Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:34 PM

13,742 posts, read 8,004,726 times

Advertisements

I currently live aboard, earn $88,000 a year and pay taxes where I reside. The $88,000 is under foreign exclusion limit so I don`t pay US taxes on this amount.

I also gross some $130,000 in rental income in the US. However, my mortgages, losses from previous years and yearly expenses reduce my adjusted gross income to zero.

2016 I will be returning to the US to manage my rental property. Rental income will be my sole income. My adjusted gross income for 2016 will likely be zero again as losses from previous years, deprecation, expenses etc will reduce the net earnings.

Now.....I will be joining the national health care plan and not sure of my modified adjusted gross income.

Do I need to add back in all the rental income making my modified adjusted gross income $130,000 a year as opposed to an adjusted gross income of $0?

Is the $25,000 deduction I get for managing the properties the only write off I can declare or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by john3232; 12-26-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 07:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Would you really depend on the advice given on this forum rather than a qualified CPA/tax advisor?

Old 12-27-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Would you really depend on the advice given on this forum rather than a qualified CPA/tax advisor?
No, and I`ll ask my accountant in Feb. about this.

However, in the meantime if anyone has a general idea of how modified adjusted gross income would be applied to the situation I mentioned in opening post that would be great. This hasn`t been an issue because I`ve been living abroad but I plan to return to the States next year.

My overseas income is under the foreign exclusion amount so that`s straight forward and my adjusted gross income earned in the States (rental property) has been reduced to zero after expenses/deductions.

However, after moving back I would like to join Obamacare which is based on income (among other things)

I have a gross rental property income of some $130,000 but as I mentioned when you factor in the deductions/expenses my adjusted gross income is $0

But if I understand correct Obamacare is based on modified adjusted gross income which means I must add back the $130,000 net income which the adjusted gross income has at $0.

I won`t be working in the States except to manage my properties. I understand I get a $25,000 deduction for managing the homes but that all I seem to find.

Again I`ll speak with my accountant but in the meantime anyone who can provide a basic idea of how modified adjusted gross incomes works in connection with invest property deductions (outside of the $25 grand for managing) that would be great.

Last edited by john3232; 12-27-2015 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
I have sister in San Antonio TX area who took SS early--at 62 when she stopped teaching at Catholic girls' school--no pension with them--and beside SS which was reduced amount, she also has rental income (not in your range) from properties she owns in SA...
She went on ACA insurance and was eligible for a subsidy because of her low income
I don't know how her income was actually computed though--
But know that she had difficult time doing her taxes and couldn't believe she got the subsidy as refund on her tax filing...

Didn't mean to come across as rude--but there are so many nuances with ACA some of which have not come into play--that your situation seemed too complex for most people at address accurately

Old 12-27-2015, 11:30 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No, and I`ll ask my accountant in Feb. about this.

However, in the meantime if anyone has a general idea of how modified adjusted gross income would be applied to the situation I mentioned in opening post that would be great. This hasn`t been an issue because I`ve been living abroad but I plan to return to the States next year.

My overseas income is under the foreign exclusion amount so that`s straight forward and my adjusted gross income earned in the States (rental property) has been reduced to zero after expenses/deductions.

However, after moving back I would like to join Obamacare which is based on income (among other things)

I have a gross rental property income of some $130,000 but as I mentioned when you factor in the deductions/expenses my adjusted gross income is $0

But if I understand correct Obamacare is based on modified adjusted gross income which means I must add back the $130,000 net income which the adjusted gross income has at $0.

I won`t be working in the States except to manage my properties. I understand I get a $25,000 deduction for managing the homes but that all I seem to find.

Again I`ll speak with my accountant but in the meantime anyone who can provide a basic idea of how modified adjusted gross incomes works in connection with invest property deductions (outside of the $25 grand for managing) that would be great.
I think they go strictly by the tax form. My sister has rental income but no job at times and she got subsidy. Like last year she only paid $90 a month, she is over 60. So that's a bargain.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:58 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
The foreign earned income exclusion gets added back for the Obamacare modified adjusted gross income calculation.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 PM

I think it goes by the year before. I've looked into this for my kid. So if you are looking for subsidy on 2016, it's your 2015 tax income.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:09 PM

Yes, I know about the foreign earned income exclusion getting tossed back but that`s only for a year.

It`s my rental income I`m worried about.

From what I read my adjusted gross income might be zero but when it is modified (and from what I have read) my gross rental gross gets tossed back in.

I keep thinking I`m missing something because that doesn`t sound right. When my adjusted gross rental income is modified my entire gross income is then put back?

And the only deduction allowed is the $25,000 for managing the properties?

This doesn`t sound right.

Again I`ll have to run this by my accountant. However, if anyone can tell me what other rental property deductions I might qualify for outside of the 25 grand for managing the homes that would be great.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:21 PM

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF12039.html

$25k if your income is less than $100k otherwise it's $12.5k.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:24 PM

888 posts, read 890,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I currently live aboard, earn $88,000 a year and pay taxes where I reside. The $88,000 is under foreign exclusion limit so I don`t pay US taxes on this amount.

I also gross some $130,000 in rental income in the US. However, my mortgages, losses from previous years and yearly expenses reduce my adjusted gross income to zero.

2016 I will be returning to the US to manage my rental property. Rental income will be my sole income. My adjusted gross income for 2016 will likely be zero again as losses from previous years, deprecation, expenses etc will reduce the net earnings.

Now.....I will be joining the national health care plan and not sure of my modified adjusted gross income.

Do I need to add back in all the rental income making my modified adjusted gross income $130,000 a year as opposed to an adjusted gross income of $0?

Is the $25,000 deduction I get for managing the properties the only write off I can declare or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.
Your modified adjusted gross income for the Obamacare credit begins with your adjusted gross income and makes a few adjustments. Your adjusted gross income includes the amount reported for net rental income or loss as the case may be. So your modified adjusted gross income is not your gross income of the $130,000 you provide. You're accountant can explain better because he/she knows your situation. Give him/her a call rather than seek your answer here. You deserve it. It's a quick answer for someone familiar with your situation and you may not even be charged for a quick answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance