Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,970,677 times

Advertisements

I will save my diatribe for later. The IRS is rejecting my 2015 tax return because I don't know my 2014 "adjusted gross income".

My college accounting teacher encouraged me to become a CPA. I generally do alright with numbers. A major problem is that I have never heard of "adjusted gross income". In the past we had gross incomes and net incomes. Adjusted net income is a viable term that is clearly understood.

TurboTax instructed me to look up the figure on my 2014 returns. There is no mention of "adjusted gross income" in any TurboTax edition that I may recall.

I have business income....personal income....rental property income. I don't even know where to look. "Adjusted gross income" is simply not mentioned anywhere.

Made a couple guesses. Both got rejected. This is a major blight for TurboTax. First they failed to integrate 2014 into 2015....thus forcing users to start over again. This obliterates the major reason to use TurboTax. Searching for "adjusted gross income" in my 2014 TurboTax forms yields absolutely nothing.

This all seems like a cruel joke.

Yes....I filed an extension for Oct. 15th. Things were overwhelming back in April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,646,507 times
I've never used Turbo Tax.

On your form 1040, your adjusted gross income is the number on both lines 37 and 38. Line 37 is the bottom line of page 1. Line 38 is the first line of page 2.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,468,602 times
IIRC the coversheet of turbotax gives you the AGI. AGI is nothing new. It's income minus pretax savings like 401k, IRA, itemized deductions etc.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:18 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,646,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
IIRC the coversheet of turbotax gives you the AGI. AGI is nothing new. It's income minus pretax savings like 401k, IRA, itemized deductions etc.
It's before itemized or standard deduction, also before personal exemptions.

Old 10-16-2016, 01:47 PM

Thanks..this worked though I found it in a round-a-bout way. Went to print the Turbo Tax PDF....then I see the ability to print...wala...Form 1040. There is my figure plain as day. When doing TurboTax, I don't think Adjusted Gross Income, Form 1040, or Line 37/38 is ever mentioned.

TurboTax could have extended the courtesy of saying....Adjusted Gross Income is found on line 37 of Form 1040. Find this by opening the PDF. No...they just keep reminding you that the IRS may reject your taxes if you don't figure it out. Coincidentally...every time you refile, you are given the opportunity to buy their Audit Protection program. I imagine this works as the stress factor ramps up with each rejection and the looming deadline.

Isn't TurboTax the major sponsor of the 2015 SuperBowl? This incidence lends a real blow to their credibility. Not integrating 2014 into 2015 destroys the rational for using TurboTax. 2014 is sitting on my computer and readily accessible. Yet TurboTax 2015 could not find it. Nothing like starting over again when tax form printing yields over 50 pages of documents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I've never used Turbo Tax.

On your form 1040, your adjusted gross income is the number on both lines 37 and 38. Line 37 is the bottom line of page 1. Line 38 is the first line of page 2.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM

I've used Turbotax for years and have never had a problem carrying over from previous years. I use the downloaded version though not the online one. I find that one a lot easier to use. It carries over your AGI from last year automatically so no need to look it up every year.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
It's before itemized or standard deduction, also before personal exemptions.
You're right, I'm not sure what I was thinking. Thanks.

Old 10-16-2016, 05:01 PM

Mine used to and I loved that fact. This year...it did not. This year was ....troublesome. It always asks for the exact day that everything took place...for example. I can't remember the exact day from last week let alone 2010...or 2006.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I've used Turbotax for years and have never had a problem carrying over from previous years. I use the downloaded version though not the online one. I find that one a lot easier to use. It carries over your AGI from last year automatically so no need to look it up every year.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:58 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,121,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I will save my diatribe for later. The IRS is rejecting my 2015 tax return because I don't know my 2014 "adjusted gross income".

My college accounting teacher encouraged me to become a CPA. I generally do alright with numbers. A major problem is that I have never heard of "adjusted gross income". In the past we had gross incomes and net incomes. Adjusted net income is a viable term that is clearly understood.

TurboTax instructed me to look up the figure on my 2014 returns. There is no mention of "adjusted gross income" in any TurboTax edition that I may recall.

I have business income....personal income....rental property income. I don't even know where to look. "Adjusted gross income" is simply not mentioned anywhere.

Made a couple guesses. Both got rejected. This is a major blight for TurboTax. First they failed to integrate 2014 into 2015....thus forcing users to start over again. This obliterates the major reason to use TurboTax. Searching for "adjusted gross income" in my 2014 TurboTax forms yields absolutely nothing.

This all seems like a cruel joke.

Yes....I filed an extension for Oct. 15th. Things were overwhelming back in April.

You are a CPA and you don't know what "adjusted gross income" is?

I've used Turbo Tax for over 15 years and my previous tax years have always transferred over. If you have moved to a new computer, you do need to make sure you transfer over your files from previous years. Could that be what happened? If you are using the free version online, I don't think you can look at your actual return until you pay though. In the paid version of Turbo Tax, there is button, usually top right hand corner, that allows you to move from the question/answer view to the actual return view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance