Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2023, 09:29 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Trust me we did. The rule is tourist visa to USA you have to prove you can afford to sustain yourself, cash or a credit card works., the visa company who booked her flight did not advise of the new added Covid test requirement nor the cash show which we had in China but converted it to the bank check with their knowledge.
I offered her my credit card info,as I plan to pay for the visit but that would not suffice.

Am I over reacting mailing the check rather than have her bring it and of course report it on flight?
I am not trying to pry into your business but your answers are confusing me.
A B1/B2 may require proof of funds to support stay. There is no set amount/source.
What are you referring to as "gov owned mail carrier"?
She was denied a boarding pass but had a B1/B2 visa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 09:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
OP should look through the comments on the r/scams subreddit.

This story has some hallmarks of common scams. There is at least one person a day posting a similar story.

Here is one from today, talking about $6000 needed for a visa…

https://old.reddit.com/r/Scams/comme...mmed_big_time/

OP should watch some videos on this YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishedOnline

The latest video from 3 days ago has a woman now in legal trouble for “helping” her online “friend”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Lgr1Bu6fc

Old 08-26-2023, 12:07 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
OP should look through the comments on the r/scams subreddit.

This story has some hallmarks of common scams. There is at least one person a day posting a similar story.

Here is one from today, talking about $6000 needed for a visa…

https://old.reddit.com/r/Scams/comme...mmed_big_time/

OP should watch some videos on this YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishedOnline

The latest video from 3 days ago has a woman now in legal trouble for “helping” her online “friend”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48Lgr1Bu6fc
How could people be so gullible?

Old 08-26-2023, 12:11 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Please just have the money deposited into your bank account. No need to have the check mailed or carried. Are you sure it is a legitimate check? I have inherited money from overseas, & I always had it wired & deposited. Safe & convenient.

I agree with those who said please read up on scam artists.

Old 08-26-2023, 03:57 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
There is no requirement to have a Covid test to travel from HK to the US. That requirement was lifted in March. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/china...tive-test.html

Old 08-26-2023, 05:04 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
OP, can you ask the person/company who issued the check to cancel it and do a bank transfer instead? I would be interested in what they say and why they would even consider doing a paper check.

Here you are worried about how you're going to get it. Have you even considered that your bank won't accept it?

Old 08-26-2023, 07:01 PM

577 posts, read 299,783 times
She converted it to a bank check mis understanding me when I said leave the cash in the Hong Kong bank but bring you blank check book when you visit. So she had them make a bak check not bring blank checks.

Ups says thei will not ship bank drafts so I am preparing the disclosure documents as the next best course. It’s no scam .

Old 08-26-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am not trying to pry into your business but your answers are confusing me.
A B1/B2 may require proof of funds to support stay. There is no set amount/source.
What are you referring to as "gov owned mail carrier"?
She was denied a boarding pass but had a B1/B2 visa?
Correct she has a valid 2 yr tourist visa. We had funds in her bank account so the embassy could check wncd condfirm she had enough to support her visa allowed travels, $14k was amount required in bank account. But company we hired said funds can be sent back to you after visa issued. They were wrong she was denied flight as she did not have 6 to 7k cash nor in her bank account as funds were used to,purchase the bank check in my name, meaning only accessible to me but I’m here and the check is there.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
OP, can you ask the person/company who issued the check to cancel it and do a bank transfer instead? I would be interested in what they say and why they would even consider doing a paper check.

Here you are worried about how you're going to get it. Have you even considered that your bank won't accept it?
My bank will accept it no problem of course I checked that. The bank who issued it won’t do a thing with it without my in person instruction and I’m not planning to go for a while.,worse comes to worse I pick it up,in 6 months when I go there. But the declaration form is something I can prepare and send to her to carry with the check and the required cash to show so she can come here using her valid visa.

Old 08-26-2023, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
There is no requirement to have a Covid test to travel from HK to the US. That requirement was lifted in March. https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/china...tive-test.html
It is now a new requirement in Hong Kong as of Thursday night. The company who helped us get the visa was not aware of. This or the show the cash at the airport requirement. We had funds we showed to the embassy but my friend converted the cash to a bank check payable tome only. I am here, the check is there and the bank won’t reverse the transaction. I don’t need the money back now but want it back eventually just like the funds we now have to show at the airport. I can use those funds to pay for the trip,etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance