Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

I have been researching this topic quite extensively, because I would like to know what would be the mathematically correct way to best pay off debt to avoid paying the most interest over the long run. Currently, I have two student loans, as follows:
  • $10,000 @ 5.5% @ 17 years remaining
  • $6,000 @ 6.8% @ 7 years remaining
Which loan should be paid off first, so that I am left with having paid the least interest expense in the long run?

According to financial experts, two methods are offered. First, the Debt Snowball method, which advocates paying off the debt with the lowest balance first. I can see the benefit to this, in that the sooner this debt is paid off, the sooner you can start saving more money to apply toward the next debt. But, I don't believe that this is necessarily going to leave you with more cash in your bank in the long run.

The second method is the Highest Interest Rate method. This is where the loan with the highest interest rate should be paid off first. However, this is only true if the principal and/or remaining time on the loan are about equal.

Now, I spent much time thinking over this issue, and came to the conclusion that both of these methods are flawed. I actually believe that the best way to pay off debt would be to first pay off the loan that has the shortest remaining term. The period to pay off debt is essentially a long term deadline that you have. Why not pay off the loan with the shortest term first? Like this you have a much bigger shot at preventing yourself from making continuous interest payments, regardless of the interest rate. Then, once this loan is paid off, tackle the next loan that's due, and once again, attempt to pay it off early and prevent yourself from paying more interest over the years?

In my situation, I would choose to pay off the second loan first, because it is only a 7-year term versus 17 years with the first loan. Like this, the sooner I pay it off, I can have it paid off several years early, for sure. Then, target the 17-year loan, and I will most likely have it paid off in half the term allowed for payoff.

Does my Shortest Term method make financial sense? I understand that given my two loans, it's a no brainer that the second one should be paid off first, because it is the highest interest rate and the shortest term. But, I am interested in hearing what others have to say.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 09:52 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I would also pay off the $6,000 loan first, for these reasons:

1. Smaller balance= faster to pay off
2. Higher interest rate= will pay less interest than scheduled by paying off faster

Old 01-22-2011, 12:31 PM

229 posts, read 573,800 times
I agree. Then, when you've paid off the one, apply the payments you now don't have and pay off the 2nd early. You've already lived without that money and even tho it is a pain, you'll be amazed at how fast you can get it paid off.

Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Which loan should be paid off first, so that I am left with having paid the least interest expense in the long run?
Over 17 years, the $10,000 loan will cost about $5400 in interest.
Over 7 years, the $6,000 loan will cost about $1500 in interest.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
It reminds me of the girl a few cubes over. She has decided that she needs to lost 40 pounds this year. For the past month, she has been evaluating which diet plan to go on as to which will be quicker, which is easier and the like.

Just do it.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 28,021 times
The only method that really makes sense is to tackle the highest interest rate first.

For the scenario you presented, all 3 methods you pose lead to the same conclusion:

Highest Interest: 6.8% (Choose this if you want to pay the least interest pay off all loans fastest)
Lowest Balance: $6,000 (If you need an emotional "win")
Shortest Duration: 7 years (If you want to experiment with your new method)

Like others have said, the most important thing to do is to start paying.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,647,602 times
You have to do the math, sometimes the shoot from the hip answer isn't mathematically the best.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:15 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boch View Post
The only method that really makes sense is to tackle the highest interest rate first.

For the scenario you presented, all 3 methods you pose lead to the same conclusion:

Highest Interest: 6.8% (Choose this if you want to pay the least interest pay off all loans fastest)
Lowest Balance: $6,000 (If you need an emotional "win")
Shortest Duration: 7 years (If you want to experiment with your new method)

Like others have said, the most important thing to do is to start paying.
This is what I was thinking. I got into debt after college and started snowball payments of my highest interest card. Once I paid off my car the cards were down in 3 years.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
The snowball method works best when you have several loans with small balances, not as well when you have two medium sized loans.

As for the "shortest term vs longer term", if the loan charges interest depending on the current principal balance, like house loans, car loans, or student loans and credit card loans (in other words, most loans), you are better off making extra payments as early in the process as you can.

For example, on a 30 year $100k mortgage, paying $100 extra a month in year 1 would take almost a year off the loan and save you about $5000 in interest. However, paying $100 extra a month in year 30 takes about a month and a half off and saves you about $30.

Therefore, the longer loan is the better one to make the payment on, all other things being equal.

In your case, however, with the smaller loan also being the higher interest rate, I would pay that one off first.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,024,391 times
Dave Ramsey says to always pay the smaller debts off first and work your way up to the bigger ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance