Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on how to speed up the process of updating/disputes in credit file.

Can file be updated without a dispute process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM

741 posts, read 3,512,162 times
Last year I pulled my credit and hubbys credit from the free yearly site. There was very old data in both of our reports. They were not "automatically" removed until I disputed them. In fact, there were 18 items that the credit reporting agencies(all 3 I did this with) had to remove on my husbands account alone. There were 11 on mine. This took about 30 days. Hope that helps ya.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,498,251 times
No. The process is the process. However, lenders who have an active application will recast the credit score when they are satisfied that an adverse credit item is not correct. Further, many lenders actually use roll up agencies that combine the 3 reports and give the lender a composite score. These agencies will modify their reports on request from the lenders.

And, take note of my earlier post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Heck! This is such a good post it deserves its own thread:

Every single person should do the following every year:

Get a copy of all three credit reports.

Here is where you get it:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/resources...tformfinal.pdf

Then, circle and number every adverse credit item on each of the reports. Write separate letters to the issuer(s) disputing every adverse item. Say: "not me" "Paid on time" "never delinquent" "didn't owe the money",etc. Reference the circled items. Include any address with a typo even if its just Street Vs. Avenue. Say "not my address. ". Do not dispute adverse items online. Always paper.

The reporting agency then has 30 days to confirm the adverse item. This can be extended to 60 days upon request of the creditor.

If the adverse item is not confirmed then the credit agency MUST remove it from your report.

So if they can't find your file, or the account got sold, or the bank is closed or the hospital getstired of looking this up or they just run out of time, your credit is improved.

People who do this for a business charge hundreds of dollars (sometimes thousands) and this is all they do. The confirm rate is about 3/4 on correct items. So even if every item on your report is correct, chances are you will significantly improve your score. Now I know this will pi** some people off here, so when you flame me, be sure you have looked it up and can cite any law or regualtion where it is wrong to dispute a valid item on a credit report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance