Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,890,414 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh has a Full Time team of 20 working on the proposal alone and investing $500K on the bid itself.

Quote:
Peduto Says Full-Time Team Is Working On Amazon HQ2 Proposal, Willing To Invest $500K On Bid

Pittsburgh's proposal to become the location of Amazon's second headquarters includes a full-time team of up to 20 people, Mayor Bill Peduto said Monday.

"This isn't something that you can do part time," Peduto said.

Their time investment is expected to come paired with a city-wide investment of $500,000 to develop the proposal, which is due Oct. 19. The bulk will come from private investors, Peduto said

Peduto Says Full-Time Team Is Working On Amazon HQ2 Proposal, Willing To Invest $500K On Bid | 90.5 WESA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 02:38 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Pittsburgh has a Full Time team of 20 working on the proposal alone and investing $500K on the bid itself.
You do realize that practically every single city/metro area in the US over 1 million in population has a full time team working on a bid for Amazon right? Lol... Pittsburgh isn't alone here. There are literally dozens of cities working on a bid for this.

Old 09-19-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
You do realize that practically every single city/metro area in the US over 1 million in population has a full time team working on a bid for Amazon right? Lol... Pittsburgh isn't alone here. There are literally dozens of cities working on a bid for this.
LOL - Just keep right on laughing RoW.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:39 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Do you even know what a Midwestern culture is?
He was born and raised in Kansas City, MO so, yeah, he knows....probably more than you.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:46 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Draw concentric circles around Philly, and Pittsburgh, and see which encompasses more buying power, and more large, significant metro areas, and markets. It ain't the Burgh. Yinz know?
None of your logic will matter to her. Some of us on the philly board "tangle" with her from time to time on this thread.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:30 PM

How Philly's bike culture? Apprently its key attribute for Amazon.. Pittsburgh's mayor is nicknamed "Bicycle Bill" by his detractors for his love of placing bike lanes all over the city.

Quote:
WANT AMAZON’S NEW HQ IN YOUR TOWN? MUST HAVE BIKE LANES, SAYS AMAZON

For big employers like Amazon, it doesn’t matter what city you’re in — locating in a neighborhood with good bikeways makes good business sense. More bike infrastructure means more biking, which means healthier, happier workers; salaries that go further, thanks to lower commuting costs; and millions of dollars that don’t have to be spent on garage space.

Want Amazon's new HQ in your town? Must have bike lanes, says Amazon • PeopleForBikes
Quote:
Bike Commuting: Pittsburgh 8, Philadelphia 11

Transit+Biking Commuting: Philadelphia 7, Pittsburgh 8

Bike + Walk Commuting: Pittsburgh 5, Philadelphia 9

2016 Census numbers: Pittsburgh bucks national trend, sees large increase in bike commuters - BikePGH : BikePGH
Quote:
Bike Commuting Growth Has Leveled Off – But Not Everywhere in the U.S.

A few cities seemed to buck the trend. Pittsburgh, Washington, Detroit, and Cleveland posted all-time highs.

“Since bike lanes have been installed in Pittsburgh, we’ve more than doubled that ACS number,” said Eric Boerer, advocacy director for BikePGH, in an interview. “You can see a pretty sharp rise after 2007.”

Pittsburgh was estimated at 0.4 percent bike commuting in 2000, 1.1 percent in 2007 and now — as of this morning — 2.6 percent.

Bike Commuting Growth Has Leveled Off – But Not Everywhere in the U.S. – Streetsblog USA

Old 09-19-2017, 08:49 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
He was born and raised in Kansas City, MO so, yeah, he knows....probably more than you.
Well obviously, I'm not from the Midwest.. I'm sure he'll answer the question then and if he's really from there, he knows Pittsburgh is nothing like Missouri.....

Old 09-20-2017, 05:25 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,915,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Well obviously, I'm not from the Midwest.. I'm sure he'll answer the question then and if he's really from there, he knows Pittsburgh is nothing like Missouri.....
I think the primary miscommunication on this issue boils down to this...

Pittsburgh, because of its unique position doesn't have a city that it's extremely similar to. It's quite similar to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and buffalo. In my opinion, its most similar to Philadelphia, actually, just smaller.

Philadelphia is also very similar to Pittsburgh. However, due to its east coast location, it has other cities it's MORE similar than Pittsburgh - aka Baltimore.

In conclusion, Pittsburgh is most like Philadelphia, but Philadelphia is not most like Pittsburgh.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:17 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Pittsburgh, because of its unique position doesn't have a city that it's extremely similar to. It's quite similar to Philadelphia, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and buffalo. In my opinion, its most similar to Philadelphia, actually, just smaller.

Philadelphia is also very similar to Pittsburgh. However, due to its east coast location, it has other cities it's MORE similar than Pittsburgh - aka Baltimore.

In conclusion, Pittsburgh is most like Philadelphia, but Philadelphia is not most like Pittsburgh.
I agree for the most part. West Philadelphia and Northwest Philadelphia definitely have a lot of similarities to Pittsburgh.

Center City, South and North Philly feel like some Manhattan, some Brooklyn, some Baltimore.

Northeast Philly has a Staten Island vibe.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

I agree with this. My time in the city limits of Philadelphia is rather limited, but I've been in suburban Philly (Chester and Montgomery Counties) a few times and a bit of it does not really feel that unfamiliar to what you see here to me, just on a smaller scale of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania