Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 06:52 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,383,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i took an interest around 19- 20 years old .
Same here. I decided that I wasn't going to be a slave to the system for the rest of my life...and I'm on track to retire by my mid 50's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 07:09 AM

6,792 posts, read 5,526,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The said truth is that financial literacy is worthless to high school teenagers living with their parents. They’re too busy trying to get laid and play high school sports

You would have to start at kindergarten before they have a chance to think. It needs to be as important as reading, writing, and math.

Think back to your high school days, where you worried about building credit or mortgaging a house? Probably not. But if you started very early, like many Jewish Americans, you would be very good with money as an adult.
Elementary school is still too young, i think.

High school they should be taught about all things financial.

Any GOOD financial advice book is a good and should be required reading.

They need to be taught about
Savings accounts;
CDs;
Writing checks;
Balancing a checkbook;
Stocks;
Bonds;
Mutual funds;
ETFs;
Mortgages;
Real Estate buying/selling;
Funding college;
Funding retirement;
And more.

Id suggest that they teach it in college, but not everyone goes to college. But it should be a REQUIRED course to graduate from high school and from college.

A Personal Finance and Economics course should be taught/required for graduation from both high school and college, AND INCLUDED in GED requirements for graduation high school that way.

EVERYONE should be taught.

Any number if books, or one created for the express purpose of the course will do.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:47 AM

27,739 posts, read 28,858,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
When I think of being wealthy and putting that wealth to use, I think of George Soros or the Koch brothers, or Robert Mercer. That's the sort of fortune that I dream of building, and the sort of influence that I dream of wielding. No please tell me: am I going to get there by driving a cheaper car, or investing in duplexes, or maxing out my annual 401K contributions?
Becoming the next George Soros or the like is an unachievable goal for most people. The point of saving and investing is to become financially independent.

That is a realistic goal for a large percentage of Americans if they put in the effort over a long period of time.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 AM

3,050 posts, read 5,003,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Elementary school is still too young, i think.

High school they should be taught about all things financial.

Any GOOD financial advice book is a good and should be required reading.

They need to be taught about
Savings accounts;
CDs;
Writing checks;
Balancing a checkbook;
Stocks;
Bonds;
Mutual funds;
ETFs;
Mortgages;
Real Estate buying/selling;
Funding college;
Funding retirement;
And more.

Id suggest that they teach it in college, but not everyone goes to college. But it should be a REQUIRED course to graduate from high school and from college.

A Personal Finance and Economics course should be taught/required for graduation from both high school and college, AND INCLUDED in GED requirements for graduation high school that way.

EVERYONE should be taught.

Any number if books, or one created for the express purpose of the course will do.

Isn't teaching life skills generally the responsibility of parents?

Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 AM

107,223 posts, read 109,579,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Isn't teaching life skills generally the responsibility of parents?
except most americans are financially ignorant ... just look at the myths and old wives tales adults in these forums spew as fact

Old 03-14-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyaussie View Post
isn't teaching life skills generally the responsibility of parents?
lol

Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
except most americans are financially ignorant ... just look at the myths and old wives tales adults in these forums spew as fact
Yes. And most Americans have poor math skills.

I would not trust the school system to adequately educate my kids on finances.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 AM

107,223 posts, read 109,579,994 times
Quote:
Yes. And most Americans have poor math skills.

I would not trust the school system to adequately educate my kids on finances.
i would never trust the parents to teach their children anything related to , personal finance or investing as a group . i don't blame the system for poor math skills i blame the kids having no interest

Old 03-14-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
i would never trust the parents to teach their children anything related to , personal finance or investing as a group . i don't blame the system for poor math skills i blame the kids having no interest
And that's exactly the reason a personal finance class would not work in high school.

Old 03-14-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
And that's exactly the reason a personal finance class would not work in high school.
What makes you think that the kids have any interest in ANY of the classes at all? But yet we still require the courses.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance