Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:32 PM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Really?

Everyone I know is forced to be in a defined benefit plan in this country. It's a lousy one too. I wish I could opt out.
Less than 10% of private sector workers in the US have pensions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
I wonder why some think most everyone else is too dumb to grasp a concept? I know what my net worth is and I don't presume to think many others don't also know about theirs. It isn't complicated.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:36 PM

106,578 posts, read 108,713,667 times
the point is there are billions out there in all kinds of products today that are not easily counted as wealth.

if i had no kids i would take all my money ,buy a bunch of annuities with a 7% withdrawal rate today and live happily ever after . i would keep a small amount of dough in an emergency fund and i would be one of those folks with hardly any savings at all but i would be drawing 200k a year in income living a royal lifestyle.

anytime we try to count other peoples money we are usually wrong..

Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
In the first half of 2013, more than $85 billion in annuity product transactions were processed by DTCC’s National Securities Clearing Corporation (NSCC) subsidiary for:
112 insurance company participants (representing 43 parent/holding companies)
128 distributors
3,236 annuity products.

there are huge amounts in annuity products today . many mom and pops gave up equities after 2008 forever. with more and more strategys today utilizing annuity products in combo with your own investing the market is growing like mad.
Meh. This says nothing as to the median value of those annuities. And Most of those 'strategies' end up benefiting financial institutions and their sales staffs, not the typical American investor, who is in way over his/her head.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Less than 10% of private sector workers in the US have pensions.
That'd be nice. Unfortunately almost all of the private sector workers in the US are required to have a pension.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That'd be nice. Unfortunately 99.9% of the private sector workers in the US are required to have a pension.
Give it a rest. Social security is not a pension, and most people are far better off for having it, very likely you included.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Meh. This says nothing as to the median value of those annuities. And Most of those 'strategies' end up benefiting financial institutions and their sales staffs, not the typical American investor, who is in way over his/her head.
there is nooooooo value on insurance products. i wouldn't even guess.

but besides that how many people do you know were ever surveyed about their finances. i know zero.the biggest is a supplementary census done with a small sampling of folks. there is just to much variation they way they do it so thinly.

i know one person on city data who got it once and he threw it out.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is nooooooo value on insurance products. i wouldn't even guess.

but besides that how many people do you know were ever surveyed about their finances. i know zero.the biggest is a supplementary census done with a small sampling of folks. there is just to much variation they way they do it so thinly.

i know one person on city data who got it once and he threw it out.
These guys get there data from somewhere, and they seem to be pretty much in agreement for the most part.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:45 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Here is a set of links that compare the net worth of the average Canadian family with the average American families net worth.

Canadian family net worth in 2013.

Canadians getting richer, average net worth tops $400,000 - The Globe and Mail

Average American family net worth .

Americans Have Relatively Poor Net Wealth - NASDAQ.com

Jim B.

Toronto.
I personally would like to exclude homes from net worth. Canadians over the last 10 years have benefitted from a dangerous housing bubble forming, and an overvaluation of the Canadian dollar.

A lot of people's net worth is tied up in their homes, and isn't a good measure.

Most of the Western countries are extremely liquid-asset poor in this day and age. The high income couple with a $200,000 annual salary typically has a mortgaged house, financed luxury car, some credit card debt, and 100% of their equities in their 401k. This is about as liquid asset poor as a person can get.

When the market crashes, this same couple will b**ch about the congressional politics surrounding it.

Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
These guys get there data from somewhere, and they seem to be pretty much in agreement for the most part.
it is from the financial census they do with every census but it is a seperate very thinly taken survey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance