Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:36 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,275,434 times

Advertisements

My partner and I jointly own and home and have a shared mortgage which we pay from a joint checking account we both contribute to. We have heard that we can decide how to split the interest claim on our taxes, so we'd like for me to take ALL of it this year as I am in a higher tax bracket. I can find nothing declarative about this in IRS literature. Does anyone know what is permissible in this situation? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:53 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,178,705 times
My understanding is that yes, you can split it, but not arbitrarily. It should in reality match up to who is making the payments. For example if you are splitting the mortgage payments 50/50 the deduction should be split that way. With a joint account I guess it isn't so obvious. Check out this google search for some info:

splitting mortgage interest on tax return - Google Search

Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
My understanding is that yes, you can split it, but not arbitrarily. It should in reality match up to who is making the payments. For example if you are splitting the mortgage payments 50/50 the deduction should be split that way. With a joint account I guess it isn't so obvious. Check out this google search for some info:

splitting mortgage interest on tax return - Google Search
Yea - trust me, I have spent a lot of time with this on google. Opinions are all over the board. I am hoping for more than an opinion however. I wonder if there is anything definitive.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Yea - trust me, I have spent a lot of time with this on google. Opinions are all over the board. I am hoping for more than an opinion however. I wonder if there is anything definitive.
This seems relatively clear (as clear as IRS stuff can be) that you have to have paid the interest to get the deduction.

TaxAlmanac - A free online tax research resource and community - Treasury Regulations, Subchapter A, Sec. 1.163-1

Interest paid by the taxpayer on a mortgage upon real estate of which he is the legal or equitable owner, even though the taxpayer is not directly liable upon the bond or note secured by such mortgage, may be deducted as interest on his indebtedness.

Disclaimer: I am not a tax professional.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:35 PM

193 posts, read 541,831 times
I'm in the same situation and our CPA ran it both ways to see what would be most beneficial. I ended up claiming it all.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2005 View Post
I'm in the same situation and our CPA ran it both ways to see what would be most beneficial. I ended up claiming it all.
Thanks. Given the IRS guidance is pretty loose, we plan to do the same unless anyone on the board knows this is strictly out of line.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Thanks. Given the IRS guidance is pretty loose, we plan to do the same unless anyone on the board knows this is strictly out of line.
Are you seriously going to let the responses on this forum dictate what you do?

Good luck.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Are you seriously going to let the responses on this forum dictate what you do?

Good luck.
No. I have read quite a lot on the subject. The responses on this forum confirm my conclusions from these other sources that there are many options.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:35 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,312,901 times
In general if the IRS guidance is "loose" you do whatever benefits you the most. An example of this is if you own a small business and have a cell phone plan, that you will occasionally/sometimes use for personal calls. All guidance I've had on this issue is to deduct the full value of the plan, and that trying to parse out the proportion of the bill that is "personal" related is next to impossible. Some will say this is against the code since it requires you to parse out personal calls and not deduct them, but in the real world given how cell phone plans are billed there is no real guidance on how to do this. That is a good example of "loose" guidance and doing what is best for you.

The answer I have gotten when asking people with stronger knowledge of taxes than myself is that the key is to provide a reasonable justification and have some kind of code that supports what you are doing. The IRS may not always agree, but at worst you will owe back taxes with a small amount of interest, in the pittance chance you actually get audited. A lot of the tax code was written a long time ago and it is not always 100% clear what you should do.

However, I don't really think this issue is particularly ambiguous, it is allowed, and as long as you aren't double counting the deduction and have ownership interest in the house, it is fine.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM

39 posts, read 109,329 times
Have you tried calling the IRS and asking them? The last tax question I couldn't figure out I called them and they gave me an answer and the publication references that the answer came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance