Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,540 times

Advertisements

I cosigned a private student loan for my daughter and I just found out that she has defaulted on the loan and she said she is not going to pay on them.Now,they are expecting me to pay the entire amount. What rights do I have and will they make her responsible for the debt,or does all fall on my shoulders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 04:45 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,892,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibificus View Post
I cosigned a private student loan for my daughter and I just found out that she has defaulted on the loan and she said she is not going to pay on them.Now,they are expecting me to pay the entire amount. What rights do I have and will they make her responsible for the debt,or does all fall on my shoulders?
Hate to be this guy but this is really the wrong forum for this.

Back out to city data forum and try one of the financial forums or the college and university forum and you should get a lot of replies. If you need help getting to them PM me and I can help you.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:44 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,256,837 times
I dont have firsthand knowledge of student loans. But I believe you are jointly liable for the loan as you consigned ... So if you don't make the payments, both you and your daughter will have your credit affected, if it hasn't been already and your wages could be garnished if payments aren't made.

I don't know of an easy way out of the debt (dont ever cosign on a loan btw) But you should contact the lender to discuss your options for a payment plan, fees, etc. Also talk with your daughter about paying something towards the loan. She should have told you before she let the loan default.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:56 PM

24 posts, read 54,498 times
They always want a co-signer for a reason...and this is it. Students can't be trusted to pay things back because they don't have credit yet, whereas parents do. Most parents trust their kids but ended up regretting it when they don't finish school and can't pay for the money that was loaned out. Your daughter should have told you it was defaulting...she should have also made the payments...sorry. I think you can take it up in court, but not much else you can do.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:37 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,237,981 times
I have to agree with the previous posters. Being a co-signer is basically guaranteeing the loan. If the primary debtor defaults then the lender can turn to the co-signer for full recourse.

I think - but I am not completely sure - that you would end up with a claim against your daughter for the amount of the loan. Of course whether or not a parent elects to pursue such a claim will vary quite a bit on the individual circumstances. But that is the only potental legal remedy that may be available of which I am aware. I understand student loans are very difficult to get out of through bankruptcy.

You can try to work with the lender to set a payment schedule you may be able to make. Hopefully if you do start oaying your daughter will at least contribute and not leave you with the entire burden.

Last edited by CrowGirl; 09-02-2013 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: fix typos

Old 09-02-2013, 09:48 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,189,055 times
As others have mentioned, this student loan is just as much your loan as it is your daughters. Your daughter is just as much a cosigner as you are.

The best right you have in your favor is to cut your daughter off and pay off the loan (if you care about your credit) or be a deadbeat (if you don't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance