Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 05:56 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,375,652 times

Advertisements

Are boroughs similar to villages in NY in terms of the borough having a tax not only for itself, but for the town(or township) it is in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,624,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are boroughs similar to villages in NY in terms of the borough having a tax not only for itself, but for the town(or township) it is in?
Don't know if its similar to New York but boroughs are not part of townships, they are a separate entity. Pennsylvania DOES have villages as well, but they are part of townships and NOT separate taxing entities.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Don't know if its similar to New York but boroughs are not part of townships, they are a separate entity. Pennsylvania DOES have villages as well, but they are part of townships and NOT separate taxing entities.
Interesting.....So boroughs are more like small cities, unlike villages here in NY or PA.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:09 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,698,086 times
Yes. Maybe this will help. Selinsgrove is a borough. Residents pay taxes to the borough, but they also pay taxes to Snyder County and the Selinsgrove school district. The borough is governed by the borough council. There is a borough police department and a post office.

I live in Kratzerville, a village in Jackson Township near Selinsgrove. I pay my taxes to Jackson Township, and Snyder County and the Selinsgrove school district. My village is governed by the Jackson Township supervisors. We have no police force (use state police when needed) or post office. My mailing address is actually Selinsgrove.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Yes. Maybe this will help. Selinsgrove is a borough. Residents pay taxes to the borough, but they also pay taxes to Snyder County and the Selinsgrove school district. The borough is governed by the borough council. There is a borough police department and a post office.

I live in Kratzerville, a village in Jackson Township near Selinsgrove. I pay my taxes to Jackson Township, and Snyder County and the Selinsgrove school district. My village is governed by the Jackson Township supervisors. We have no police force (use state police when needed) or post office. My mailing address is actually Selinsgrove.
Got it....Your second scenario is more like villages in NY State, big and small. You got me wondering if bigger villages in NY State should become boroughs and if it would actually save them money by doing so instead of people paying village and town taxes.

Say I live in the village of Liverpool, I would pay village of Liverpool taxes, town of Salina taxes, Onondaga County taxes and Liverpool SD taxes. They have a mayor, a village board and their own DPW and such. There are 2 Liverpool zip codes that go into the towns of Clay and Salina too. Village of Liverpool Home Page
Town of Salina Web Site
Onondaga County, New York
Liverpool Central School District

Or your second scenario could be more in line with communities we call "hamlets" here in NY. For instance, I grew up in a suburban "hamlet" called Onondaga Hill. My parents pay taxes to the town of Onondaga, Onondaga County and the Westhill School district. Their zip code is considered to be a Syracuse zip code. Town of Onondaga supervisors govern the town. Onondaga Hill, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Town of Onondaga, NY
Westhill School District

Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,624,149 times
Villages in PA have no form of government. They are just usually a string of houses along a road that may or may not have its own post office and zip code. Otherwise, they are just part of townships. You do not pay a separate tax for a village nor do they have any governing body.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,698,086 times
CKH, you mentioned DPW, which reminds me that here in PA taxes usually do not cover garbage disposal. You have to contract with one of the local sanitation haulers. I thought this was how it was all over, but a friend who moved here from Long Island said it was included in their taxes there. Who knew?!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
CKH, you mentioned DPW, which reminds me that here in PA taxes usually do not cover garbage disposal. You have to contract with one of the local sanitation haulers. I thought this was how it was all over, but a friend who moved here from Long Island said it was included in their taxes there. Who knew?!
Yes, that is true. It's not like the taxes we pay up here aren't going to any good services. I think people think that's the case in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania