Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 04:07 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times

Advertisements

Any tips on keeping your pets calm and happy during packing and moving? Any tips on making the transition easier for them? On introducing them to their new home? On a really long moving drive?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM

167 posts, read 597,795 times
I have done this and I have to say, it went much smoother than I expected. I only had one dog at the time and he watched me pack up the house. On the day the movers came, I brought him to the vet so he wouldn't be there for the movers emptying the house - I think that would have been confusing and scary for him. After the movers left, I picked him up from the vet and we started our 5 day cross country drive to our new home. He used to get very carsick and vomited 2 times in the first half hour, after which I had to give him the Acepromazine the vet sent with us. But after that, he was fine. That long drive cured him of any future carsickness. He had a blast during the trip, saw snow for the first time during the trip, and basically had a very positive attitude about the whole thing. He enjoyed meeting all the nice people at the Super 8 motels we stayed at each night and I treated the trip like a fun vacation and he followed suit. I think your attitude and stress level will have a large effect on how your animals view the move. As long as they are with you, and you seem happy, they will probably be happy to. Also, make sure to talk to them and 'explain' things. I told him everything that was going to happen and then told him again what we were doing with each activity. They understand more words than we realize, and I have read that the more you talk to them, the more words they will learn and understand. So keep telling them what is going to happen and they will do fine. Oh, and of course make sure you have tags on them with a good phone number as well as updating information for their microchips (if they have them) should they become separated from you.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
I've done it a # of times...with cross country moves because of transfers. Best thing you can do for the new house is have their belongings with their scent on them handy. Familiar scent is comfort! I always had their beds, a blanket with their scent ready to unpack first thing. Even leaving your worn tee shirts or clothes for them can be comforting.
For us, the dogs seemed to be barely effected...as long as we were there with them. Even the cats seemed to settle down pretty quickly.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
I boarded the dogs for the days the movers were at the house packing and then loading up the truck. They would not have been happy with all the activity and would have barked all day and gotten really worked up.

I like the Super 8s as they are pet friendly. Never had a question when I pulled up w/2 dogs and 3 cats.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:12 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
I also have a hotel recommendation for traveling with pets - La Quinta. Even the furniture was good because there were very few places where they could burrow into. This happened to my mother once - one of the cats burrowed into the mattress.

I invested in a very large crate so that both cats could be in the same crate for the trip. That seemed to help quite a bit. I also brought a folding gate so that I could ensure the cats wouldn't dash out when I came back to the room from dinner.

My vet suggested I bring benadryl because that would calm them if they freaked out too badly. He suggested half a benadryl caplet would be OK for my cats (which are Maine Coons, so they are quite large). I wouldn't do this without checking with your vet first regarding your particular animals.

Good luck!

Old 12-18-2009, 11:58 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Getting them either cat or dog used to a crate is great. Actually they both like them. Once they learn them. I had to kick the cat out of the dog crate recently for going to Hawaii.

Dogs are normally easy for a car trip. Airlines crate absoulte. Depends on the trip and how moving. As far as car I don't know or ever seen a dog that doesn't like the car/truck. They are happy to go. Best Westerns in all my cases have always taken dogs, as well with most Holiday Inns, Hiltons and up north Coast to Coast in Canada.

My pup travels with me all the time. Depending on size of animal. stop at rest stops or pull overs if by car.. he is bigger so learned the sof nurf type balls better than tennis balls... allthough he is a maniac. Lost a tooth on the way to Alaska this summer chasing tennis ball. Soccer ball also saved my shoulder from throwing the ball. kicking is easier but I am getting past the 40 mark.

If airline depends on weight etc......for how you ship them. then again give them their blanket, pillow, I threw in a t-shirt that I wore for two days to make scent. He did amazinly well to Hawaii. Don't know what he went through but did it better than I thought. He did at some point paw at the opening of cage and get it a little scewed. Now watching him because he is way too mellow for his normal behavior.

You will more than likely have to get a health certificate, make sure he is up on rabies, have a micro chip implanted would be smart, make a tag with his /your new information on. Check for regulationations for shots, mircro chip where ever you going. Hawaii I believe has the worst of issues to have before hand but it is a laundry list. Check out where ever you are going what requirements.

as far as the calm things,pills??? pass on it if it is airline and unless cats I would say pass. Airlines actually don't want you to give for medical issues. If you get them used to the crate before travel there will be no issue.

Good luck in the move... I wouldn't give anything to your animals without vet. Warning Cats are allergic to asprin and will seizure and die from it. Learned that working for a vet.

100 % is your atttitude if you are freaked out then they are too. Your attitude is the most important to keep calm. Find your self something that works to have you calm down ,incense, mediatation whatever..... If you are all stressed they will be also,

Last edited by nwcountrygal; 12-19-2009 at 12:06 AM..

Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM

386 posts, read 1,364,430 times
If you may need tranquilizers for your pet, give the dosage a week or so before, just to see how he/she reacts. Then, the med can be adjusted if necessary before you leave. As far as the long time in the car, lots of breaks to stretch their legs, water to stay hydrated, and hopefully you have a doggie seat belt (not sure if there are kitty seat belts). Also, if they like toys, bring a few new ones and introduce them at points along the trip - something new to focus his/her attention on, rather than focusing on the time in the car.

The only other tip I can offer is something I do for my two dogs. When they do something good, when we are going to act silly playing etc., I seem to say the same things to them out of habit and they have picked up on those words with that tone of voice. To them it means they are good girls and we are going to have some fun. If they react negatively to something (fireworks or loud noises are good examples) I use those same words and tone and it seems to deflect their anxiety. It seems to convey that everything is ok and they don't have to freak out. I don't know if you have anything like that to use, but if you do, try to use that when the movers are there. Maybe it will help.

Of course, phone number on their collar - I would write a local number on their caller just in case they get lost at your new home and the person does not want to call long distance.

Good luck!

Old 12-27-2009, 07:24 PM

584 posts, read 2,150,391 times
Thanks, these are all things I thought of. Familiar smells, sounds, attitude. How long do you think they will take to adjust to the new house and yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets