Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,283,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
My cousin Rudy (who is a millionaire), for example, takes about 200 napkins when he goes to Burger King. He also takes handfuls of sugar packets and salt and pepper packets. That way, he doesn't have to buy paper towels, sugar, or salt and pepper.
Actually -- that makes your cousin Rudy a thief.

I have napkins from places, but all of them are from when we order out. They bring us a lot of napkins. I save what we don't use. I also have hot pepper seeds and parmesan cheese packets from pizza places -- but those are all the extras they brings us with our order. But I would never stuff my pockets with them and walk out. And 200 napkins is a whole bag of napkins. Pure and simple -- that's theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM

654 posts, read 946,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually -- that makes your cousin Rudy a thief.

I have napkins from places, but all of them are from when we order out. They bring us a lot of napkins. I save what we don't use. I also have hot pepper seeds and parmesan cheese packets from pizza places -- but those are all the extras they brings us with our order. But I would never stuff my pockets with them and walk out. And 200 napkins is a whole bag of napkins. Pure and simple -- that's theft.
I agree with you, it is theft. It's embarrassing to be with him when he does it, too. However, the point is, there are a lot of very well off people who are so tight with their money that they do things like that.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

592 posts, read 803,251 times
I agree that a lot of rich people are frugal but Believe it or not, there are some rich people who buy nice things because they like nice things. Buying a nice car doesn't always mean you want to impress other people.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,281,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest View Post
My cousin Rudy (who is a millionaire), for example, takes about 200 napkins when he goes to Burger King. He also takes handfuls of sugar packets and salt and pepper packets. That way, he doesn't have to buy paper towels, sugar, or salt and pepper. .
I HATE those fast food napkins, the texture and the lack of absorbency. I always throw them away and use a paper towel from home instead. My husband tries to save condiment packets we get from fast food places (he doesn't take handfuls, just what they give us), and I'm always throwing them away.

If I were rich I guarantee I would dress the same way - comfortably and inexpensively. You couldn't tell anything from my jewelry because I don't wear any, not even a wedding ring.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,237,192 times
When they compliment you on a dress you're wearing and ask you where you bought it. You say Walmart and they give you a judgey look.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:36 PM

1,257 posts, read 3,684,648 times
Although I'm new to earning and I would not classify myself as rich, I can tell you that having money changes your perspective. After you have it, many times you begin to realize that the fact that you can own a Range Rover is nearly as satisfying as actually owning one. Just an example. Many times it is those without money that have the flashiest things.

That said, there is also an awful lot of wealthy folks who certainly look the part - nothin wrong with that either.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,650,139 times
I ain't "rich", but I'm less poor than I used to be. During my last relo to a new job I rented a "scruffy apartment". The landlords needed to see that the rent was no more than 1/3 of gross...little did they know that my signing bonus alone was over 3x the annual rental cost.

I've noticed that it's MUCH different driving a cheap car/living in a cheap place (although the apartment was only for a limited duration until we bought a fairly nice house)/having cheap furniture/etc. when you CHOOSE to do so compared to when you HAVE to do so. I have friends who earn barely over the poverty line (due to stupidity/bad luck/disability/combinations of those three to varying degrees) and even when they lived in surroundings similar to mine, it wasn't nearly the same in many ways. Just knowing that your situation is temporary is a huge difference. Knowing that you have a safety cushion of assets to fall back on. All those things.

As far as telling if someone is rich...no way to do so, really. I've known rich people who were into conspicuous consumption, and rich people who were so frugal they really were "cheap". Similar thing with much poorer people. I've known really really smart people who didn't earn much, and some not-too-sharp people who did one thing really well and as a result earned a whole lot (some of whom spent high, some who didn't, and some who spent high but earned even higher). There really isn't a generic stereotype.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:08 AM

27,627 posts, read 28,723,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinipig523 View Post
That said, there is also an awful lot of wealthy folks who certainly look the part.
But it's the media that sells you the myth/fantasy that most rich people spend their money lavishly. Ratings are what they're all about.

They got to make average Americans into good little consumers.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,771,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But it's the media that sells you the myth/fantasy that most rich people spend their money lavishly. Ratings are what they're all about.

They got to make average Americans into good little consumers.
Agree. People think they can't be manipulated through words, visuals, emotions and propaganda but they are wrong. Commercials telling the guy if he buys that car he will have lots of girls is an example. Politicians saying tax the rich and your life will be better is another. It's all about manipulation. If you can see that they are using words, visuals, emotions to manipulate us then that's part of the battle.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM

295 posts, read 338,365 times
Those are all terrible ways to see if someone is rich. Try reading the millionaire next door book. It is filled with people who are wealthy yet you would not know it. I think if you assume that if someone who drives a mercedes is rich then you haven't seen the bill for their lease. I also agree with snofarmer if the person is a man typically he will spend a lot on his wifes jewelry but not on outward signs of wealth just to do it. But also a lot of times the wife has been there since the beginning and she doesn't have a big rock and they became wealthy after many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance