Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 08:13 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,038,135 times

Advertisements

I have a job with an employer that pays me direct deposit to my bank.

Is it possible to get paid in cash? If I just withdrew the money I think it would exceed the 5K limit though.

Has anyone done this or know if this is possible? What do you do if you don't want money in the banks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 08:54 AM

1,884 posts, read 2,854,774 times
you can withdraw any amount of money anytime just make sure you let them know ahead of time

Old 07-06-2013, 08:59 AM

34,287 posts, read 83,838,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
I have a job with an employer that (transfers my net W2 income by) direct deposit to my bank.
Is it possible to get paid in cash?
From this employer? Not very likely.
Most employers had stopped using cash for payrolls by 1950.

Quote:
If I just withdrew the money I think it would exceed the 5K limit though.
So what? It's your money.

Quote:
What do you do if you don't want money in the banks
Move to Bolivia.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:32 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,038,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So what? It's your money.
But would it be illegal because it exceeds 5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Move to Bolivia.
Why would I need to move to Bolivia? I would just keep the money in a safe place outside of a bank.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:37 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,798,043 times
There is nothing illegal about withdrawing more than $5,000. There isn't even anything illegal about withdrawing $10,000.

You perhaps could be doing something illegal with the cash, which you might get caught because you're withdrawing a lot of cash, but what would be illegal is that which what you're doing with the cash, not the withdrawing of the cash itself.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:41 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,153,653 times
There is No 'limit' to how much cash you can take out of the bank.

The banks report on Deposits of $5K Cash or more. The bank files (electronically) a form with the US treasury all Cash Transaction over $5K. ( If you don't have a cash exemption on file). Its mainly to monitor drug , Cash biz's etc. It you money, at worst you might get a letter from US Treas, asking you for documentation on how you got 5K in cash.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:56 AM

7,567 posts, read 13,848,399 times
Question 5K Limit ???

Quote:

Is it possible to get paid in cash? If I just withdrew the money I think it would exceed the 5K limit though.

Has anyone done this or know if this is possible? What do you do if you don't want money in the banks
What 5K limit ??
Can you provide a link to your bank's website that explains this "5K limit" on withdrawals ??

BTW, it could be worse. They could be paying you with a rechargeable debit card that has lots of fees attached to getting your money.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/bu...ted=1&_r=2&hp&

Old 07-06-2013, 11:50 AM

11,217 posts, read 16,166,606 times
Quote:
If I just withdrew the money I think it would exceed the 5K limit though.
Quote:
But would it be illegal because it exceeds 5K
Where are you coming up with this idea that there is some sort of legal limit to how much money you can withdraw from a bank account?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:03 PM

15,660 posts, read 26,481,422 times
There is often an bank self imposed limit on how much you can withdraw in cash because the bank has to keep funds on hand for everyone and there are limits to what they have one hand.... so if you want to take out more than 5K you need to contact your bank a few days in advance so they can order the money to have it for you.

I can remember one small branch I worked for -- their whole branch limit was 15K -- and we usually kept far less than that, because it included our ATM which had 10K in it. If you had walked in and asked us for 5K, we simply wouldn't have had it.

And to the OP -- no -- your employer won't want to pay you in cash -- too much a liability.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM

14,016 posts, read 21,023,903 times
Quote:
....... What do you do if you don't want money in the banks?
Why would you not want money in the banks? Do you mean to say that you wouldn't mind the inconvenience and extra wasted time of standing in line at the post office to get a money order every time you have a bill to pay? How would you propose to pay your rent or mortgage? Your various insurance premiums? Your property taxes if you are a homeowner? Your federal and state income taxes in case you do not have a refund coming? Your utility bills? Well, you can stand in line to get a money order or you can be part the modern world and do it the easy way. Don't tell me you are against indoor plumbing too?

It is highly unlikely that your employer will be willing to go to the extra trouble and hassle of providing you with a cash payment when they already have their payroll system set up. Direct deposit is safe, secure, and efficient. You should be grateful to your employer for providing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance