times
I commute to Princeton from Philly daily. I live in Queen Village in a apt., and it takes me about 45 minutes to get there in the morning, and an hour at the longest to get home in the afternoon. It's really not bad. Taking SEPTA to NJ Transit takes forever.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:31 PM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
Some here have recommended Yardley as a bit of an active oasis. It will favor a shorter commute to Princeton while being not so distant to Center City for the weekend.

As a mass transit advocate, I'd support that SEPTA/NJ Transit combo too only if you happen to work near the Princeton station. The NJ leg of the trip may be a bit annoying as you'd have to transfer at Trenton, take a 10 minute trip to Princeton Junction, then transfer to a "mini-train" to Princeton itself. This would be after a 1-hour trip between Center City and Trenton. So you'd have to really love urban living to make that ~90 minute commute each way. Of course, there are an increasing number of NY expatriates who go all the way to Manhattan from downtown Philly.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-30-2010 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM

241 posts, read 592,421 times
I don't think I'm close enough to the princeton station...

Dray: Do you just drive? I've heard real bad things about traffic... is there like a magic time to leave home or something?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 39,006,000 times
Newtown in Bucks may not be bad either

Princeton is about a 45-60 minute drive from CC, I used to do quite frequently from CC to Scudders Mill

Old 07-01-2010, 06:37 AM

177 posts, read 531,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yee8p View Post
I don't think I'm close enough to the princeton station...

Dray: Do you just drive? I've heard real bad things about traffic... is there like a magic time to leave home or something?
Yup, I drive. The morning isn't bad, there's rarely any traffic. The thing is that you'd be leaving Philly while everyone else is driving in. I-95 southbound will be at a standstill while I'm going 70-80mph northbound. Coming home has more traffic, but at the longest it takes an hour. I'm usually out of my apartment at 7, maybe a little before. I need to get to work by 8:15ish, and I'm there by 8 at the latest usually.

If you do decide to move to Philly and do the commute by car, make sure you live near I-95.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,006,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Yup, I drive. The morning isn't bad, there's rarely any traffic. The thing is that you'd be leaving Philly while everyone else is driving in. I-95 southbound will be at a standstill while I'm going 70-80mph northbound. Coming home has more traffic, but at the longest it takes an hour. I'm usually out of my apartment at 7, maybe a little before. I need to get to work by 8:15ish, and I'm there by 8 at the latest usually.

If you do decide to move to Philly and do the commute by car, make sure you live near I-95.

Good point there, Queen Village, Old City, No Libs will definately save a few minutes over closer in the Center city

Old 07-01-2010, 07:39 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,562,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Good point there, Queen Village, Old City, No Libs will definately save a few minutes over closer in the Center city

yup, that's why i live in that area. quick jump over to jersey

Old 07-01-2010, 02:22 PM

316 posts, read 1,017,731 times
Are you working for a large company in Princeton? The jobs I considered there were with some of the pharma companies, and they had shuttles at the train station, just something to think about in terms of getting to and from the station, if that's an option through your company.

Is there a reason you don't want to live in Princeton as opposed to a PA suburb? In terms of a suburb, I don't know that they will be more active than what you will find in Princeton, I would be surprised if they were. I've had friends who lived there for grad school and liked the area enough and went to the city (NYC or Philly) when they got bored.

If you are up for the commute from CC to Princeton, then that's a great option, but if you are thinking about a PA suburb, I'm not sure things will be much more lively there than in Princeton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia