Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 13,511 times

Advertisements

A company that I have been a customer of since 1985 offered a special membership that charges $25 per year has been notified 3 times that I did not want to continue the membership but continued to charge me. After speaking to their customer service rep's they informed me that they would take care of the mistake and credit my account. I took their name's and ID numbers for proof that I spoke to these people and placed them in my notes. I have carried a "0" balance as I always do except for the charge of the membership. They never implied I was late nor did they charge me a late fee but reported me to the credit bureau of being 30 days late when I called them on the first day when pay ment wasn't due for 3 more weeks. What recourse do I have? I am a stickler for keeping my credit perfect I had a credit score of 798 knocked it down to 724 can I sue for ruining my credit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM

877 posts, read 2,087,966 times
Look up the Fair Credit Reporting Act. There are plenty of resources that can help you out.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:50 AM

1 posts, read 760 times
This makes no sense. Firstly, i would hardly say that a score of 724 was "ruined"- damaged yes but "ruined" no. How did it go down 74 points ? The post says it was the first day a payment would be due but the account was reported as being 30 days late. This must be the over 30 days report or 31 days but since you claim such extreme meticulousness it is uncanny to think that you would not have caught this prior to it being reported. Given the drop in the score it seems more like 90 days. Since the company had an obligation to cancel the membership and no longer charge you they need to report their mistake to the credit bureau. Since you wrote down the names and ID numbers of the reps you spoke to after the fact it might be more beneficial to go back and find the name and ID number of the rep you spoke to to cancel the membership along with the date. Have that person's supervisor contact the credit bureau and correct the report. This takes some time since it is done by the tape being updated and these corrected tapes are not updated every month but they are done and your credit score will be restored. In the meantime you are entitled to have an explanation added that simply states that this membership was cancelled in due time, payment was never late, this negative report is an error or erroneous. with a 724 you will still be able to buy your BMW with a low interest loan.

Old 03-03-2015, 09:56 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,421,177 times
First of all, your credit is not "ruined". Like the others, I am skeptical of the circumstances as the payment wouldn't be reported as 30 days past due unless it wasn't paid until the second billing cycle passed without a payment. If you just let it ride assuming the credit would occur before the next billing cycle that's negligence on your part. You should have paid the balance by the due date and monitored the account to make sure the credit was eventually processed.

I also have a hard time believing that a 30-day late fee would ding your credit score this much unless your credit history is very limited beyond this one card. Regardless, if it's really only the one 30 day late payment, your credit should rebound fairly quickly. And unless you were planning to take out a mortgage in the very near future and are concerned about a higher interest rate, you're really not harmed in any way by the reduced credit score. Bruised egos don't count.

You can try disputing it, but I doubt you'll get anywhere since, again, it's ultimately your responsibility to make sure your payments are made on time regardless of the fact that you are expecting a credit to offset the charge.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,526,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ity Attorney View Post
This makes no sense.
Welcome to City Data.

Please remember to look at the dates of the posts your are replying to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance