Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 09:10 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,989,029 times

Advertisements

It's offensive to me and to many other people who pay the debts that they incur, and who are often owed money by people who are looking for ways out of paying their debt, that anyone asking about a way out of paying a legally incurred debt is treated like some sort of poor mistreated orphan child who must be rescued from the ravages of the evil money hungry scum that want the debts owed to them to be paid.

You borrow money for some reason, you are expected to pay it back. Why is that such a difficult thing to understand? If I lend you money, or sell you something on credit, which amounts to the same thing, why do you think your future financial status should alter the debt you are obligated to pay? It's not my concern that your boss fired you, it's not my concern that your TV broke so you had to go buy a new one and no longer have the money to pay me, it's not my concern in any way shape or form that you somehow find yourself unable to pay me. I operate a legal business. I expect to get paid for the business I conduct. You promised to pay me. Now where's my money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 09:11 AM

823 posts, read 2,222,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Pay the debt you incurred & go on with your life.
That is terrible advice! Don't just pay because they ask you to. Make them prove it. Request a validation of the debt that shows that the collection agency actually owns the debt and that they are licensed to collect debts in your state. Don't just take their word for it, get it in writing. If it is legit you will have to pay back what you owe including fees and penalties but don't just pay them because they are asking.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
That is terrible advice! Don't just pay because they ask you to. Make them prove it. Request a validation of the debt that shows that the collection agency actually owns the debt and that they are licensed to collect debts in your state. Don't just take their word for it, get it in writing. If it is legit you will have to pay back what you owe including fees and penalties but don't just pay them because they are asking.
She acknowledged incurring the debt. There's nothing to prove. There doesn't appear to be any question as to the validity of the collection company's claim. She said she incurred the debt & couldn't pay it because she was out of work. There's nothing to be proved. She has some objection to paying the associated fees fronm the collection company. It's all her debt. Telling someone to Pay ones debt is NEVER terrible advice.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:38 AM

823 posts, read 2,222,139 times
Quote:
She acknowledged incurring the debt. There's nothing to prove. There doesn't appear to be any question as to the validity of the collection company's claim. She said she incurred the debt & couldn't pay it because she was out of work. There's nothing to be proved. She has some objection to paying the associated fees fronm the collection company. It's all her debt. Telling someone to Pay ones debt is NEVER terrible advice.
Just because the debt is real does not mean this particular collection agency has the right to attempt to collect it. If it doesn't and you pay anyway then the original creditor or another collection agency can come along and attempt to get the debt at a later time and you end up paying twice. Even if they did buy the debt legally it doesn't mean they have the right to collect debts in your state. Collection agencies prey on the fact that people will do what you say and "just pay it". If they want the money they will do the work to show you that they deserve it. I don't just pay any bill that comes in my mailbox. I scrutinize all of my bills to make sure they are accurate. This is no different. Make them prove it. If they want the money and are legally entitled to it they will. If they refuse then you don't pay them. It is that simple.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
Just because the debt is real does not mean this particular collection agency has the right to attempt to collect it. If it doesn't and you pay anyway then the original creditor or another collection agency can come along and attempt to get the debt at a later time and you end up paying twice. Even if they did buy the debt legally it doesn't mean they have the right to collect debts in your state. Collection agencies prey on the fact that people will do what you say and "just pay it". If they want the money they will do the work to show you that they deserve it. I don't just pay any bill that comes in my mailbox. I scrutinize all of my bills to make sure they are accurate. This is no different. Make them prove it. If they want the money and are legally entitled to it they will. If they refuse then you don't pay them. It is that simple.
That's fine, petey. But it's changing the subject. She didn't come here disputing the claim. I assumed she verified that they are indeed collecting legitamately a debt she owed. Your concern over being sure it's the right agency is valid, but not germaine to this post, as she doesn't appear to doubt the legitimacy of the debt or the collector. She's looking for a way out of the debt.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 26,824 times
Default Bill Keegan and PeteyNice

Bill Keegan, apparently you can not read or lack proficiency in the area comprehension. I did not say that I was looking for a way out of paying the debt. "Since I am "NOW" in the position to pay the debt, I don't mind paying it." is what I stated. "A way out of her debt" are your words. And thank you PeteyNice for the advice. I will make sure that the collection agency has rights to the debt and will proceed from there. Advice like yours is why I came to this forum.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luroni View Post
Bill Keegan, apparently you can not read or lack proficiency in the area comprehension. I did not say that I was looking for a way out of paying the debt. "Since I am "NOW" in the position to pay the debt, I don't mind paying it." is what I stated. "A way out of her debt" are your words. And thank you PeteyNice for the advice. I will make sure that the collection agency has rights to the debt and will proceed from there. Advice like yours is why I came to this forum.
I can both read & comprehend the written word quite well. Since you lack an understanding of some of the words you use, let me educate you. The fees you don't want to pay so the bank can make a profit are indeed part of your legally incurred debt. You didn't pay the first debt when you agreed to pay it, so additional fees, interests, penalties & charges were added to that original debt. The debt is still yours, and you have said that you do not want to pay it.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:23 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,597,549 times
Quote:
It's offensive to me and to many other people who pay the debts that they incur . . . .
Anymore it seems everyone is offended by someone or something. Almost always by those who have nothing to do with them. As in this case. Can I nominate you for membership in POOP? (People offended by offended people?)

still goiing . . .

Quote:
and who are often owed money by people who are looking for ways out of paying their debt, that anyone asking about a way out of paying a legally incurred debt is treated like some sort of poor mistreated orphan child who must be rescued from the ravages of the evil money hungry scum that want the debts owed to them to be paid.

You borrow money for some reason, you are expected to pay it back. Why is that such a difficult thing to understand? If I lend you money, or sell you something on credit, which amounts to the same thing, why do you think your future financial status should alter the debt you are obligated to pay? It's not my concern that your boss fired you, it's not my concern that your TV broke so you had to go buy a new one and no longer have the money to pay me, it's not my concern in any way shape or form that you somehow find yourself unable to pay me. I operate a legal business. I expect to get paid for the business I conduct. You promised to pay me. Now where's my money?
Seriously Bill, I have to collect money in my business, too. Usually $10,000 to $100,000 lumps from businesses or agencies just being dumb, cheap or lazy. Includes liens, lawsuits, the works. I always collect because I have provided a high quality requested service or product and have my ducks in a row. Those collections are why I have this knowledge.

But THAT is not what we are talking about in this or other threads like this. These folks are dealing with intentional predatory consumer credit scum. Crazy high interest, late fees, over limit fees from the add on charges themselves, on and on.

Do you do anything like in your collections? I do not. In fact if I did, it would put the legit claims at risk. The reason the credit scum do this -- the charges, fees and high interest are the actual "product" they are foisting on the targeted "customer." These are not good faith business people attempting to do good and honest business. If no one ever "re-paid" these scum, let alone overpaid them, as this is played, they would go broke and we would be rid of them, and all better for it.

Last edited by Philip T; 02-13-2008 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But THAT is not what we are talking about in this or other threads like this. These folks are dealing with intentional predatory consumer credit scum. Crazy high interest, late fees, over limit fees from the add on charges themselves, on and on.

Do you anything like in your collections? I do not. In fact if I did, it would put the legit claims at risk. The reason the credit scum do this -- the charges, fees and high interest are the actual "product" they are foisting on the targeted "customer." These are not good faith business people attempting to do good and honest business. If no one ever "re-paid" these scum, let alone overpaid them, as the is played, they would go broke and we would be rid of them, and all better for it.
Why is the assumption made that the people trying to collect the debt are scum of any kind? The OP incurred a debt that she acknowledges incurring. The company tried to collect it through the usual means, and failed, because she was without a job. That's not the fault of the indebted company, even if they are a bank. So they added late fees, and attempted again. Again they were denied. Eventually, they had to send it to a collection company. The collection company is now attempting to collect. It's still a legally incurred debt. Whay are any of the people attempting to collect it considered bad in any way shape or form? Why are they anything other than good faith business people attempting to do the good & honest business they are hired to do? We don't like the sellers of consumer debt? OK, throw away the credit cards, don't buy anything on credit, pay cash for everything. Poof, lenders are out of business. We don't like debt collectors? OK. You know how else we can make debt collectors go out of business? PAY OUR DEBTS BEFORE THEY HAVE TO BE SENT FOR COLLECTION!

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 02-13-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 PM

739 posts, read 836,480 times
It's not condesending jackassery to pay what you owe. It's your debt, you incurred it, now put on your big girl shorts and deal with it. Nobody gives a rip if you don't like the fees and just want to pay what you charged. Stop whining and take some responsibility for your life and your actions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance