Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 10:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Speaking from my own experience, Yes. Mine is over 800, and I have had nothing but credit card debts in the past 25 years. With, of course, the unavoidable medical bills, utility bills, etc. In other words, no car financing or house purchase or retail charge accounts or personal loans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,621,938 times
Cool.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM

1,411 posts, read 1,001,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
There IS a formula... it is the link above!
There is a formula but that's not the exact one. I visit that website all the time. They even tell you that this is what they believe it to be or close to it. The reason is, only the creator of the formula knows exactly how it works. If the consumers knew then they would know how to manipulate the system. Also, different agencies use different formulas. Transunion uses a few different ones just by them selves. Also, it's a algorithm not just simple formula. It is very very complicated. There are so many varibles. It's not as simple as the link makes it out to be.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM

You have 49 FICO credit scores - Aug. 28, 2012

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
My son has one credit card and a score of 800 even as of a few weeks ago. His financial situation has been exactly the same for five years.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
The my FICO site tells you what they take into account....

FICO Credit Score Chart: How credit scores are calculated

But note this:
"For particular groups—for example, people who have not been using credit long—the relative importance of these categories may be different."
It tells you what they take into account, and how they are weighted; that's pretty common knowledge. But from experience I know that it doesn't seem to be applied the same every time. As I said, I've seen people come with an 800+ credit score who, according to the pie chart, should be at no more than a 765 due to a lack of diversity. And not just those with a short credit history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proverbs23and7 View Post
From what I understand there is not an exact formula to conclude a credit score. A lot of lenders are looking at more than just score to make a decision.
Local lenders tend to look more at issues like the size of your down payment and your references. National lenders are mostly by the numbers. And more and more are using bureau scores (FAKOS) these days rather than the true FICO.

Quote:
There IS a formula... it is the link above!
I don't see a formula, only the pie chart. And while it tells, for instance, that 35% of the score is based on the payment history, the information in the link is very vague about what goes into determining how much of that 35% you're going to get. In other words, sure a perfect history should get you the whole enchilada - in other words, 297.5 points, or 35% of 850 - but it doesn't say how much a late payment (or two, or three, or 50) affects things.

If there is a true calculation there that I'm missing, please post a direct link. I'd love to see it.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:35 AM

132 posts, read 315,242 times
Default 780 to get the best rates

Actually now there is a movement towards of minimum score of 780 to get the best mortgage rates. That minimum score keeps creaping up year after year.

Want a Mortgage? Is Your FICO Credit Score 780? - CBS News

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
thought 720-740 was need for best mortgage rates.

number of accounts open, average length they have been open seem to play a part if you only have credit cards.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It tells you what they take into account, and how they are weighted; that's pretty common knowledge. But from experience I know that it doesn't seem to be applied the same every time. As I said, I've seen people come with an 800+ credit score who, according to the pie chart, should be at no more than a 765 due to a lack of diversity. And not just those with a short credit history.

Local lenders tend to look more at issues like the size of your down payment and your references. National lenders are mostly by the numbers. And more and more are using bureau scores (FAKOS) these days rather than the true FICO.

I don't see a formula, only the pie chart. And while it tells, for instance, that 35% of the score is based on the payment history, the information in the link is very vague about what goes into determining how much of that 35% you're going to get. In other words, sure a perfect history should get you the whole enchilada - in other words, 297.5 points, or 35% of 850 - but it doesn't say how much a late payment (or two, or three, or 50) affects things.

If there is a true calculation there that I'm missing, please post a direct link. I'd love to see it.
Only FICO knows the true calculation. I've heard from people in the finance buisness that FICO won't even tell them how they come up with the score and they are buying the service from FICO.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:37 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,206 times
The exact algorithim is like the formula for Coca-Cola. No one knows it except the people that need to know. This is all the company(Fair Isaac Corporation) has to stay in business. They have released the contributing factors and generally how they are weighted but never the exact formula.

If you want a high score there are couple of basic rules:
Pay your bills on time
Don't overextend yourself
Don't let a medical bill or utility from a previous address get missed and go to collections

Do these things and you won't care about manipulaitng the formula as your scores will always be high.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,332 times
My credit score was 740 the last time I checked....I have 8 CCs with balances but not maxed out, 1 car payment, 2 student loans, no mortgage.

Closing accounts esp credit cards hurts your score....and DO NOT ALLOW CREDIT Inquiries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance