Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,832,492 times

Advertisements

????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 01:18 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,291,575 times
I'd say pay cash. For me, knowing the debt is there (albeit interest free) would bother me a bit.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:13 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,179,144 times
I had the option to pay in full for major dental work at a 5% courtesy discount, and I took it. But I just paid off $20,000 in credit card debt this month, so I'm a little gunshy.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
I'd say pay cash. For me, knowing the debt is there (albeit interest free) would bother me a bit.
Well the thing is that I can be using the money elsewhere working for me earning more then the $194 in the next 2 years.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Good question. Unfortunately, I only have like $14 left in my FSA for this year. Moving forward, what I want to know is that if I can pay the minimum amount as no interest with my FSA for next year where the limit is $2,500.
Do you have a qualified high deductible health insurance plan where you can get a Health Savings Account? If so, I would put the money into that, then use that to pay for the surgery. For the short term it would be like a FSA and you would save money on your taxes. If you are married the surgery is under the annual contribution amount.

For under $200 in savings it wouldn't be worth it for my to finance something like that with the uncertainty of the current job market, etc. I would pay cash. Also, depending on how much you make and what your other medical expenses are this year, is there any chance of hitting the 7.5% medical deduction on your taxes?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Do you have a qualified high deductible health insurance plan where you can get a Health Savings Account? If so, I would put the money into that, then use that to pay for the surgery. For the short term it would be like a FSA and you would save money on your taxes. If you are married the surgery is under the annual contribution amount.

For under $200 in savings it wouldn't be worth it for my to finance something like that with the uncertainty of the current job market, etc. I would pay cash. Also, depending on how much you make and what your other medical expenses are this year, is there any chance of hitting the 7.5% medical deduction on your taxes?
My employer offers FSA so I may want to put the maximum amount in there. I thought with the Health Care Reform, the maximum amount was down to $2,500 for 2011? This would still save me plenty of tax money.

Well, if I were to lose my job, I still would not have any problem since I have the money to pay cash for this surgery and still have 6+ months of living expenses. I wanted to finance because I can have that extra available for stock purchase investments.

You mean if I paid atleast 7.5% in medical expenses of my salary?

Old 10-28-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
My employer offers FSA so I may want to put the maximum amount in there. I thought with the Health Care Reform, the maximum amount was down to $2,500 for 2011? This would still save me plenty of tax money.

Well, if I were to lose my job, I still would not have any problem since I have the money to pay cash for this surgery and still have 6+ months of living expenses. I wanted to finance because I can have that extra available for stock purchase investments.

You mean if I paid atleast 7.5% in medical expenses of my salary?
A Health Savings Account and a Flexible Spending Account are two different things. A HSA is just that, a savings account that you put money into and that money stays in there until you spend it-year to year vs a Flex Spend Account where if you don't use it by the end of the year you lose it. To get a HSA you have to have a qualified medical plan though.

The 7.5% deal is if you spend MORE THAN 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on medical expenses, not including insurance premiums (except for Long Term Care insurance premiums) the amount over 7.5% can be deducted on your taxes.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
A Health Savings Account and a Flexible Spending Account are two different things. A HSA is just that, a savings account that you put money into and that money stays in there until you spend it-year to year vs a Flex Spend Account where if you don't use it by the end of the year you lose it. To get a HSA you have to have a qualified medical plan though.

The 7.5% deal is if you spend MORE THAN 7.5% of your adjusted gross income on medical expenses, not including insurance premiums (except for Long Term Care insurance premiums) the amount over 7.5% can be deducted on your taxes.
My employer does not ofer HSA.

I don't think I will end up spending 7.5% though.

Most likely my employer will offer maximum of $5K for 2011 so I guess just pay cash for it on the card and save good money on taxes. Also get a total of 30% discount overall.

Last edited by Texas User; 10-28-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 10-28-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
My employer does not ofer HSA.

I don't I will end up spending 7.5% though.

Most likely my employer will offer maximum of $5K for 2011 so I guess just pay cash for it on the card and save good money on taxes. Also get a total of 30% discount overall.
You will only be able to take $2500 for an FSA next year per the IRS.

Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You will only be able to take $2500 for an FSA next year per the IRS.
I just checked, it kicks in 2013 for the $2,500 limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance