Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 10:02 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,717,544 times

Advertisements

Philly Makes Its Pitch for Amazon HQ
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/video...mazon-hq-video
WATCH: Mayor Kenney Makes Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 10:08 AM

9,370 posts, read 13,034,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with this. My time in the city limits of Philadelphia is rather limited, but I've been in suburban Philly (Chester and Montgomery Counties) a few times and a bit of it does not really feel that unfamiliar to what you see here to me, just on a smaller scale of course.
I'd describe the two cities as having a few striking differences while still sharing a lot of subtle similarities.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:10 AM

34,257 posts, read 18,628,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post

I can't watch Mayor Kenney. He makes my eyes bleed.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I can't watch Mayor Kenney. He makes my eyes bleed.
I don't think he's too bad! Nutter was definitely better, 100%... but Kenney is just a little drunk Irish boy.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:08 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,863,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
I think the primary miscommunication on this issue boils down to this...

Pittsburgh, because of its unique position doesn't have a city that it's extremely similar to. It's quite similar to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and buffalo. In my opinion, its most similar to Philadelphia, actually, just smaller.

Philadelphia is also very similar to Pittsburgh. However, due to its east coast location, it has other cities it's MORE similar than Pittsburgh - aka Baltimore.

In conclusion, Pittsburgh is most like Philadelphia, but Philadelphia is not most like Pittsburgh.
Having lived in both Pittsburgh and Philly I have to disagree. While there are some similarities between Pittsburgh and Philly, they are very different and these differences are quite evident if you spend significant amounts of time in both cities. Here are just a few differences that can be discussed in depth, but I can add to the list later in the thread if necessary:

1) Topography (Philly is mostly flat and Pittsburgh as we all know has some pretty big hills and a beautiful skyline due to these hills)
2) Growth (Philly is growing and this is quite evident with all of the projects that are happening and every time I visit something has changed. While I think Pittsburgh is finally starting to grow again, this is relatively new and there are less changes than Philly)
3) Diversity (Philly is a much more diverse city than Pittsburgh and this is evident when you are walking around and the amount of ethnic stores and restaurants is pretty amazing in Philly)
4) Population Density (Walking around Philadelphia it is definitely easy to notice the differences in population density.
5) Culture (The culture in Philadelphia is way different than Pittsburgh and this includes the pace of daily life, the unique ethnic enclaves like the Chinatown area, the art and music scenes, etc.)

Old 09-20-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I don't think he's too bad! Nutter was definitely better, 100%... but Kenney is just a little drunk Irish boy.
I don't think Kenney's a bad person (and seems to be an okay mayor so far), but he's a union ppl in Johnny Dock's pocket. Not quite so innocent as any regular old drunk Irish boy.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM

Philadelphia sent a staffer to Seattle to help 'understand the Amazon culture'

Read more here:
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/19/phil...n-hq2-bid.html

Old 09-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't think Kenney's a bad person (and seems to be an okay mayor so far), but he's a union ppl in Johnny Dock's pocket. Not quite so innocent as any regular old drunk Irish boy.
*Union pol.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:34 PM

32,967 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
You do realize that practically every single city/metro area in the US over 1 million in population has a full time team working on a bid for Amazon right? Lol... Pittsburgh isn't alone here. There are literally dozens of cities working on a bid for this.
And there's a thread for each of them.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:34 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,905,845 times
Now which Pennsylvania city is a Leader in AI technology.

Quote:

Bezos Says Artificial Intelligence to Fuel Amazon's Success

Amazon.com Inc. is embracing artificial intelligence to deliver goods more quickly, enhance its voice-activated Alexa assistant and create new tools sold to others through its cloud-computing division, Chief Executive Officer Jeff Bezos said in his annual shareholder letter.

Changes ushered in by artificial intelligence and machine learning will help the companies that embrace them and put up barriers for those who don’t, the world’s second-richest man wrote in a 1,700-word letter released Wednesday.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...azon-s-success
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania