Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,280,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I don't know. I'm investigating. I'm feeding Merrick right now. Wellness won't tell me where their food is made, because it's "proprietary information"! I'm waiting to hear from Natura.
According to Eagle Pack's rep that stopped by to visit with me last week, EP and Wellness are getting married. As he managed to stop in during the end of the day, it was difficult for me to give him undivided attention. I plan on emailing him to find out exactly where the food will be manufactured.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 03:42 PM

1,477 posts, read 7,913,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
According to Eagle Pack's rep that stopped by to visit with me last week, EP and Wellness are getting married. As he managed to stop in during the end of the day, it was difficult for me to give him undivided attention. I plan on emailing him to find out exactly where the food will be manufactured.
Thanks for the info! Please let us know what you find out.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:17 PM

72 posts, read 275,728 times
Default Cook your own

Has anyone considered cooking at home for their pets? I have two Labs who ate some of that bad food that was going around. Since then, I have cooked their food at home. Rice, Beef, Peas, Cranberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Apples, etc. They love it! It takes about 1/2 an hour twice a week and they have never been healthier or happier. Food for thought.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:28 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,000,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leorah View Post
I've just finished reading "Pet Food Politics-the Chihuahua in the Coal Mine" by Marion Nestle. Amazon.com: Pet Food Politics: The Chihuahua in the Coal Mine: Marion Nestle: Books.

After reading the review in Whole Dog Journal, I bought the book and read it straight through in one sitting. Now, I try to be careful about what I feed my animals and I thought I knew a lot about pet food production and the 2007 recall of melamine-adulterated foods. After reading this book I was amazed not only at what I didn't know about pet food and the recalls, but also at what I didn't know about the interconnections between pet food and human food. It's positively scary.

Has anyone else read this book?
Not yet but thanks for the recommendation.

If you haven't already, I also recommend "Food Pets Die For" by Ann N. Martin. It's another horrifying eye-opener about commercial pet food.

Reading that book convinced me to switch to holistic pet food.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Not yet but thanks for the recommendation.

If you haven't already, I also recommend "Food Pets Die For" by Ann N. Martin. It's another horrifying eye-opener about commercial pet food.

Reading that book convinced me to switch to holistic pet food.

Thanks for the suggestion. I just finished "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle so I'm ready for a new book!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,852,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenijoy View Post
Has anyone considered cooking at home for their pets? I have two Labs who ate some of that bad food that was going around. Since then, I have cooked their food at home. Rice, Beef, Peas, Cranberries, Green Beans, Carrots, Apples, etc. They love it! It takes about 1/2 an hour twice a week and they have never been healthier or happier. Food for thought.
Yes! I cook for mine too! They love it! They look great and both of them limp a LOT less from their arthritis! I highly recommend it. I use a rice cooker and make a 50/50 rice/lentil mix and cook the meat (usually either chicken or hamburger - whatever I can get on sale) in my crock pot. I do this once a week; it just couldn't be easier. They also get mixed vegies and fruit.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:54 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,683,616 times
Dr Michael Fox, AKA "Ask The Animal Doctor" has a brand new expose out as well:

NOT FIT FOR A DOG: THE TRUTH ABOUT MANUFACTURED DOG AND CAT FOOD, co-authored with Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM, Esq, and Marion E. Smart, DVM, PhD, Sanger CA, Quill Driver Books, 2008

Old 10-19-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Dr Michael Fox, AKA "Ask The Animal Doctor" has a brand new expose out as well:

NOT FIT FOR A DOG: THE TRUTH ABOUT MANUFACTURED DOG AND CAT FOOD, co-authored with Elizabeth Hodgkins, DVM, Esq, and Marion E. Smart, DVM, PhD, Sanger CA, Quill Driver Books, 2008
Thank you for the recommendation! I'll read it....

Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,361,273 times
Thanks for all this info. We lost a doggie a year ago. She did not die from eating the food. But she did eat some of that tained alpo cutsandgravy. And got very sick and had severe diarrhea and we thought she was gonna die. She recovered, but she was very old and died 8 months later. But I can't help but think that the food hastened her demise a little at her age. (17).
Next doggie I am seriously thinking of cooking our own. I will consult with our vet before doing this though. I am sure you have to put in some protein powder into the meat or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets