Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,061,574 times

Advertisements

It happened to me several times.

One time, my mail was stolen and someone used my new credit card to take $5000 of cash advances. It was a card that I had just applied for, so I didn't even know to expect it in the mail. It wasn't until 6 months after the account was delinquent and they started trying to collect it that I received a phone call about it.

Luckily, I was serving on a volunteer mission in another country when the card was finally sent and used, so it was clear to the cc company that it truly wasn't me. They called my mother and got my number overseas and reached me there. Otherwise, I really don't know what would have happened or if I would have been held liable for the money.

Here and there, suspicious charges show up on my credit cards and I dispute them or I'll get a call from my cc company occaisionally if they see something out of the norm, but I reconcile my budget weekly, so I catch things quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 09:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,658,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
It can happen even if you don't use your card to make internet purchases.
You are so right. I have a friend who used her credit card to pay for a doctor's visit. Well, someone in the doctor's office had all her information from her patient chart including her SSN. This person opened accounts and charged goods. They did catch this thief who was prosecuted.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:04 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,449,918 times
Is is scary... makes you want to go back to paying with "cash" only . Only this is not very practical when ordering over the internet!
Something I wondered about is, are all these cases persecuted, or does the credit card company just try to get their money back? I would want the person that used my card info to be punished. Guess there are probably too many cases of this for them to really pursue it?!

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-22-2008, 02:16 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,658,037 times
I think they will go after them if they can find them. But with frauds coming from out of the country, I would imagine that would be much harder to find and prosecute.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,809,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Timely thread! I bought a set of tools from MI Tools on Monday. No email confirmation. I called them 4 time already and had yet to speak to anyone. Emailed them and got no reply. It is beginning to look like a scam.
Got the tools today. These people are legit. Just want to say that.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 AM

622 posts, read 3,114,683 times
My CCs were stolen and charged $1.65 and $1.29... small amounts at first, then they went to a mall and bought $200 -$300 items in electronics. I'm guessing, like an above poster, they want to "test" the card first with a small purchase, then go for the bigger stuff.

It was a few cards that were stolen from me, but they were eventually caught and are now in jail. The thieves had more than the CC fraud case against them, so I'm not sure that is what put them behind bars, AGAIN. They were out on parole for a couple of months when they robbed me. They'll be in jail until 2012.

Anyway, the CC companies called me and I was never liable for any of the debt. Maybe the police report helped. What saved me was the CC calling me because I didn't know which numbers to call when the CCs were missing. One should ALWAYS have the CC and other numbers handy in another location so that you can call them when/if you need to do so.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:08 PM

18 posts, read 30,074 times
It happened to me before, years ago.

They were cell phone charges (two at about $100 each) when I didn't even own a cell phone at the time. I simply called them up, they asked me to fill out a form and send it in, and they took care of it.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I always wondered whether those were actually fraudulent charges or mistakes made by the credit card company (debiting my credit card instead of someone else's). I haven't cancelled the card and continued using it for years, and it hasn't happened since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance