Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times

Advertisements

It had been a few months since I bought Tastykakes, but today the store had a bargain, 5 for $10. I gave into my begging children and filled my own urge for a Kandykake.

We got home, ready to feast on the sugar filled bounty in front of us. My kids inhaled kandykakes and cupcakes. I ate mine and thought, WTF? This tastes like crap. Thinking I might have a bad kake, I ate a jelly krimpet and almost spit it out. My kids scrambled for my uneaten remains.

Only 1 of 3 things could have happened.

1) I have hit some magical age, where sugary baked goods taste like crap(I'll miss you Krispy Kreme).

2) The new markings on the box say "Baked in a Green Building". The new bakery is turning out crap, instead of the well seasoned bakery pans of the past.

3) Tastykake has changed ingredients to the cheapest possible stuff.

Has anyone noticed this or am I alone in noticing the awful new taste of Tastykakes?

BTW, no, they are not stale or near the expiration date. I checked
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I've never been a huge fan of those sorts of baked goods, but I'd say "yes" to all three.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:33 AM

120 posts, read 289,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
It had been a few months since I bought Tastykakes, but today the store had a bargain, 5 for $10. I gave into my begging children and filled my own urge for a Kandykake.

We got home, ready to feast on the sugar filled bounty in front of us. My kids inhaled kandykakes and cupcakes. I ate mine and thought, WTF? This tastes like crap. Thinking I might have a bad kake, I ate a jelly krimpet and almost spit it out. My kids scrambled for my uneaten remains.

1) I have hit some magical age, where sugary baked goods taste like crap(I'll miss you Krispy Kreme).

2) The new markings on the box say "Baked in a Green Building". The new bakery is turning out crap, instead of the well seasoned bakery pans of the past.

Has anyone noticed this or am I alone in noticing the awful new taste of Tastykakes?

I thought the same thing, brought the peanut butter tandy cakes, ugh
ever since they moved to the new plant, not the same, the same thing with Breyers ice cream, way back when it was made in Philly as soon as they were brought out and moved the product changed for the worse, my new favorite is Blue Bunny, great ice cream

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post

I am a tastykake expert( take my word for it ok?) yes they have changed and they suck now. They've also jacked the price way up in the machines at work.
I know they were bought out because they were stuggling. I was also told that they changed all of their equipment like the oven pans and stuff. All of that goodness was in those old pans and now it's gone! That's one theory anyway.
I'm done with them, They've lost their best customer. It's been at least 4 months and I will not go back.

Bye bye Tasykake, good luck.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:17 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
You might want to carefully check the ingredients on what you are eating: http://money.msn.com/shopping-deals/who-is-putting-wood-in-your-food-thestreet.aspx?cp-documentid=6792745

Apparently there is more than one company that is busy selling us sawdust today. It’s nice how these companies can take it on themselves to decide that we don’t want real chicken, beef or real custard.

I did not see Tastykake listed - but it could be my oversight.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,241 times
Its not you, Tastykake changed their recipe several years ago. I can't believe how down hill they have gone. Its not even the same thing. Might as well just give them Little Debbie or Hostess crap nowadays. Butterscotch Krimpets, where have you gone?

Its sad. Too bad they got bought out. It would be better for the brand for them to just shut down or least stop embarrassing the great Tastykake name, stop using it!

Old 06-14-2011, 01:38 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,184,109 times
I bought an eclair pie a few weeks ago with my coffee. It was in a metal tin, I should of seen the writing on the wall.
I suppose I will start eating hostess and little Debbie. What a sad end to a PA tradition.

Someone mentioned Breyers, that is sad to hear too. Although either as a kid or today we never bought much Breyers to notice.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,594,419 times
I bought a box of Butterscotch Krimpets where I live (Florida) a local Publix stocks them along with other PA favs, problem is when I bited into them, I did not have a flashback of my younger days in PA, I first thought maybe it was because they were not as fresh, not the case. Then I thought, maybe I'm just getting old and what I ate as a kid does not taste the same? Nope, they changed the recipe or the baking process. Well reading the posts here supports that thought. Not only did the cake taste like it was pumped full of air, the icing was not the same either.

Big downer!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:50 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,255,241 times
blauskies, I too used to live in FL and was excited when Publix started carry Tastykakes. I also thought I would start reliving my childhood with each bite of those heavenly Krimpets.

Nope. It sucked.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
I used to look forward to buying them whe n I could find them in Arizona but anymore they aren't worth the price, I do like a Krimpet with my Root Beer after a Cheesesteak though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania