Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,174,765 times

Advertisements

I'm saving about 15% pretax to a 401k usually, and I say usually because I want to buy a house the next couple of years so I'm considering bumping it to 10% or so.

I save about 10-20% post expenses. I'm hoping to make this higher because I just paid off a chunk of student loan debt outright. I'm only 23 so hopefully time is still on my side.

I already have a 6 month cushion.

I'm doing what I see as basic financial guidelines.
-Save at least 10-15% to retirement, more is better
-Save at least 10% of your paycheck after expenses, more is better
-Avoid any interest bearing debts
-Have at least a six month cushion

I know some may say I need more, and I will as I can. I have a heart condition and another issue that needs yearly (if not more) monitoring which can be pricey depending on which way the wind is blowing. I did manage to pay off this student debt though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,458,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Not quite. If the saver visits a (ahem!) financial advisor who helps themselves to a 2-4% upfront sales charge (not uncommon), places the saver in investments with expense ratios of 1% or greater with medium to high turnover, the saver could wind up shelling out more than 1/2 their hard-earned savings in the form of upfront taxes, sales commissions and fees, the remainder of the money goes to work for them but then asset allocation will determine if they get "lucky" or "fall down".

If a saver places their money in low-yielding (read: safe) investments, while inflation is moderate to high and other investments are yielding the safe return plus inflation risk premium - the saver will be left behind. A well-balanced, low-cost and diversified plan will usually beat the pants off of the "safe assets". The assets are safe for a reason - there is no risk, you know the saying "no risk equals no reward". Be an owner first, lender second, borrower last resort.

In other words, it's not so simple to say just save "x%", the magic formula is dependent on consistent and increasing savings amounts, location (tax-deferred or tax-free is preferable) and asset allocation based on risk tolerance. You can select a 100% equity investment plan, but if at the first sign of a decline in the market you run, then all your planning is for naught - you want to be buying when people are selling (buy low), sell when people are buying (sell high). If you can't stay the course, then you have the wrong plan.
tax deferred isn't always preferable. it does make sense for some of your long term savings to pay taxes now, if possible (like a ROTH IRA/401k) to diversify your portfolio of investments. yes, some financial advisors are expensive, some are not. yes, some funds have high expense rations.

yes, there's no magic number, but i stand by my statement. if you're saving 10-15% of your income, and not making mistakes (like paying 4% to a financial advisor!), you'll be set up fairly well.

all your reply is saying is not to make certain mistakes...i agree. and yes, stay the course, which is why i said "for 30 years"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance