Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM

161 posts, read 634,165 times

Advertisements

i think it goes like this.
-they have nice teeth. poor's can't afford dentist.
- they drive a Mercedes-Benz.
- they have nice clothes such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren etc.

Anything else im missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM

357 posts, read 711,868 times
That's a simple answer I guess but I think it's more difficult than that for the average person. I'd say expensive watch, expensive shoes, quality clothes, lots of travel, fancy car, recreational vehicle like a motorcycle, has an expensive hobby (mountain climbing, sky diving, wine collecting, etc.), second home of any kind, are just a few things where you can tell people are rich. It's never just one thing...for me it's a combination of many factors of people being put together.

Nice teeth is definitely accurate. Also, quality made furniture in a modest home - one of the few things even some frugal rich will pay for is quality furniture that will last.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
- they have nice clothes such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren
etc.

No way that those are indicators of being rich!
Plenty of non-rich have nice teeth, drive Benzes and have designer clothes. or purses, or shoes.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
No way that those are indicators of being rich!
Plenty of non-rich have nice teeth, drive Benzes and have designer clothes. or purses, or shoes.
Exactly. People go into debt to have something that simple

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
- they have nice clothes such as Gucci and Ralph Lauren etc.

There is no way you can tell that someone is rich - unless they advertise the fact, show you their account balances, etc.

Even then, you can't be sure with a lot of people.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Exactly. People go into debt to have something that simple
Plenty of people have those without going into debt, too.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 PM

505 posts, read 1,664,582 times
Don't tell someone you're rich because the uneducated will think you're bragging and the smart will rob you.

While it is a good indicator, things like that can be had fairly easily. Like others have said, it's easy to get good teeth, a Benz and designer clothes on debt with an average or slightly above average income. The truly, truly rich folks seems more down to earth with what they spend and tend to use their wealth and different things like homes, yachts and things that most other people cannot get - which is the exact point of being rich. Why would you buy a $100,000 Mercedes that most people can buy? No, you'd have to go way beyond that to prove your wealth - get a limited edition one that's $600,000 and only ten made in the world.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 634,165 times
You guys act like you would see people with designer clothes with a Mercedes-Benz coming from a public housing projects. I barley see any luxury cars from a middle class nehiborhood.What do you not understand that there income is low they get everything free like food stamps and public housing that they have no extra money to spend?

Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Most people who have built their wealth from scratch are not going to be easily detected by simple street observation. Their banker may suspect as much but even he will not know for sure.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,170,667 times
I look at his wife's left hand.
The ring (s) tells all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance