Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your favorite mid-sized Pennsylvania City?
Allentown 0 0%
Altoona 5 5.75%
Bethlehem 8 9.20%
Erie 18 20.69%
Harrisburg 12 13.79%
Lancaster 9 10.34%
Reading 5 5.75%
Scranton 6 6.90%
State College 16 18.39%
Wilkes-Barre 5 5.75%
York 3 3.45%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,124 times

Advertisements

I would imagine that State College turns into a ghost town after PSU gets out for the summertime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Ah, a couple of polls to draw out me, the new forum user.

State College is the largest Borough in PA. I think if my (PSU grad of course) wife could move anywhere it would be to near (not in) there. If this poll is limited to the corporate limits of each named municipality I think I would have to agree. There seem to be some areas of nicer but relatively modest homes within the Borough limits and there is a network of bike paths/lanes as an alternative to traffic. The working class drives in from the surrounding towns, even Clearfield, Lock Haven, Lewistown, Huntingdon, Altoona as I understand. There seems to be a lot more spin-off business there than there is in, say, Ithaca. SC is also a lot more politically conservative than other Northeast/Midwest college towns, since of course the Blue and White derives its student base from the "red T."

Old 01-14-2009, 08:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I would imagine that State College turns into a ghost town after PSU gets out for the summertime.
State College is great in the summer time. It is just perfect. I woud say 25% of the student body stays up there. Apartment leases are still active during summer, so some kids stay up there instead of going home, most take summer classes, and some stay for work. I stayed up there for only one summer, and it was a great summer (from what I remembered of it). The bars were not packed, but they were just crowded enough.

THe population density of that town is very dense when the students are there. During the summer it is more like an average town.

But then there is that weekend in the summer when arts fest comes to town.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:30 PM

21 posts, read 56,740 times
No love for Toonatown, I see.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:10 AM

125 posts, read 448,339 times
Reading is a giant chunk of flaming deuce.

Those outlets are almost all closed.

The one on 9th street is abandoned and now inahbited by the homeless..broke in there once..was nice if you need to capture that Chernoble feel. The Reading Railroad outlet is abandoned and the only thing there is the dicount grocery store with the rotting fruit. and VF..well actually I like VF.

The suburbs are over rated...and quickly being overtaken by crime as well.

The Rphils are the one redeaming quality of this county...love those games more than major league games.

at least Scranton has The Office.

Old 01-23-2009, 09:13 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman89 View Post
Reading is a giant chunk of flaming deuce.

Those outlets are almost all closed.

The one on 9th street is abandoned and now inahbited by the homeless..broke in there once..was nice if you need to capture that Chernoble feel. The Reading Railroad outlet is abandoned and the only thing there is the dicount grocery store with the rotting fruit. and VF..well actually I like VF.

The suburbs are over rated...and quickly being overtaken by crime as well.

The Rphils are the one redeaming quality of this county...love those games more than major league games.

at least Scranton has The Office.
I just don't understand how Reading can be so full of crime. It's not that big, but seems to have as much crime as Houston (which has about 2 million people.)
Can't the police take control of it? Everything I hear about Reading is negative, and often times scary.
We will be in the surrounding area, Sinking Spring. Is it safe there?
Thanks!
Stephanie

Old 01-23-2009, 09:21 AM

2,488 posts, read 2,934,177 times
Why none for my hometown of Toonyville?

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Altoona may be a "poor chile" now, but it was once the jewel in the Pennsylvania Railroad. As rail is resurrected, I predict that Altoona will rise again.

Remember, before petroleum, there were boats and railroads.
After petroleum, there will be boats and electrified railroads.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:09 PM

463 posts, read 1,565,350 times
I was actually in Altoona briefly in December for the first time, and I was left with a good impression of the city.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:17 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
I was actually in Altoona briefly in December for the first time, and I was left with a good impression of the city.
I was surprised to find that it has AMTRAK service (Pittsburgh to New York City route). Sadly, there's only one train per day.... now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvanian_(Amtrak)

But I will predict that within ten years, rail will make a major comeback, in long haul cargo, and passenger service. And all those sleepy small towns along railroad tracks will start to shine, once again.

Rail towns are going to become the best place for "smart money" to move in to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania