Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times

Advertisements

Hello, to make a long story short:

I moved out of an apartment last June. Management claimed I owed 143 Dollars to them ( supposedly carpet needed to be replaced). I had proof that the carpet was clean. Manager said I do not owe any additional money.
Today it showed up on my credit report. I NEVER got anything in the mail. This was like a shock to me.

Moderator cut: business name removed

They are after me now. They are here in Houston. I need your advise - what am I supposed to do? Now it's on my report and screwed up my credit bad.
The manager works somewhere else now. But I am trying to hunt her down.
If I pay it, don't I admit basically my "fault" ? I do want it to be removed off my report. Paying it right now would limit the damage, but I do not know if I can still dispute it once I pay it.

I really do need some help. I took good care of my credit all these years. I never had a negative entry. I can't put it in words how I feel.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-05-2009 at 06:49 AM.. Reason: consumer complaint issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:27 PM

1,461 posts, read 5,598,636 times
I would dispute the claim and by paying you are only resolving the debt and not the negative entry. Send the collection agency a dispute letter and if all fails try again. Hope that helps.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:30 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,281,522 times
Good advise from Beto, contact the collection agency with a letter of dispute. Send the proof along with your letter of dispute and then present the proof to the collection agency.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 PM

Well, the thing is I only had proof that the carpet was clean. But I don't have much proof that the manager said I don't owe any more money. I was able to locate her and tried to contact her.

Should I consider paying it so that at least the account will be closed until I can resolve this?

Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM

Ok, I just found the emails the manager had emailed me. I kind of doubt this is proof enough. But she did say:

Quote:
I am willing to meet you halfway on the cost to help eleviate some of your burden.
It was about 700 to replace the carpet.. so I should have gotten something back instead of paying 143 in addition to it.

Is it still worth a try?

Old 03-03-2009, 04:01 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times
I would fight it. If you pay it, it will still be on your credit report and count against your credit score.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Call her back and tell her to go $%$# herself. You're pretty much screwed. Pay it and be done with it. You said yourself you've been perfect on your credit for along time. I doubt once it's paid and hows that it is on your credit report that it'll still be a great score.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Call her back and tell her to go $%$# herself. You're pretty much screwed. Pay it and be done with it. You said yourself you've been perfect on your credit for along time. I doubt once it's paid and hows that it is on your credit report that it'll still be a great score.
Well, my score dropped by 150 points I always paid everything and anything on time. And that's what I get back. This system sucks. Should not be allowed to do this if they don't even notify you. I'm still speechless.

It's not just about the score. How am I gonna get an apartment here again when they see this.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,028,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Well, my score dropped by 150 points I always paid everything and anything on time. And that's what I get back. This system sucks. Should not be allowed to do this if they don't even notify you. I'm still speechless.

I said once you pay it and it shows on your credit report as paid, please read carefully.

**** happens, even to good people.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
I said once you pay it and it shows on your credit report as paid, please read carefully.

**** happens, even to good people.
I do know that. Dosen't change anything. Will be still on there for 5 years. Also will screw my score for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance