Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times

Advertisements

Watching the news and stock markets makes me really nervous about investments. With all the bad things happening in our banking system, housing market, fuel and food prices, and on and on, what is a safe place for cash?

I thought we would have advace warning(at least a day or 2) if our banks went under. Well that theory was blown away with the collapse of Bear Sterns.

How can we trust the banks? You can forget about the stock market or mutual funds. So what can you do to protect your cash? Even though our dollar isn't going to be worth much.

Oh, this country is in SO much trouble.

Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Everybody should worry about it because the Fed is printing up billions and billions of dollars that are not backed by anything. Either the dollar will fall to the value of almost worthless or we will soon be ravaged by inflation or stagflation. Either way, it ain't gonna be pretty.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:12 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Everybody should worry about it because the Fed is printing up billions and billions of dollars that are not backed by anything. Either the dollar will fall to the value of almost worthless or we will soon be ravaged by inflation or stagflation. Either way, it ain't gonna be pretty.

So, what do we do to protect ourselves? The gov't isn't going to be able to help. Thay are only making things worse.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 AM

281 posts, read 1,055,014 times
Good question...all of my money sits in credit unions...how do they differ in these situations?

Can we say Depression?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
So, what do we do to protect ourselves? The gov't isn't going to be able to help. Thay are only making things worse.
You can buy gold, buy bonds or buy foreign currency like the Euro or Canadian Loonie which are more stable currencies.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
Good question...all of my money sits in credit unions...how do they differ in these situations?

Can we say Depression?
They are insured by the FDIC BUT if your dollars lose 25% of their value, it does not matter how much they are insured. The problem here is the USA dollar.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Watching the news and stock markets makes me really nervous about investments. With all the bad things happening in our banking system, housing market, fuel and food prices, and on and on, what is a safe place for cash?

I thought we would have advace warning(at least a day or 2) if our banks went under. Well that theory was blown away with the collapse of Bear Sterns.

How can we trust the banks? You can forget about the stock market or mutual funds. So what can you do to protect your cash? Even though our dollar isn't going to be worth much.

Oh, this country is in SO much trouble.

Lisa
No offense to you.

Generally speaking it's people with your way of thinking thats got the market the way it is now. People don't know what to do with their money right now so they are following the wave or the next bubble if you will.

Gold and oil are at record highs right now. 3-4 months ago gold was $780/ troy ounce now it's hovering at or over $1000 /per troy ounce. I think this is next bubble as people need to put their money somewhere. This is driving the dollar down even further. Fear, fear, fear and uncertainty. People want to get rid of the greenback as fast as possible in fear of it losing value even further.

This economy is too use to getting rich over night. Thus no one is diversify b/c they are taking everything and dumping it into one particular thing. In this case it's commodities. Once the Fed stops cutting interest rates and starts raising them again the dollar will regain it's value and the commodities bubble will burst and people will lose money again. Just like in the 90's with the tech stocks and 2000's with the housing bubble.

Everything is low right now and it's all about long term. Invest in an Index not individual stocks. Or if you are up on the stock game diversify and hold. People need to ride out the storm.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:40 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,851,443 times
I'd say gold and oil are NOT where you want to put your money, you'd be buying at the peak. My portfolio has dropped quite a bit the last 3 months, but I'm not "worried". I'm 60 and no longer work, but despite all the bad stuff going on, the USA is still an economic powerhouse.

I'm well diversified, large cap, mid cap, small cap, international and cash. While I hate to think of how much has "melted away" since October I dont' think I'm smart enough to try to "time" the big market swings.

Remember '87? The big drop! Well go back and look at what the market did in the following years. Hmmm, '87 coming near the end of Reagan's second term. 2007/2008 coming near the end of Bush's second term.

Could it be that these "Republican economic miracles" aren't miracles at all? Just fancy financial footwork. "Yes, yes, we can spend ourselves rich".

golfgod

Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 AM

281 posts, read 1,055,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I'd say gold and oil are NOT where you want to put your money, you'd be buying at the peak. My portfolio has dropped quite a bit the last 3 months, but I'm not "worried". I'm 60 and no longer work, but despite all the bad stuff going on, the USA is still an economic powerhouse.

I'm well diversified, large cap, mid cap, small cap, international and cash. While I hate to think of how much has "melted away" since October I dont' think I'm smart enough to try to "time" the big market swings.

Remember '87? The big drop! Well go back and look at what the market did in the following years. Hmmm, '87 coming near the end of Reagan's second term. 2007/2008 coming near the end of Bush's second term.
BINGO....I have been scooping up mad American Stocks at bargian prices....especially solid retailers. I also put a ton in corn futures last year. Buy buy buy, but buy smart.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,070,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post

Could it be that these "Republican economic miracles" aren't miracles at all? Just fancy financial footwork. "Yes, yes, we can spend ourselves rich".

golfgod
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreditWitch View Post
BINGO....I have been scooping up mad American Stocks at bargian prices....especially solid retailers. I also put a ton in corn futures last year. Buy buy buy, but buy smart.
Too bad the media isn't focusing on these kinds of deals. It's a great time to buy real estate too for a long term hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance