Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 AM

197 posts, read 97,966 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about self-made people who might not have prestigious jobs but work hard and live below their means, people who listen to Dave Ramsey. I know a lot of people like this. They live in average houses and drive 12-year-old Toyota Carollas and are worth $2-$3 million none of which they inherited. They nearly all vote Republican.

It makes sense ... Who would want to live in a society where someone who lives below their means has to be forced to give their money to a welfare bum who finances a BMW X3 with their welfare checks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2018, 11:12 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I'm talking about self-made people who might not have prestigious jobs but work hard and live below their means, people who listen to Dave Ramsey. I know a lot of people like this. They live in average houses and drive 12-year-old Toyota Carollas and are worth $2-$3 million none of which they inherited. They nearly all vote Republican.

It makes sense ... Who would want to live in a society where someone who lives below their means has to be forced to give their money to a welfare bum who finances a BMW X3 with their welfare checks?
Who are these people that use welfare to finance BMW X3's?

You may be correct in who is voting Republican - but these sure are terrible/baseless assumptions.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:15 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:

I don't see a problem with this.

Likewise, most people who vote democrat are either the underclass who is dependent on government handouts or those who wish to exercise authoritarian control over others. It's a good way to distinguish the two groups: individualist as opposed to tyrannists.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
I don't know. Many of my friends live below their means, as do I, and we vote democrat. I also listen to Dave Ramsey. And I even know the facts about welfare, which includes, "nobody finances a BMW X3 with their welfare check."

But people can vote however they'd like. They can vote to spend more of their money on social programs or more of their money on sending troops to do the jobs of border patrol agents or more of their money to fund golf trips every weekend for a (supposed) billionaire. Either way, they're not keeping their money. Vote to have it spent where you want.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:

Again
Your prejudices drive your opinions
What FACTS back up your statement?

Old 11-17-2018, 12:04 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
We understand that individual initiative, hard work among other things = achievement and lifetime economic security. Something a government or its “programs” can never, ever provide.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Hmmmm.......more projection. If we are going to talk "in general", there are vastly more newly minted millionaires in the successful (mostly liberal) states, and therefore in the aggregate they vote liberal.

Are there many cantankerous businessmen who don't want to pay the true cost of a modern society? Sure. I don't know why that would be something to brag about though. Kids like big ice cream cones too (in other news).

Old 11-17-2018, 12:11 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,114,602 times
Well that is a nice OP of anecdata, but it's just that....anecdotes. You would need to show some actual numbers, surveys, etc. to see if your premise is true.

Like this is for millionaires in general, but Business Insider said "More rich Americans identify as Democrat (58%) than Republican (38%)."
https://www.businessinsider.com/fasc...naires-2017-11

I need to keep hunting down stats. I have read the book, so I am curious.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:20 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Conserve-ative

Old 11-17-2018, 12:42 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
... and we vote democrat. I also listen to Dave Ramsey. ...
Well, I don't know whether to congratulate you for having a split personality or disbelieve you.

The values and philosophy of the democrats and those of Dave Ramsey couldn't be farther on opposite ends of the spectrum. Haven't you ever actually listened to Ramsey's actual words on his radio shows? It's obvious which end of the political spectrum he is on. It's impossible to follow his advice in its entirety and be a democrat at the same time, AND be truly dedicated to both philosophies... because, like I said, they are polar opposites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies