Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:53 PM

38 posts, read 61,457 times

Advertisements

How much should you be saving after all expenses, max retirement savings, etc. each year? What percentage of your net income would it be?

EDIT: I've read personal/discretionary savings should be 5-10%. The problem is if you don't have a goal, your savings account for emergencies/discretionary won't go up. If one could budget this amount depending on their goal, you could figure out how much you can really afford on a house and not that generic 36% figure for debt to income ratio for what one "could" afford for a house.

I think this is why people get into trouble with too much debt or living paycheck to paycheck. One should work backwards to figure out what they can really afford with proper savings in place, expenses, and retirement.

Last edited by bambooi; 02-24-2013 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,277,879 times
Not an easy answer to this. It varies too much.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM

38 posts, read 61,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
Not an easy answer to this. It varies too much.
True I guess it would depend on ones goals. I've read personal/discretionary savings should be 5-10%. The problem is if you don't have a goal, you savings account for emergencies/discretionary won't go up. If one could budget this amount depending on their goal, you could figure out how much you can really afford on a house and not that generic 36% figure for debt to income ratio for a max house purchase.

I think this is why people get into trouble with too much debt or living paycheck to paycheck. One should work backwards to figure out what they can really afford with proper savings in place, expenses, and retirement.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
"How much should one save after all expenses?"

DH and I consider all our savings/investments to be an expense.
What is left over is for discretionary spending....

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooi View Post
How much should one save after all expenses?
You have it backwards.
The Q is: How much should one save BEFORE all expenses?

It starts at 10% of PRE tax gross.
Once you're used to that hit... up it to 20% or even 30%.
iow... Do you earn $100K? Live like you earn $70K

What you do with that pool of cash is a whole other set of discussions.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
As you can see, there are many different ways of looking at it, but I think they boil down to a specific order: Paying for the basic essentials of life is presumed. That's clearly the first thing you spend income on when you have income, followed shortly by those things (especially debts) that you'd otherwise be forced to pay or in some other way would affect your ability to live your life if you were sanctioned for not paying. Then you work your way up from there, in priority order, through those debts for which if you don't pay them will have the greatest negative impact on future resource (i.e., highest interest rates), weaving in at this point those expenses that provide for greater efficiency and greater profit in your life (i.e., education typically falls into this category, to a certain level).

I suspect, though, that you may be asking the question about how much of how much you could save should you save, in some way as a matter of rationalizing the decision to spend money in a discretionary manner. It's the whole "ya gotta live!" argument. And there is merit in it. However, it really comes down to how much you're willing to set aside your reasonable and responsible concern about your future. I say that because some indications are that the future is going to be a lot tougher than the past has been - that the time our society has had (to exploit the resources of other nations and to borrow from the future, instead of paying the bills we incur in the time we incur them) is over. Even today, still riding a bit of the wave of exploitation and borrowing from the future, there are folks who have been saving 10%-15% a year for their entire careers who are encountering the fact that they simply don't have enough to retire.

I don't mean to scare you, but I'm scared by the answer to your question, and so there's really no way to answer your question without being scary.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:01 AM

22,639 posts, read 47,797,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
there are folks who have been saving 10%-15% a year for their entire careers who are encountering the fact that they simply don't have enough to retire.
I find that hard to believe...
can you cite a credible source?

Consistently saving 10-15% for 35-50 years HAS to put one is a good position, I would think!

Old 02-25-2013, 09:21 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,856,708 times
Hi all--

Save all you can and make all you can, so you can give all you can.

If you are perfectly happy living on $25,000 a year (such as if you're single with little debt), then do it - even if you make $100,000 a year.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,725,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I find that hard to believe... can you cite a credible source? Consistently saving 10-15% for 35... years HAS to put one is a good position, I would think!
You mean "hope". The issue is generally a matter of investing those savings too conservatively or too aggressively. I'll keep my eye open for the examples I'm alluding to and post links here when I encounter such articles again.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,437,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I find that hard to believe...
can you cite a credible source?

Consistently saving 10-15% for 35-50 years HAS to put one is a good position, I would think!
i'm with you. unless someone made mistakes with those savings, 10-15% in savings per year for 30+ years sets you up fairly well. run the numbers, you'd really have to squander it to hurt yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance