Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 08:38 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,814,788 times

Advertisements

Florida native new to Erie, I have no idea what is in store for me as far as winter is concerned. I heard that it might be unwise to lock in a flight from Pittsburgh to my hometown for Christmas this far in advance because it is possible that I-79 will be blocked due to blizzards or flights may have to be rescheduled.

I'm skeptical, is it really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:52 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
No it has been two consecutive years of mild winters and they keep the roads really clear

Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
Yeah don't worry about the trip from Erie to Pittsburgh in the winter, 79 is salted and plowed very well. The only trip to be truly worried about is Erie to Buffalo and back during the winter can be very hit or miss.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,967,818 times
It would have to be one heck of a storm for 79 to be closed. The only time I remember was 1993 during the St. Patrick's Day blizzard.

The snowiest part of 79 when it snows is between Edinboro and Meadville (the snow belt). Once you're south of I-80, it's usually not as much snow and they keep the road clear.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:23 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,971 times
Leave REALLY EARLY and don't run yourself short of time and you should be okay. I don't go to/from Erie more than 2x per year, but my parents go there all the time to have a social life, and they have never reported any impassible roads. Not too many bad accidents, either. That I-90 snowbelt with its whiteouts is the bad area, not I-79, from what I hear.

I commuted from Hermitage (PA, like I-80 area) to Washington, PA in Jan/Feb, daily for over a month. I tried all the routes:
Hermitage to Mercer to I-80 then I-79 to WashPA (Most of the trip is I-79)

I-376 (former Rt 60) to I-76 (PA Turnpike) to Cranberry then I-79 to WashPA

I-376 all the way to I-79 to WashPA (takes you right past the airport)

Overall, I think they did a much better job of keeping I-376 (toll road) cleared and treated than they did I-79. You might want to look at the time/distance difference if you were to cut over to I-376 and run it down to the airport. It's well-traveled. And you have to go west of I-79 anyhow, so you might just be better off to do it on the northern end of the trip if I-79 is looking crappy. Tolls for Class 1 are $1.80 and $1.00, total $2.80 now, if I read the fee schedule right.

I had to be on the job in WashPA by 7AM and sometimes 6AM. So we are talking some unusual early-AM commuting here, for certain. LOL

I never encountered an impassible road. Some ice, more than I'd like, yes. Early AM, like 3 to maybe 4:30 AM, you might find a snowy untreated road in spots. But probably anytime past 5-6AM, or afternoon, the road crews have plowed and treated any/all of those routes that I mentioned. Sometimes I never left WashPA until 7 or 8 in the evening, and I-79 North might be ice-glazed anytime from 4PM on. From I-80 south, count on a 3-4PM snow or start of an ice glaze because that happens as soon as the sun drops.

They say we got a "bad" snow last year the day after Christmas. I don't remember anything "bad" but I drive a 4WD diesel so "bad" has to be truly bad. But I've been back here 8 years and in all that time, most of the serious snows haven't started until perhaps January and Feb/Mar are the annoying months. Nov/Dec have been mild. BUT, this year is an early Fall by 4-5 weeks, I estimate. We've had a boatload of rain this summer, and I am hoping that means we get no snow. But as a kid, I can remember traveling I-79 and US 422 when they only had one lane plowed each direction and the left lane was 2 ruts in 6" deep snow.

I don't fly much anymore, so I can't comment on the airport and weather's impact on flights. I imagine that if they could keep the old airport open in the huge snows of winter 1977 and 1978, the new airport can handle the current winters. LOL ('77 and '78 were absolute mountains of snow, maybe the worst since the 1950 blizzards that shut down Pittsburgh, says my parents.)

Last edited by SorryIMovedBack; 09-17-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Just throwing this out as I'm wondering.

Is leaving from PIT that much cheaper than CLE, ERI or BUF to warrant the drive?

I'd think that even if it was $100 more for the ticket, leaving from Erie will save you the few hours of driving, fuel and if you can get someone to drop you off, the parking fees.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:13 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I'd say screw Pittsburgh and fly out of Erie. Why add to your stress?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:40 PM

231 posts, read 785,220 times
Yeah, although the winters are generally milder, there are sometimes still pretty bad storms that happen. Just make sure you leave a little earlier than you think you need to so you can go slower if the weather turns bad.

Usually the weather gets better after Meadville or so when you're out of the Snow Belt. But odds are that the weather will be fine, and road crews do a really good job of maintaining the interstates in winter.

But in general I agree with the others who suggested just flying out of Erie. Unless it is truly prohibitively more expensive than flying out of Pittsburgh, it's just so much less stressful not having to make the drive to Pittsburgh airport.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,858,573 times
I love the Erie airport and fly from there as much as I can. I definitely agree with other posters and recommend that you look into Erie first before making the drive.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:31 PM

955 posts, read 4,091,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
Just throwing this out as I'm wondering.

Is leaving from PIT that much cheaper than CLE, ERI or BUF to warrant the drive?

I'd think that even if it was $100 more for the ticket, leaving from Erie will save you the few hours of driving, fuel and if you can get someone to drop you off, the parking fees.
The problem with that is that its very difficult to get direct flights from Erie to anywhere. Most flights from Erie connect in Philadelphia or Detroit. Detroit is not a good choice at Christmas time. Neither are flights from Cleveland or Buffalo, both of these are subject to lake affect snows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania